How do I shoot my dog?

I adopted a puppy last week and I'm getting ready to take him to the vet for his first check up since I've gotten him. I know he's 8 weeks old now, but I'm not sure if he's ever gotten any shots.

Is there anyway for the vet to check? Are there any dangers to doubling up on vaccinations? I don't want him to get sick from any viruses, but I don't want to load him up on unnecessary drugs either.

Any thoughts?

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Yeah, it will! WHile I was reading the post I was still recovering from the title!

At 8wks of age most puppies will have retained maternal antibodies from the mothers' milk. Usually I think the 'vaccination zone' is 12wks If I remember correctly. And yes there is a way to check. It's called Titers, which measure the dogs' blood. However, this is costly. At 8wks of age I don't believe he would've gotten any vaccinations. Although he could've.. :S

Also, make sure to socialize even if your dog hasn't gotten any of his shots. Just be super careful. Don't take him to any places where dogs may be located. Take him outside the grocery store, libraries, etc. There's no reason to keep him locked up until he has recieved all his shots, that will be a huge loss in very important socialization.

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I think I am over my heart-attack from the title :eek:

Where did you get this pup?

Members online

No members online now.