Another Evo vs Orijen question

whackichic

I have been reading most of the posts about each food. I believe most of you would rather feed Orijen to Evo. There is a place that is literally 2 blocks from my house that sells Evo. I asked her about Orijen and she said she has space issues and is not adding any new foods. There are a few Orijen places but they are driving distance and the closest is parking meter only, which I hate. It's bad enough at work I have to park at a meter for 2 hours (17 min for $.25). I've only been to that store once in the last 2 years.
So I ask, would you stick to the Evo since its right down the street or drive to get the Orijen? Is it that much better than Evo? My dogs like the Evo, seem to be doing well on it. No loose poops, no gas. I'm not sure what else to look for. They are on their 3rd bag.
Tomorrow I am meeting a friend and going to a pet boutique in his city that sells Orijen. I am tempted to buy a bag, but with my dogs sensitive stomachs I'm not sure its worth just feeding them the one bag not knowing if I would go get another bag. I hope this makes sense.
My other question is, does grain free make it easier to switch between brands? And last but not least, would you feed a 1yr old frenchie Evo or wait? He is eating the Royal Canin bulldog stuff right now.
Thank you

Straight up, I really like the EVO RM - Orijen isn't available around here, and I didn't really like the ingredients quite as well overall as the EVO RM for my dogs, so I wouldn't be switching even if Orijen were available. :)

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I can't get Orijen, so when we switch foods I'm hoping to go to EVO. I like EVO over Orijen anyway, higher calories.

Dekka

Just try me..
I Have fed both, and would drive the distance for the Orijen. I like the ingredients better, and most importantly my dogs did better. (even though orijen is slightly lower cal, my hard to keep weigh on dog did better on it) I like both, and the RM was the one I fed (the regular one gave them awful gas) I like both companies too, tho like the one that makes orijen slightly more.

So while I may drive the extra distance, its cause that is the food that works the best for my dogs.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I've only ever used EVO... if I had the chance I would definitely like to try Orijen, but like Dekka said, it really comes down to whatever works best for you dog :)

whackichic

I guess this would fall under if it aint broke why fix it since they are doing fine on Evo. I love the pet store down the street so I think I will stick with it for convenience.
It does say a lot for Orijen you would drive to get it when the other is right there.
I'm going to compare prices at the boutique place.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I would like to try orijen, but my dogs are doing great on EVO. I don't think Orijen is readily available in my immediate area.

whackichic

Nikki,
There's 2 places in Oakland, 1 in Hayward 1 in Berkeley and 1 in Walnut Creek. Wags n Whiskers has 2 stores I believe 1 in Hayward and 1 in Oakland. Neither of them have parking. I am going to Walnut Creek tomorrow to meet w/my friend. The other one in Oakland is in East Oakland. I would rather go to East Oakland than Berkeley.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
As long as your dogs are doing good, yanno, it isn't a big deal! Both Orijen and Evo are on the same level (that level being super-duper premium)... and it sounds like a pain to get the Orijen. You could always stop by and get a test bag of Orijen if you're ever in the area. Either way, you're giving your dogs a really great diet, and that's what matters. : D

Whaaa? You're in the bay area? You had better be coming to the meet up! (if/when it happens, hehe)

mrose_s

BusterLove
Buster used to be on EVO, but I moved away from the store I bought it at (I hated that shop as it was) and it will take me an hour on a bus to get it. So I order Orijen online, Buster loves it.

whackichic

I understand that completely! I hate where the store is that sells the Orijen, the lady that owns it is very nice. I Love the store w/the Evo.

I'm going to stick with the if it aint broke dont fix it and stay on Evo.
Thanks everyone

BostonBanker

I've fed both as well, and would drive up to Canada if I had to in order to stay on the Orijen. Granted, Canada is under an hour for me, but still!

Meg didn't hold her weight well on the Evo, and didn't have quite the same luster about her that she has on Orijen. She also didn't ever dive into it the way she does with Orijen. She can be pretty particular about her treats, but I can now even use her kibble to train!

I think both are great foods, and if you dogs are doing well on the Evo, there is no need to switch. If your dogs didn't have sensitive stomachs, I'd say to try switching for a few months and really see which they did better one. Either way, I think you're doing well by your dogs.

whackichic

Thanks. Like the rest of you, I want what's best for them. I have been equating dog food to cars. I say I am feeding them the Mercedes of dog food. Canidae is like the Honda. The Innova adult is like a Toyota. (Honda good car but costs less than Toyota) I think Orijen would be the Lamborghini of dog foods. Am I way off here? I'm not trying to knock any cars or food just something I use at work to get them to use better food.

Think of EVO RM as the BMW and the Orijen as the Mercedes and you've got it ;)

Lamborghinis are notorious for leaving fast and coming back on a rollback. Pretty and fast but if you depended on one to get you to work and back you'd be screwed. :D

Members online

No members online now.