Sick puppy

lizzybeth727

I just think it's funny that for many behavioral problems in puppies, the vets' answer is usually "he'll grow out of it" - nipping/mouthing, submissive urination, jumping on people, now eating poop. Yes, sometimes they grow out of it, but it seems to me that since this puppy is nearly 5 months old and is seeking out poop and hiding to eat it, I'm kinda inclined to say he will not jsut stop doing it on his own when he gets older. "He'll grow out of it" begins to be an excuse for why puppy owners should not worry about using training to change bad behaviors in puppies, and I think this is one reason why there are so many young adult dogs in shelters - they never "grew out of it". Obviously "careful supervision and immediately removal of the h'or deuves" should be done now to fix the problem using behavioral methods.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I was commenting on one thing, the stool eating. Not other behavioral issues.

I don't find anywhere stated in this thread that the puppy is 5 months old?

I was polite and respectful in my post to you, explaining my reasoning for disagreeing that puppies do not grow out of stool eating behavior.

I have always despised it when people drag all sorts of other unrelated issues into a discussion to bolster their position and foster an argument. I was referring to the stool eating only when I said that most puppies DO grow out of it. I stand by my comments in reference to coprophagia in puppies.

I know you are a training expert, tho, so carry on.

Lucid

I just think it's funny that for many behavioral problems in puppies, the vets' answer is usually "he'll grow out of it" - nipping/mouthing, submissive urination, jumping on people, now eating poop. Yes, sometimes they grow out of it, but it seems to me that since this puppy is nearly 5 months old and is seeking out poop and hiding to eat it, I'm kinda inclined to say he will not jsut stop doing it on his own when he gets older. "He'll grow out of it" begins to be an excuse for why puppy owners should not worry about using training to change bad behaviors in puppies, and I think this is one reason why there are so many young adult dogs in shelters - they never "grew out of it". Obviously "careful supervision and immediately removal of the h'or deuves" should be done now to fix the problem using behavioral methods.
Ok so first off my puppy is 14weeks old no where in this thread did I say he was anywhere near 5months old.

I understand your concerns about the vet saying "He'll grow out of it" but my vet has been dealing with him since he was 11 weeks old, and I trust his opinion as he has treated nearly all my animals.

Despite some puppies not being able to grow out of they're behavior I believe it has to do with the way they are trained and if you keep at it somehow you will break through it eventually.

As for Obviously "careful supervision and immediately removal of the h'or deuves" I am perfectly aware I need to do that and at times Im not always there when he goes to the bathroom, as in if he has an accident in the cage, I cant always catch that over night, I dont leave him in his own mess in his cage or in the garden but it isnt always easy.

lizzybeth727

I apologize for the 5 month thing, I did the math wrong. It is very helpful to know the age of the puppies in these posts, though.

And Red I'm sorry if I insulted you in any way, I'm sorry if I was wrong to bring up "stool eating" as a behavioral problem.... But to me, since eating stool IS a behavior, and can be a problem, it equates to a behavioral problem. About 3/4 of the adult dogs I work with eat poop, if not theirs then rabbit/deer/cat/other animal poop in their yards. Of course about 1/2 of those can be attributed to poor diet, but the rest - just a bad habit that wasn't addressed when the dogs were young.

Despite some puppies not being able to grow out of they're behavior I believe it has to do with the way they are trained and if you keep at it somehow you will break through it eventually.
That's exactly my point.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
make sure you always use bleach when scrubbing down after a sick puppy

I use a small pan to step in with my shoes so i do not track any virus to anyone else's dog.

I hope your puppy is better, if not i second taking him back to the vet. I have sat through this virus with so many, if detected and treated in time they can come back a hundred percent. Dehydration being the biggest concern.

arklady

Ark Lady
You might want to offer an ice cube and see if the pup licks it. Most animals will go off food and water when recovering. If it goes on too long call the vet as dehydration is a big concern.

kitty1234

I recomend you to do ecxacly the Vet told you to do, poppyeas are very delicated especially those who are not use to live in streets and have good cares like yours, your kind of puppyes are very use to suffer from this kind of illnes, so be patience with the dog.

kitty

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.