Getting started...

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I promised myself and Buddy that when I graduated I would seek out agility with him. Banzai too, maybe. Anyways...

Where does one start?
What commands should Buddy already know before we find a class?
Should we go through an advanced obedience class before starting agility?
How does one know if they have found a legit agility class/instructor?
What do you look for?
What kind of dog can or can not do agility?

I think that is a good start for now. :p TIA!!

PAWZ

Agility Junkie
Hi I've been doing agility for 15 years with my border collies and Aussie here is some of what I look for in an instructor and class

I promised myself and Buddy that when I graduated I would seek out agility with him. Banzai too, maybe. Anyways...

Where does one start? Depending on Buddy's age determines where you start, I would make sure he has an excellent recall, sit and down, then look for an agility club that offers a good foundations class. You can look at this website to help locate a club near you: cleanrun.com click on events then locate school/club and go from there
What commands should Buddy already know before we find a class? a firm grounding in basic obeience is strongly suggested, you'll need a good recall, stay, sit and down
Should we go through an advanced obedience class before starting agility? not unless you really want to. None of my dogs have gone to formal obed classes
How does one know if they have found a legit agility class/instructor? Ask for their qualifications - what titles have they put on their dogs, how many dogs? What types of different dogs? What venues, What are their goals as both handler and instructor. How long have they been doing agility. do they reguarly attend seminars on new handling/training techniques. Talk to students at all levels, watch a class at their beginners level, adv level and masters levels if possible. Also classes should be no more than 8 handler/dog teams more gets confusing and there is too much downtime between things to work on individually
What do you look for? Im looking for a handler that has been doing agility longer than I have, has handled/trained several types of dogs ie high drive, soft personality, strong personality ect. Has good people skills, Has acheived at least one championship on one of their own dogs. Is open to different styles of handling - its not just their way or the highway
What kind of dog can or can not do agility? I have yet to see a specific breed of dog that cannot do agility, even dogs that have hip dysplasia or had FHO done can compete, However a visably lame dog cannot and should not, a dog with visual problems should not. I have seen everything from Chi's to Great Danes do agility some are great some are not all depends on the dog

I think that is a good start for now. :p TIA!!

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Thanks, PAWZ. :) Can you recommend a good site or a couple, that offer a run down of agility terms and what not. I have a feeling I'd ask a lot of questions and then not fully understand the answers due to my lack of agility lingo. :p Thank you for your help! :)

ETA: Thanks, Mafia! :)

you may try

You may try your local kennel club--even though Wrigley isn't a purebred anything he still takes classes there and they are accomplished trainers that are really into agility.

PAWZ

Agility Junkie
Agile Kindergarten
Agile Kindergarten is divided into three areas of training: Clicker Work, Hind-End awareness and Focus (attention) work. Clicker training is for both the handler and the dog. We work with the handler to perfect their clicker timing and show them how to shape the wanted behavior while getting the dog used to the sound of the clicker and realizing what the sound means. Hind-end awareness is for the dog. To accomplish the task of making the dog aware of their hind-end we utilize equipment such as the perch, wobble board, ladder and flat boards. This work is an essential building block to allow the dogs to perform the agility equipment in a safe manner. Focus work is accomplished through fun drills and games which will make the dog want to watch the handler for more instructions. All work in this class is performed on lead.

Prerequisite: Basic Obedience Commands (sit, stay, down, come, etc.)

Beginner Agility--

Beginner Agility is focused mainly on the dog. This is the class where the dogs learn how to safely perform the agility obstacles. During this class, the teams will be introduced to all of the standard agility equipment. Contact equipment will not be performed at regulation height during this class. For the handler in this class, the concept of contact criteria is introduced along with the naming of the obstacles. All work performed in this class is on lead.

There are a variety of flavors ( venues ) for agility, I am guessing that you are in the US.
The 3 main ones are AKC -highest title offered MACH -pure bred dogs only, USDAA(United States Dog Agility Assoc) highest title offered ADCH mixed breed allowed, NADAC (North American Dog Agility Council) highest title offered NATCH mixed breeds allowed.

If you let me know what terms you need explained let me know I'll do my best.

milos_mommy

Where does one start? i'd get a vet check to make sure bones and joint and heart are healthy enough to do agility, then ask your vet or search for a good class.
What commands should Buddy already know before we find a class? he really only needs the basics...sit, down, stay, and should have a reliable recall.
Should we go through an advanced obedience class before starting agility? I don't think you need to.
How does one know if they have found a legit agility class/instructor? there are a lot of good threads on this, ask some of the agility girls.
What do you look for? again, seek out some previous threads. You want someone who used positive reinforcement, doesn't lure, and starts with foundation work.
What kind of dog can or can not do agility? most dogs can! if you're competing it's a whole different story, but unless a dog is physically handicapped or won't enjoy it, they can do it. i know some dogs that at 12 or 13 still do agility, a few very shy dogs that have benefited, and dogs of all shapes and sizes.

Members online

No members online now.