Opinions please

gapeach

Big Mutts
We are thinking about getting a puppy. This one actuallysearch.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8022782&ptmpl=1

We have a 4 yr old lil girl and a 10 month old girl. This pup was already adopted once they brought it back because they had to move into a place that didn't allow dogs. They also had 2 children the youngest was the same age as our oldest. They said she was good with the kids. And she is partially house trained. I asked them if she was still nippy and they said no that she was pretty calm. The most important thing to me is that she is good with our children, not nippy etc. We are going to meet her tomorrow. What does everyone think?

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Sounds good. Of course you really won't be able to tell until you and your children meet her. That will be the true test. Good luck! :)

gapeach

Big Mutts
Thanks for the well wishes, cross your fingers that she really isn't nippy

gapeach

Big Mutts
Thanks Agilitypup, we would never dream of doing anything but adopting. Now the hard part is which one. Although I think she is the one.

Personally I think puppies are allllloooooooottt of work, especially when you have a little child and a baby. Those are already enough work. Maybe a nice calm older dog? Skip housetraining and basic manners? :D

Lizmo

Water Junkie
I second the idea of maybe getting a sweet calm senior dog. :D But you can't always skip the house training and manners ;)

I'm not trying to get you down either, but she's a rottie....and you sounds like a first time owner? These breeds are not for first time owners IMO.

But I wish you the best.

Maybe a older dog would be good. I only say this because you have a little one..and almost all puppies at some stage are nippy..she looks really young right now so she might grow into that stage. Also your adopting which is good, but i bet that puppy will have no trouble finding a new home compared to oldeer dogs, which anyway might be easier for you to take care of if you get the right one.
but if your heart is set on her i wish u all the best

gapeach

Big Mutts
I've lived with dogs all my life. This is the longest I've ever been without one. It's been almost a year. Our last dog Carey we had put to sleep after she bit our daughter, it was a combination of food aggression and dominance issues I stupidly made too light of. I hold myself entirely responsible. Carey was the most wonderful dog ever and it broke our hearts to have her put down. I worked with her for several months training and being advised with a professional because we just didn't want to give up on her. She was our first child but she nipped at our daughter again and that was it. We have definitely learned alot about dominance and will not make that mistake again.

We (hubby and I) talked and decided we didn't want an older dog because we could never be for certain how child safe they were (food aggression, bad hips etc) We also didn't want a tiny pup, because of the nipping.This puppy is actually three months old ( it's an older pic) and was adopted before to a family with small children they said she did really well with them, they brought her back due to a move. She's partially house trained as well. As for being a rottie, we were looking for a big protective breed because my husband leaves early in the morning and gets home real late from work. I also did the research and rotties are supposed to be good with children as long as they are raised from puppies with them.

Sorry to go off on a tyrant, just wanted to let everyone know this is an informed decision. And will be meeting her to make certain she is good with our girls.;)

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Oh okay...then I am sure she/he will be in good hands ;) You sound like a very good dog owner.

Again, I hope for the best for you guys! She/he is realllly cute...we will need lots of pictures you know :)

gapeach

Big Mutts
:eek: Sorry like I said didn't mean to rant. I really hope she's the one for us and we will def have lots of pics.:)

Members online