Run Free Sophie

Xerxes

Mr Poopy
Tonight my dad put Sophie to sleep. She had been with our family for 2 months shy of 18 years. I'm not sad as I write this. I do feel empty though. You see, Sophie was a lovely red Pekingnese and she always thought of me as her puppy.

Rather than mourn her, I want this post to celebrate her life. So I want to give everyone a sense of her strength.

Sophie spent her first 2 months with a breeder. She came from show lines but she wasn't quite a show quality pup. She was spunky, headstrong and she didn't want to be adored. No, Sophie wanted to roll around in the dirt, play rough and be a real dog. She got her wish. Her first 8 months in our home was spent mostly under the right paw of Shiloh, our Akita. She was his living, breathing, warm, fluffy chew toy. I don't think that her fur was ever completely free of Shiloh drool while she was a pup. She'd squirm away and then let herself be caught again. She always, always, always went back for more.

Then one day, when she was about 11 months old, we heard Shiloh barking franticly from the bathroom. Apparently Sophie had enough of being a chew toy and she attacked, chased and cornered Shiloh. He was barking from where he was trapped: on top of the bathroom sink. She was down below him, daring him to jump down.

And this began a fast friendship, with our little "lion dog" in charge of our gigantic "bear" of a dog. It also defined Sophie. She was tough, focused and determined.

She had an ongoing love affair with tennis balls. This lasted until last year. She would hoard them in her bed. It wasn't unusual to find a dozen or more tennis balls in her bed, with her guarding them, lest one fall out of the bed and roll away. She was never aggressive in her guarding. It just reminded me of how a mother might gather her pups around her. To grab the tennis ball looked uncomfortable, but for her to release it, it appeared quite painful-as if she had to dislocate her jaw to do so.

She wasn't a cuddly, sit in your lap and look pretty girl either. After her baths or her trips to the groomer, her first stop was garden mulch or top soil. Ribbons didn't stand a chance. Perfume? Hardly. She lived up to the Peke reputation too, knocks at the door were greeted with barks, as were strangers in the home. Afterwards she'd strut, obviously proud that she warned us of the "danger."

As she grew older her barks came later and later. Sometimes the guests would already have left before she would begin barking.

Sophie's barking, rolling in the mud and face licking will be sorely missed.

ACooper

Well I must say that would have been quite a sight, Shiloh on the sink and her down below! LOL

Rest peaceful dear Sophie

Xerxes

Mr Poopy
Thinking of you, Xerx. You've had your share of loss lately and you put on a brave face. Hope you are indeed doing okay.
Mal, thank you so much. But you know remembering the good times helps me out in ways I don't even understand. I'm pretty logical about things, I guess. Truth is I seek to be more like a dog with respect to how I live. Live well, breathe deeply, run when I can and always expect the best. And when someone makes you mad, bark like mad. :)

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Aww, Xerox, that was beautiful. I'm picturing the bathroom sink scene.. now THAT is something. I wonder if there are bathroom sinks in doggie heaven?

RIP Sophie... be creative. .make your own bathroom sinks.

Barb04

Super Moderator
Sophie will definitely live on in your heart and memories forever. She was a special dog.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
A dog like that, there just has to be a heaven for a dog like that. run free Sophie, have fun!

mrose_s

BusterLove
What an attitude on her, sounds like she would have been so much fun.
Run Free Sophie, go find Daisy I reckon you'll get on great she was just like you. In charge of the dog 8 times her size and the dog 4 times her size. Go bully the big dogs together.

Members online

No members online now.