Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Sled Dog Guardian

Thumbs up Macon, GA Anti-Tethering Bill Passes

Council Bans Animal Tethering

Quote:
Last Update: 2/22/2008 3:15:38 PM
Author: Yenu Wodajo

Dozens of animal rights activists filled Macon City Council chambers Tuesday night to voice their concerns against tethering animals.

They said tying a dog or cat to a chain and leaving it unattended for hours is inhumane.

On the agenda was an ordinance to amend chapter five of the Macon Code of Ordinances.

The previous ordinance said no animal may be tethered for more than eight hours a day.

Animal Control Director Jim Johnson addressed council, saying it would be impossible to enforce how long the animal had been tied up.

Council then amended the resolution, making it unlawful to leave a cat or dog tethered and unattended.

The amended ordinance passed unanimously.
source: WMAZ News

Member of Dogs Deserve Better & In Defense of Animals & The Humane Society of the United States.
Volunteer for the Sled Dog Action Coalition.
Think the sled dog racing industry is humane? Think again!
Sled Dog Issues - Working Toward a Better Tomorrow.

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Mahatma Gandhi
Old 02-27-2008, 08:00 AM
Just try me..

Wow now more dogs can die in shelters! What a great day for dogs! More dogs will get locked in basements, or crated almost 24/7 What a great day for dogs! (wow I can't say how sarcastically that was typed)

The animal rights activists who don't want humans to share their lives with animals-now they must really be celebrating.

What a sad sad day for pet owners
Old 02-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Active Pup

This is ridiculous. I lived in Macon for a year- I just moved last June. I didn't have a fenced backyard, and the only way my dogs could spend any time enjoying themselves outside was on a long tie-out. If I was still living there, they'd now have to spend their entire day cramped in our tiny house and/or crated, rather than running and playing in the yard.

I'm so glad I moved. Macon is all kinds of screwed up.

Cerulea Farm

2 APBTs, 1 Bulldog mix, 1 Chihuahua, 1 Pit/Hound mix, 1 Pyrenees LGD

Plus horses, goats, chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, cats, and rats!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:32 AM
Big Dog

I don't think it's unreasonable though. I think it's more for the people who tie their dogs up day and night and leave them like that to go to work etc...

I know of a few dogs that died while being tied up, one jumped off the deck and broke his neck, they came home from shopping hours later to find him. It's actually in Storee's contract that she will never be tied up.

Lana
Old 02-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Twin 2.0

That's the problem though, Storee'sMom...it's techicially "aimed" at those who abuse tie-outs, but everyone else gets caught in the cross-fire. There was a massive thread on this recently on here...it's worth a read.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 02-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storee's Mom View Post
I don't think it's unreasonable though. I think it's more for the people who tie their dogs up day and night and leave them like that to go to work etc...

I know of a few dogs that died while being tied up, one jumped off the deck and broke his neck, they came home from shopping hours later to find him. It's actually in Storee's contract that she will never be tied up.

Lana
No there was already a law saying you couldn't tie dogs up for more than 8 hours at a time. I know dogs who have died alone in a house, alone in a yard, supervised in a yard, supervised in a house, playing with a stick etc etc. Life is dangerous.

But this will just make people lock dogs up inside, or surrender them to shelters where they can be PTS. A great day for animal rights activists.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:20 PM
Kotah BEAR

*shamed to live in GA*

I let both my dogs run around outside, offleash. They do not go into crates anytime. They are left to roam our house when we are not here. They ride freely in my dad's truck. Geez guess I'm acting inhumane (sarcasim).
People these days...
Old 02-27-2008, 12:22 PM
Just try me..

you are Dak.. you shouldn't own dogs.. its cruel!
Old 02-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakotah View Post
*shamed to live in GA*

I let both my dogs run around outside, offleash. They do not go into crates anytime. They are left to roam our house when we are not here. They ride freely in my dad's truck. Geez guess I'm acting inhumane (sarcasim).
People these days...
Great for your dogs, but not all dogs are safe in these conditions. Many dogs left loose indoors chew and ingest harmful objects (think power cords and batteries, etc.) not to mention that some cause a lot of damage that could result in them being abandoned to a shelter. As for letting a northern breed, scent hound or sight hound off lead outdoors...it may result in saying goodbye forever. So one can't always judge other dogs and thier owners by what does or doesn't work for oneself.

Tethering is merely a tool. Like anything else, it is as humane or inhumane as the person applying it.

Debbie
Old 02-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Kotah BEAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreayl_Chinooks View Post
Great for your dogs, but not all dogs are safe in these conditions. Many dogs left loose indoors chew and ingest harmful objects (think power cords and batteries, etc.) not to mention that some cause a lot of damage that could result in them being abandoned to a shelter. As for letting a northern breed, scent hound or sight hound off lead outdoors...it may result in saying goodbye forever. So one can't always judge other dogs and thier owners by what does or doesn't work for oneself.

Tethering is merely a tool. Like anything else, it is as humane or inhumane as the person applying it.

Debbie
Thanks.
And your red husky (?) looks gorgeous!