Feeding puppy once a day okay?

diane

you said you have a daschund I need some help I got my mini daschund at 8 weeks he is not a good eater,he is now 11 weeks and I am lucky if he eats 2 tablespoon of dry food mix with half teaspoon of wet ceaser puppy.I even tried plain yogart he was 2 and half lbs when we got him and we go to the vet this week I am just frustrated because he is not a good eater.He does play and run around. we are going to see about classes at pet smart.I have to work on socialation more because he is very timid

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Diane, I suggest trying a new food. Puppies need to eat. Have you taken him to the vet to make sure nothing is wrong?

M

MyHorseMyRules

When you are at the vet, tell them about his poor appetite. If they can't find anything wrong, I would do as BP suggested and try switching food.

Mach1girl

Maybe he's getting too much food and s just not as hungry!!

Anyways, feeding a dog once a day as an adult is absolutly fine. As a puppy, they should be fed 3 times a day.
Then gradually cut down as they age.

And I saw someone say "You can never over feed a puppy"

??????????????????????????????????????????????

Ever hear of bloat?? Yes, you can over feed a puppy, and it is dangerous and NOT a happy thing!

IcyHound

Im late joining in on this but I'll comment for the fun of it.

It is not about your personal convince, it is about the puppies ability to absorb the nutrients it needs from its food. A puppy is not set up at 11 weeks to do that in one feeding. At 11 weeks they still need to eat 3 times a day because their bodies are not fully developed.

Cut down to twice a day at 6 months for a small dog and then once a day at a year. For a large dog, if feeding twice a day is such a huge in convince, cut down to twice a day at four months if you can not bear the extra work.

If you have problems with the puppy bothering your adult dog, invest in a leash and use it. It is amazing how problems go away. Or crate the dogs. Or feed them in different rooms. Or feed them at seperate times.

Members online