Starving Dog is Art?

L

Lyka_01

Nothing surprises me any more. Not after the lady did an art exhibit of used tampons, the guy who put rosaries into jars of urin, and that fella 10 years or so ago who did photos of grown men uriniating into the mouths of children....
OMG...
What an idea...
i can't even image those people really do that just to be recognize...
how poor they are...

Anyway FreachKissed your dog in your signature is the best example of good recognition I guess, good dog, I think you have a very smart dog...:D

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
what really boils me is the arguement that because this "piece" is being discussed and i am sure on more then just this forum, it is there for art. THat the artist made the public sit up and take awareness of what? our degredation, or repulsion? I only hope that there is a place for people that twist things in this way. HE could have painted it, or sculpted it, he could have made it look so real you had to touch it to know it's not, to make his point, but that would not have been near as successful in reaching as many people. Because people LIKE to talk about awful things and spread it like feathers in the wind, it became widely known. Art is a reflection of our lives, and if this is what it is coming down to, then i don't know what to say, but shake my head and shudder. There is a line and i believe this crosses it. It is not art just because it sits in a gallery. IT is not art because this "artist" had a vision of it sitting in a gallery. Is it art tho because we discuss the ethics of it? I don't think so. An insult to those of us that are trying to make statements about the world we live in.

They just had a similar exhibit, though it was a film format, rather than live, in San Francisco. There is some very sick garbage being passed off as art these days. At least they shut this exhibit down.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/03/29/BAGNVSRME.DTL
SAN FRANCISCO
Art Institute halts exhibition showing killing of animals
Workers threatened; video unclear about why deaths filmed
Ilana DeBare, Chronicle Staff Writer

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
It is sort of a hoax.
http://thepetextraordinarium.blogspot.com/2008/03/starving-dog-exhibit-reported-as-hoax.html
Costa Rica has a horrible feral dog problem. S/n is unheard of and sick and injured dogs are everywhere.
Well, with the affirmation that it is a hoax . . .

I just don't know. It still strikes me as a pretty miserable thing to do .. . but he's got a point about people (all over the world) caring about a dog in a gallery and not at all about one on the street .. . What happened to the dog?

On the other hand, the plight of a dog tied up in a gallery by people and the plight of a feral dog are pretty much categoricially different things.

2dogmom

Pound Puppy
There are conflicting reports about what happened to the dog. You can read it on the snopes link. Some people claim that the dog was starved to death in the name of art. The art director though says that the dog was fed and cared for, but was tied up in the room near the dog food on the wall during the exhibit. The dog was so scrawny that it was heartbreaking. And ther are reports that the dog escaped and/or was released back to the streets.

I was just in Costa Rica coincidentally. The feral dogs seem happy but OMG was it sad to see. I wanted to take a handful to the vet and bring them home with me. I guess they blend in with the background as far as the locals are concerned - they don't even s/n their own pets. In the house next to where we were staying they had about four dogs, one was a bitch in heat, some kind of terrier mix. She was tied up and ALL the neighborhood males were standing in line to take their turns. Every 20 minutes or so the father of the household would come out with a BB gun and drive them off to about 20 ft away. This went on for about 4-5 days. Unbelievable. So I guess I am giving the artist the benefit of the doubt based on what I saw. I don't know what you would have to do to shake those people up about dog overpopulation. That poor bitch was screeching all day long and that alone would have made a lot of people at least think about spaying her. I realize this is one isolated incident, but that was actually a fairly nice home. Made me wonder what goes on among the poor people who have dogs.

Members online

No members online now.