Votes: 8 24.2%
  • no

Votes: 19 57.6%
  • not sure

Votes: 6 18.2%

• Total voters

filarotten

Fila the love
Oc-that is where they are from. The national dog of Brazil.
BTW, Brutie is named after the famous brazilian war dog...Brutus. But then, my husband had to add Maximus to it...kinda blew the brazilian theme. lol They have a statue of this famous Fila somewhere in Brazil. I have only seen pictures.

filarotten

Fila the love
BigDog, I can't really give you a good description as Brutus is still a puppy. Although, a really big, big puppy. I don't remember every detail about his mother and only saw pictures of his father, as he was in Brazil. One thing I can tell you...look at the walk. Filas, are the only dog with a camel walk. Two legs move together on one side, in harmony. This gives them a roll to their walk. Their hind-end is somewhat higher than their shoulders. But, Bruties hind-end has been really high for a few months. Finally getting more in proportion though.:D
Saggy skin under the neck(dewlap), and runs all the way under the tummy. Most Filas will have somewhat of a crook in the tail. Those are the easiest things for me to remember to differentiate the Filas from the other mastiff breeds. They also don't have much stop on their forehead/face.
I really need to change the pictures of Brutus in my sig. He looks nothing like that. I think he was maybe 3 mos., maybe 4 mos. old. It seems to be hard to catch all of the details with the dark brindle Filas, unless you are good at photograpy. And, as we all know, I suck at photography. Not my forte.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Zoom said:
Gem, I think I actually know the kennel/breeder you're talking about ... NoDib Kennels? I just worked with a girl who works for that lady.
I have no idea. It was about a 5-minute conversation, and we were too busy admiring and asking questions about the fila. :rolleyes:

But I imagine that it probably is the same lady. I don't think there can be too many fila breeders is Austin!

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
filarotten said:
You will never know the love of a dog, until you own a Fila. They are a rare breed.
There are a lot of dogs in my area, even rare ones, but I've never seen a Fila. I would have to say that there are a LOT of dogs that are so devoted and absolutely love their owners and show it completely. I just don't like the fact that you said 'you'll never know the love of a dog'. It might have just been the way you phrased it, as you don't sound like you'd intentionally mean it.

filarotten

Fila the love
Sorry that upset you, Swiftwind. I will re-phrase it. You will never "understand the love of a Fila" until you have one. They love, like no other dog. Is that better?

RD

Are you dead yet?
Ive seen several, there is one awesome boy around here called Tonka but I haven't seen him in a couple of weeks.. He really stands out, and is an awesome dog once he gets to know you. He's very intimidating at first - I think a lot of it is his size. He took immediately to my dog but needed weeks to be comfortable enough around me to go off guard and accept my existance. Once he was okay with me and figured out that I was the one who gave ear scratches and yummy treats, he absolutely would not leave me alone! Talk about a velcro dog, I couldn't leave the park without slime all up and down my legs. Last time he saw me he absolutely had a fit, bouncing around and smothering me with drool.
I would agree that there's something special about the relationship you have with Filas. They're a really unique breed, I haven't ever met a dog quite like a Fila. (And I thought the Border Collie would be the only breed I say that about!) Tonks isn't even mine, but he's so trusting and loving towards me now that I can't help adoring him.

filarotten

Fila the love
ROFl, Rd...they do like to spread the drool on clothes. Black being the favorite. lol
They really are velcro dogs. I seriously don't know how the poor Filas in shelters survive. They seem to live for the emotional attachment to their humans.

Swiftwind

Harley & Abby
filarotten said:
Sorry that upset you, Swiftwind. I will re-phrase it. You will never "understand the love of a Fila" until you have one. They love, like no other dog. Is that better?
Yes, thank you! :)

filarotten said:
Oc-that is where they are from. The national dog of Brazil.
BTW, Brutie is named after the famous brazilian war dog...Brutus. But then, my husband had to add Maximus to it...kinda blew the brazilian theme. lol They have a statue of this famous Fila somewhere in Brazil. I have only seen pictures.
LOL I know, hence why I said "What a coincidence" ;) They're in kennels all day in people's yard and when night hits they're released into the yard. Of course the best guarders are the ones that actually work with a Brazilian Terrier, or any other more lively dog because when these guys sleep, my gawd do they SLEEP! LOL Gotta have the Brazilian Terrier to hear the burlar and sound the alarm to the Fila to "take care of business" LOL

Members online