My hermit crabs

Maxy24

I don't think I've ever posted any pics of them here so I thought I'd introduce them. They are great little pets to watch and I recommend them to anyone who is willing to put the work into caring for them properly (most people have no idea what they are doing).

This is Titan, a medium PP (purple pincher) and the first crab I got this time around (I owned them before, about 5 years ago improperly but started again the right way about a year ago after finding a hermit crab forum). I never thought you could really bond with a hermit crab but if there is such a thing as a heart crab this is it. I love him to bits!

Titan eating

This is a comparison of the shell her came in and the one he is in now to show how much he has grown

This is Ophelia, the second living crab I got (I got two before her that died of Post Purchase Stress soon after I bought them), she is also a PP but small, almost a medium. she is very shy so getting good pics of her is tough. The day I brought her home she went under ground for nearly three months:

emerging from the sand

And my most recent crab, Aphrodite. She is my first and only Ecuadorian and is Medium in size, a little larger than Titan. She loves to climb!

Hope you enjoyed them!

They look great. I use to have hermies but they all died. :( Ky's weather changes rapidly and it was very hard for me to keep their tank in appropriate ranges.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
awesome pictures!
Out of curiosity, are they finicky pets to keep? I've always thought they would be pretty easy pets, but maybe I am just in the wrong? I've always wanted one, I love how the look and they seem like something I could really get into.

Maxy24

Thanks guys!

I honestly can't remember why I got them in the first place which is really odd, I usually remember stuff like that. I remember my first pair 6 years ago was Penny and Sandy, I even remember what their shells looked like. Sandy was killed by Penny in a shell fight, it was quite a shock at 11 years old to come home from a sleep over to find your crab ripped to pieces. From then on I got crab after crab after crab and they all lasted a few months. After maybe a year of that I gave up on owning them until last summer when I found a hermit forum. I still loved them as pets, the only reason I had stopped was due to their short life span with me. When I found the forum and learned that I was doing it all wrong and that I could make them live longer I started wanting them again and when on vacation a beach side store had them and I got my parents to agree to let me keep them again.

I wouldn't call them difficult to keep there is just a lot of BAD information out there on their care. They are sold in two gallon or less critter carriers (or worse those stupid wire cages that hold no humidity at all) and people are told they can stay in those things permanently. they need at least a ten gallon tank (that's what I have and I find it limiting, I can only have three crabs due to the size on mine) They are often sold with gravel or a thin layer or substrate. They need something they can fully bury themselves in so they can molt and they can't do that in gravel or in shallow substrate. They need moist sand or coconut fiber (it must be moist for humidity and so the caves they make when they dig don't collapse and suffocate them). Close attention should be payed to temperature and humidity (80 degrees and 80% humidity are about perfect). Those painted shells they are sold in contain paint that is toxic if ingested so they should be kept with only natural shells to change into. Also the food that is sold for them is harmful, it contains preservatives and hermies are related to bugs so are sensitive to chemicals. They should be fed real food, I feed one fruit, one veggie, on meat, egg shell and some source of fat (nuts or oatmeal soaked in extra virgin olive oil) if the meat did not have any (like when I feed shrimp). They also require both fresh and salt water (marine tank salt, not table salt of course) in dishes deep enough for them to bathe. All water must be dechlorinated.

So for me they require enough upkeep to stay interesting and engaging (you really should not do too much handling as stress kills them more than anything else) but not so much that you constantly kill them. Once you pass the two month or so mark and still have them alive and healthy you should be good for a while. if they die in those first couple of months PPS is most likely the cause. All hermits are taken from the wild, shipped to suppliers, then stores where they live in downright criminal conditions (Petco is actually not too bad in many places) and then to your home. It's a lot of stress and does kill them.

They are new to the pet world and live longer in the wild than in captivity because people do not know how to care for them properly, we cannot breed them in captivity either (some have been able to get the hermies to breed through miming tides and other environmental changes that occur through the year but the babies don't live long), it's a shame that they are considered by many to be a throw away pet. if you think they would be good pets for you then definitely look into them, they are interesting critters.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Thanks guys!

I honestly can't remember why I got them in the first place which is really odd, I usually remember stuff like that. I remember my first pair 6 years ago was Penny and Sandy, I even remember what their shells looked like. Sandy was killed by Penny in a shell fight, it was quite a shock at 11 years old to come home from a sleep over to find your crab ripped to pieces. From then on I got crab after crab after crab and they all lasted a few months. After maybe a year of that I gave up on owning them until last summer when I found a hermit forum. I still loved them as pets, the only reason I had stopped was due to their short life span with me. When I found the forum and learned that I was doing it all wrong and that I could make them live longer I started wanting them again and when on vacation a beach side store had them and I got my parents to agree to let me keep them again.

I wouldn't call them difficult to keep there is just a lot of BAD information out there on their care. They are sold in two gallon or less critter carriers (or worse those stupid wire cages that hold no humidity at all) and people are told they can stay in those things permanently. they need at least a ten gallon tank (that's what I have and I find it limiting, I can only have three crabs due to the size on mine) They are often sold with gravel or a thin layer or substrate. They need something they can fully bury themselves in so they can molt and they can't do that in gravel or in shallow substrate. They need moist sand or coconut fiber (it must be moist for humidity and so the caves they make when they dig don't collapse and suffocate them). Close attention should be payed to temperature and humidity (80 degrees and 80% humidity are about perfect). Those painted shells they are sold in contain paint that is toxic if ingested so they should be kept with only natural shells to change into. Also the food that is sold for them is harmful, it contains preservatives and hermies are related to bugs so are sensitive to chemicals. They should be fed real food, I feed one fruit, one veggie, on meat, egg shell and some source of fat (nuts or oatmeal soaked in extra virgin olive oil) if the meat did not have any (like when I feed shrimp). They also require both fresh and salt water (marine tank salt, not table salt of course) in dishes deep enough for them to bathe. All water must be dechlorinated.

So for me they require enough upkeep to stay interesting and engaging (you really should not do too much handling as stress kills them more than anything else) but not so much that you constantly kill them. Once you pass the two month or so mark and still have them alive and healthy you should be good for a while. if they die in those first couple of months PPS is most likely the cause. All hermits are taken from the wild, shipped to suppliers, then stores where they live in downright criminal conditions (Petco is actually not too bad in many places) and then to your home. It's a lot of stress and does kill them.

They are new to the pet world and live longer in the wild than in captivity because people do not know how to care for them properly, we cannot breed them in captivity either (some have been able to get the hermies to breed through miming tides and other environmental changes that occur through the year but the babies don't live long), it's a shame that they are considered by many to be a throw away pet. if you think they would be good pets for you then definitely look into them, they are interesting critters.
Wow, thanks for the detailed response! I wouldn't say I ever saw them as a throw away pet (I don't see any pets as a throw away pet), but I thought of them as more of a "beginner" pet. I guess this mind frame is what is doing them harm, as people think "oh a hermit crab would be a great pet for my 3 year old" when obviously, they need more care then many would think!

If you're still on it/still know the website, would you be able to direct me to the forum you're on? I'm very interested in getting one... probably won't be for a while (my parents say no more pets), but I do like to research and know all about the care before getting a pet, no matter what kind. I would google it... but I fear that I'd come across sites that are giving the wrong information about care on them.

Thanks again! And sorry for kind of thread jacking lol

Maxy24

No problem at all, I totally welcome thread jacking in my threads. Here is the forum (which I am still on): HCA: Hermit Crab Association® :: Index

and some good sites:
HermitCrabCentral

HERMIT-CRABS.COM. Your hermit crab care headquarters!
-I don't agree with everything she says but it's still a good site with lots of info.

If you read around that forum for a while you'll find all the info you need (I left stuff out, if I told you everything it'd be a really big post lol) but if you have ANY questions feel free to send me a PM. The initial set up can be a little pricey. You have to get a tank (though if you search you can find them cheap online, find ones with small cracks that keep them from holding water) and substrate (a trip to the beach however will get you plenty of free sand plus a big bag of play sand is cheap). Then you DO have to by water conditioner and marine salt (but you don't use a ton so the same box of salt could last years) plus all the decorations you want and spare shells for them to grow into (smaller shells can be found cheap in craft stores). You have to get a heat lamp (better than an under tank heater IMO) and humidity and temperature gauges. Food bowls and water bowls need to be bought (my water bowls are a plastic Tupperware container and the plastic container my crab came home in).
But once you have the setup you spend no money on food (you feed them just a bit of what you already have in the house) and only need to get new substrate once a year when you deep clean. Your dechlorinator last a long time and so does the salt. They cost less than any other pet I've owned so my parents don't care that I keep them. I do need to stick to a ten gallon though so I can bring them to college.

I hope you can get them when you are ready, they are great little guys!

puppydog

Tru evil has no pantyline
Awwww! They are so gorgeous! We have them wild here and I love watching them. I especially love your new female. She has gorgeous eyes!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I love them! and they look so healthy and happy..unlike those ones in the tiny habitats you see at the petstore

RufusLove

Wow, this really brings me back! My first pet was a hermit crab, in 1st grade and I loved it but i definitely agree, they need more care than you think!

Members online

No members online now.