The GSD

Jynx

A dutchie is a far cry from a GSD. I've had GSd's over 40 years, always will.
It will be really really tough finding an all black SCH dog, most of the dark dogs in the working lines are DDR, alot of heavy core SCH people, aren't that "into" the DDR dogs, they tend to be handler sensitive. (altho I love my DDR dogs *vbg*)

Personally, I think, you should try to "live" with a Dutchie or a tough working malinois before committing to one. You may find you haven't got what you bargained for. My feeling is, you have to first and foremost be able to live with a dog (any breed), malinois, dutchies especially the hard core working dogs, can be very very hard, (if not impossible at times) to live with.

I have a czech / ddr female who is now 1 1years old with rotten knees..She is STILL hard to live with at times, (I wouldn't trade her for the world ) she is still "testing" boundaries even at this age, she never "walks" she "flits", she can be demanding, bossy and if she isn't exercised atleast 3 hours daily, she is a WITCH to live with. I love her to death, I love everything about her, but I will never have another dog like her with multiple dogs. (I have 4) She has probably always needed more of "me", but has settled for what I can give her, which is still ALOT of my time.

It's great to have dreams, goals, aspirations, we all do , One day I will have a malinois, but I won't have 3 other dogs at the same time. Not fair to any of us.

You really need to "experience" one of these working dogs before committing to one.
Just my 2 cents
Diane

DanL

I don't think it's that hard to find a working line GSD that is all black, but color would be the last consideration I'd have if I was looking for a dog that I could take to a national level.

D

Dobiegurl

DanL said:
I don't think it's that hard to find a working line GSD that is all black, but color would be the last consideration I'd have if I was looking for a dog that I could take to a national level.

Very true!!! I would be more focused with drive and temperament. Most working dogs are darker toned and many are black but color is not on my priority list.

Members online