What am I doing Wrong...

mctraill

Many thanks Doberluv, after reading your posts there are things which I now understand better. I think I need to find a quiter spot at the park to practice and gradually work up to the busier part.

Cheers

Doberluv

Sounds like a good plan. Let us know how she comes along. It takes lots of time and practice. Nothing big usually happens right away. Another little thing: If you can always look at every skill you're working on in parts, breaking things into smaller parts and working with just one segment of it at a time, that really helps. Don't try to get the whole thing just right before reinforcing your dog. For example: a nice sit/stay: Break it into the "three D's" which are duration, distance from you and distractions. Work on one before the other. Take duration and stand right in front of your dog. Forget stepping away from him at first. Ask for one second and reward, two seconds etc. When he's got the duration part solid for 10 seconds or so, try distance only....step back one step and return immediately in front of him, reward. Then two steps etc. If he breaks the stay, you've gone too far too soon. Anyhow....that sort of thing. Heeling: same thing: he doesn't have to walk beautfully for 50 feet before getting a reinforcer. One step which is tidy, when given a reinforcer will tell him that he's doing it right. Then spread it out to two steps and so on. Later you can vary the reward more and phase out some of them.

And never be afraid to ask questions. That's what forums are for.:)

Members online

No members online now.