Find Me NextDog: Saurus Edition v 2.0

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Ok, ok, ok, obvious answer alert coming.

GSP :D and why....

Bigger than 60lbs - check. Fred is 32kg. Large size dog, but 27kg is 60lb so plenty of room to manoeuvre there.

Non-shedding or longhair - absolutely no lab or GSD coats, although I waver on whether I'd tolerate a Vizsla/Dobe-type coat. - well, self explanatory. We don't have hair issues.

Medium to High energy as an adult - check. Medium to high energy is standard!

Dog park dog - check. The standard dictates they should like people and dogs!

Jogging companion- check!!! Very much check.

Swimmer- check!!!! They love swimming.

Off-leash dog would be lovely without being a necessity. - check!! They roam far and can be prone to chase but they are very trainable. Fred's recall is great, the only time he's on lead is near busy roads. I've been out with group of 10+ gsp and all were off lead and very well behaved :)

A snuggly dog would be nice, but I don't have a huge preference on a velcro or aloof temperament anymore. I like velcro with the ability to give me some personal space. - hmmmmm... This might be hard, they aren't sure what personal space is!! But crate train well, and it's all in the training!!

I would kill a barky dog - they're vocal, but I wouldn't say barky. They aren't yappers. They might alert bark. And they like to roo and growl in play and talk to you, but they're not incessant barky barky barkers. Come back to add to this bit..... Fred barks in play and when he's being a diva (as seen in my videos!), but that's not all the time, and we slightly encourage him ;) because it's funny and we can and it's ok for us!!! He whines a lot when he's bored or unsettled.

A dog that can be taught to retrieve would be great. - well duh. Goes without saying.

Grooming is not a concern, I enjoy it. If I can't do it myself I'll pay for it. - wash and go dogs, why waste money :p

And they're gorgeous!!!! And funny. You wouldn't be bored.

Only thing I will say is they're quite needy, need people, can't be left alone too long. So if you want a more... Independent dog, prob don't want one.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
What about a Chessie?
May be a fit if she wants a more protective, serious dog. They do have a short dense coat, but it has a completely different texture than a lab or GSD.

I also wouldn't say they are dog park dogs...Abrams is a pretty social dog and is too much of a wuss to be aggressive , but the breed does have a propensity for DA or SSA.

Mina

BRT - "the black watch"
The Barbet would be a gr8 choice,
size aside; 60 pounds would be pushing it.

As for dogs which fill all the requirements,
the (male - for size) Irish Water Spaniel and
Spinone Italianio come, immediately, to mind.

Locke

I think a male standard poodle would fit your bill, but it can be hard to find healthy lines that tip past the 55-60 lb mark.

A doodle might suit your wants better.

Members online

No members online now.