The Venting Thread

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I'm the same way and was raised with leftovers being normal and planned for - perhaps because our family is small so most recipes made double what we needed? I didn't realize that some folks never ate leftovers until I was out of college iirc!
We had leftovers a lot, too, growing up, and my husband and I still do. Yeah, we're "dinks" and don't have to, but I like saving money. I love that I can make a big pot of something on a Sunday and we can eat leftovers through the work week (with little variations). Having homemade, healthy food that only needs to be heated up after a long day at work and the gym? ****, that's a bonus, not a sacrifice.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
My aunt gave me a Christmas list full of stuff that costs a bunch of money. I can afford to buy her ONE tube of mascara. That's it.

My grandma isn't any better, she never wants anything, or if you buy her something cool for the kitchen she never uses it (even if she asks for it - one year I searched EVERYWHERE for the perfect crock pot because she asked for a new one and was VERY specific about what she wanted. Finally found one that was everything she wanted. PERFECT. BOUGHT. She still uses her old one with the cord hanging out causing a fire hazard while the new one I searched everywhere for sits in the pantry in the basement in the box.) Finally she asked for some makeup stuff that she uses, but it's all Estee Lauder and stuff so all $$.

I can't afford this stuff. And both of them are so picky and have such expensive tastes. My aunt wants a few different things but all of them have to be REAL leather and I know if they're not SUPER nice she'll say "oh" in that derogatory way she does. She wants a towel wrap and I'm having a serious problem over here buying a TOWEL WRAP because I'm like "whatever I buy won't be good enough because it will be cheap." And this is so stupid because this isn't even the point of Christmas. It's supposed to be fun. I always put fun and cheap stuff on my list so nobody feels like they have to spend a lot of money on me because I don't want anybody else to be sitting in this dilemma.
My other aunt and uncle, I've finally given up and started buying them Amazon gift cards because they usually want some more expensive stuff too... but I know they are quite happy to get them, and they use them. As much as I think gift cards are boring, I've made my peace with that. But this aunt and my grandma, they won't use gift cards to Amazon. And if I bought, like, a Target gift card, they'd be OFFENDED by it. Because that's not THOUGHTFUL.

I'm so upset and I don't know what to do. Last year I had the same dilemma, and I cheated and gave both of them some cheap funny thing I found at TJ Maxx or whatever, as well as a nice framed photo of me and the dogs. I don't think I can get away with giving the gift of a photo again. I think I'm going to make some hand-made sugar scrubs and things and put together a little spa basket or something. And I can just hear my aunt now. "Oh." But I don't know what else to do. At least that will seem like I put some thought and effort into it...

AliciaD

On second thought...
Beanie, when your aunt say "oh" just smile sweetly and say "oh is right!" or do it with a completely straight face, whatever plays to your strengths more.

On a serious note, that really sucks. People should recognize that not everyone has the money, plus it sounds like you buy gifts for a few people. :(

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
I know that this is horribly tasteless to some but for hard to buy for people I usually buy them a gift card to their fave store .. So they can get what they want lol. I have never gotten a bad reaction when I do that

Grab

On his way home, my husband found a little dog hit by a car,badly injured. No one was around and this is a 35 mph (with people often speeding since it is outside of town) area with no streetlights. I'm sure no one saw him in time, as I have had some near misses on the same road with dogs running out, but sad that no one stopped after hitting him :( He brought him home and I took him in to work. His back was broken, so we had to euthanize him. He wore a collar but no tags and he had no chip. On my way both to and from the clinic, I drove near where he was found, but no one was out looking for him :(

So sad that someone lost their pet so near the holidays

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Today at the dentist, I found out what happens when lidocaine is injected directly into a nerve while freezing locally.

Pain followed by numbness shot through my face immediately. My whole left side of my face. Now not only is my mouth all numbed, but I have odd shots of weakness/numbness down my arm and periodic spots in my eyes.

Only another hour or two of this. Jesus.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Beanie, when your aunt say "oh" just smile sweetly and say "oh is right!" or do it with a completely straight face, whatever plays to your strengths more.

On a serious note, that really sucks. People should recognize that not everyone has the money, plus it sounds like you buy gifts for a few people. :(
The irony is my aunt doesn't have a lot of money either. Or at least complains she doesn't. She's the biggest reason I always make sure I have affordable stuff on my list.
We buy stuff for the entire family. More and more I'm realizing that doesn't happen that often. My mom hates it too, not because they can't afford it, but because it's a bit of a cluster. She wants us to switch to doing Secret Santa style, where we only buy for one person. That's what my BIL's family does. Much less stressful, and also, that would mean everybody would probably get REALLY good presents because instead of having to divide my money out across everybody I would just spend it on one person.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Secret Santa style is a good way to handle it. A lot less stressful for everyone involved.

So you know how most people's normal temperature is 98.6F? Mine usually runs about 97.3 for whatever reason...today it's 100F. o_O

AliciaD

On second thought...
The irony is my aunt doesn't have a lot of money either. Or at least complains she doesn't. She's the biggest reason I always make sure I have affordable stuff on my list.
We buy stuff for the entire family. More and more I'm realizing that doesn't happen that often. My mom hates it too, not because they can't afford it, but because it's a bit of a cluster. She wants us to switch to doing Secret Santa style, where we only buy for one person. That's what my BIL's family does. Much less stressful, and also, that would mean everybody would probably get REALLY good presents because instead of having to divide my money out across everybody I would just spend it on one person.
My family does a Santa Swap. It doesn't exactly have the personalization of Secret Santa, but my family finds it a fun way to get odd gifts. Plus, people appreciate that the gifts are more about quality than quantity. (although people should be happy regardless of the gift they get).

DJEtzel

I. Hate. Customer. Service.

I am the main receptionist for a spay and neuter clinic- woman comes in needing proof of neuter of her dog for her license with the county. Lost the original copy.

I ask what year/month (she expects me to just be able to find it with her last name!) and she tells me last December. I search all of last YEAR and cannot find her record by her first or last name or dog's name. Ask her if it could be another year and she starts getting angry and telling me I don't know what I'm doing and need to stop being rude. Explain to her that people often get years or names mixed up and she asks for my name and boss's name. Happily give her the info as I have nothing to hide. Tells me it absolutely was not 2013 and I'm insulting her. Call upstairs to our records department and she searches for a half hour with no luck.

Finally finds the record in September of THIS YEAR - the year she swore it wasn't neutered.

But I was supposed to be motivated enough to go through all of those records while she's leaning over my desk complaining about how rude I am and how I lack customer service. She's berating me in front of my co-workers and telling them all how she's calling my boss to complain and yadda yadda yadda and I just had to sit there, acting like she didn't exist, because if I had opened my mouth to defend myself, it WOULD have been rude.

>.<

Organic chem is the only class I've ever failed.

My bed broke in half today when Shaman jumped on it. As in gone, done, not coming back. I've known that this was coming, and I have a new one on order, but I'm in for an inpleasent few nights until it gets here

Xandra

Yeah I already know I'm going to fail the course and I've never come close to failing before.

I feel like I'm on death row and my execution is in a couple hours. Just waiting for the inevitable.

Members online