Pets Challenge #1

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
that does sound like a good idea. Unfortunetely we live really far away from all relatives and friends so they won't just stop by for a visit for training :(. I do bring her over to their houses when we visit and so far she is doing ok but we rarely ever have people over at our house, mainly because our "out of control dog" so she usually is crated or gated off in the kitchen when we have company. We allow her to try being out and about with company but if she gets too hyper or doesn't listen she goes back to the crate or the kitchen. We have lots of older people that visit so we have to be careful she doesn't hurt anyone.

Brattina88

Maddie ~I woke up with the best idea today! I decided that Maddie is to loose-leash walk AT ALL TIMES, unless I give her the "GoGoGo!" command that I've unknowingly taught her. I swear if she was 50lbs bigger I'd attach her to a sled. This probably seems like common sense to most people, but its my fault because I let her learn that constant tension on the leash is good. Its like I needed to feel if she was there the whole time or something :rolleyes: I feel like this is a Me Challenge and not a pet challenge

Missy ~We're doing better. After not very much progress with food or toy motivation (I've NEVER met a dog that wouldn't eat a tiny bite of hamburger until now) I've turned to the old fashion way. I tell her what to do and then I show her. Unfortunatly this means I pick up her feet to make her down, or put a little pressure on her rear for a sit. The reward has become praise and pets. So, guess what? It's working. She's like "Oh, that's what you want me to do!" She sat today a probably more than a dozen times with my command and a hand signal. Dang that was easy!

Carly ~I've moved from sit stays to down stays because I want her to know what stay means like Maddie does. As in, stay in the position I put you in, no matter what position it is. She's doing pretty well.

Good Job Everybody!

Awesome Brattina88!!! You guys sound like you are doing very well and making a lot of progress! Good job!

Juliefurry~ Ah I see, well then I suppose you could work on it with them there, just make sure you are by her and keep a good eye on her so you can make sure she stays successful and all that. A great thing you could teach her is a place command or to go lay down. Then when you have company over you can send her to her 'place' and she'll stay there while company is over. On the place she can do anything on it as long as she stays on it. She can sit, lay down, stand up, or what ever as long as she is quiet and doesn't get off. Of course it takes training and you'll have to work up to it but it's a wonderful thing to use and I use it with all my dogs. When we are eating I say Go lay down and they all go to their place and lay there until we are done eating. Now every time they see us cooking something they automatically go to their place.

I'm so happy to hear every one is progressing! I've decided I've picked a horrible week to work on heeling lol. Though I did get in a few sessions today on other things :). I worked with Baby on her puppy push ups (Down, sit, and going into a sit from a down). The kennel 'cue' so I can just point and say kennel and she'll go into her kennel. I also worked with her on house manners, not jumping on the furniture and being good in the house :). She did excellent today! Yay for us! Hope to hear how everyone else is doing, I really enjoy hearing about other peoples training sessions and such!

~Amy~

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
My progress is being undermined by the evil Number 1 Kitty. Zeus will be in a down, then Max will slink up and whack him on the rump. And there goes the stay. I've moved the venue to outdoors. But the good news is that Zeus is up to 5 minutes.

Rofl, that's cute though not great for the stay lol. Glad to hear he is doing well! Maybe you could put the kitty in a bedroom or something while you work on it if you need to do it inside. Glad to see progress :).

~Amy~

Hey everyone, how'd training go for everyone today? Were you able to work on it? We had a big Ice storm here and had to go get dog food. On the way home we were in a car accident :(. I'm a little bruised, and my boyfriend has a bit of a cuncussion and a hurt shoulder, other than that we are okay. Still a little shookin up. It totalled <SP? our car though. So no training for today.

~Amy~

Saje

Island dweller
I have done nothing. Partly because I was moving. Partly because it's a super busy week at work and I'm behind and partly because it's FREEZING out. Next week...

amymarley

Started a bit back, but gonna finish Duke on opening up the ref., getting me a drink (aka soda, or beer), hold it, shut the door and bringing it to me. Too bad that he can't open it(the can or bottle)...lol..., I use cans for this purpose..

To bad he can't share a brew with me....
He does have it down kinda good though...just a bit more sessions. Works out great during b-b-q's, he loves it and gets meat off the b-b-q, and I get my brew. Just need to "tighten" it a bit, he some times leave the ref. open...lol
Amy

Brattina88

Oh, Amy, I hope you feel better! That's so scary!

Missy ~ this is totally NOT related to my goal, but today was the first time I took Missy to Pets Mart. She was really nervous for the first couple of minutes, and then she calmed right down and was greeting other dogs and people nicely. I got to talk to a trainer there that I used to work with at a day care, and enrolled her into some classes (more for socialization than anything). I'm so excited!

Maddie~ Also slacking with training today. Its 6 degrees out and the windchill is -I don't even know how low it is- so I have to admit we did not get out for a walk today. I don't think any of them mind.

Carly~ my baby girl has made the most out of today. She managed a 5min down stay!!! I did it while all of the dogs but her were sleeping and I was lounging on the couch watching TV so there weren't any distractions for this first break through. WooHoo!

It's really, really cold! :p

B

brock23

I am changing Otto's goal from a longer down/stay to improving his leash etiquette. He has been very distracted on his walks lately. **** pigeons, he just can't get enough of pointing and flushing them.

amymarley

Brattina88 said:
Oh, Amy, I hope you feel better! That's so scary!

Missy ~ this is totally NOT related to my goal, but today was the first time I took Missy to Pets Mart. She was really nervous for the first couple of minutes, and then she calmed right down and was greeting other dogs and people nicely. I got to talk to a trainer there that I used to work with at a day care, and enrolled her into some classes (more for socialization than anything). I'm so excited!

Maddie~ Also slacking with training today. Its 6 degrees out and the windchill is -I don't even know how low it is- so I have to admit we did not get out for a walk today. I don't think any of them mind.

Carly~ my baby girl has made the most out of today. She managed a 5min down stay!!! I did it while all of the dogs but her were sleeping and I was lounging on the couch watching TV so there weren't any distractions for this first break through. WooHoo!

It's really, really cold! :p

Hi, were you talking about me (Amy) or a different one (Amy)? If me, what is scary? If me, then, I am wondering if I worded the thread wrong, because there is nothing scary about what I trained Dude to do....Just curious...

Hope everyone is doing great with their training.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Victor is working on touch it..we have twist and crawl down..this one he is having a hard time understanding..we give it about 5 minutes three times a day.

animalbiz said:
Hi, were you talking about me (Amy) or a different one (Amy)? If me, what is scary? If me, then, I am wondering if I worded the thread wrong, because there is nothing scary about what I trained Dude to do....Just curious...

Hope everyone is doing great with their training.
She was talking about me, lol my name's Amy as well. I was in a car accident 2 days ago. We are still dong okay, but are really sore. Thanks Brattina88. I'm glad to hear everyone is doing good and training is going well. Yesterday was the last day of the pets challenge, how'd everyone do all together? Do you feel you reached your end goal or got close to it? Of course everyone's welcome to keep on with what they chose to work on! lol, and your also more than welcome to post how it's going :). Look for another pets challenge soon! Thanks everyone for participating! I didn't reach my goal for this challenge at all, too much went on, it was just a bad week. Though I did get in like 3 sessions with one of my dogs today, accomplished the first stages of the down and am now able to add the cue :). And 1 session with Baby, on her name recognition, and puppy push ups. All went well. Hope to hear how everyone did! Thanks again

~Amy~

Brattina88

lol, sorry about the confusion! Next time I'll be more specific ;)

we're still doing really well. Today Missy broke a glass, my favorite candle holder, and a horse statue by thrusting her huge nose on top of my desk and wisking it around everywhere. *sigh* The obediance part is no problem, its the house manners I have to teach this former outside dog :rolleyes:

amymarley

Oh my, I so hope you are feeling better....regarding the car accident! How awful. I also hope everyone is doing well with their training. Amy, I really hope you are doing well, from one Amy to another!lol Take care of yourself and get better!
Amy

Members online

No members online now.