What about a puggle?

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
My wife and I are toying with the idea of getting a second dog. I really like pugs because of their personality and tank-like bodies, but I really don't like that they've got no muzzle. I'd always be worried about a pug overheating.

I've liked all the beagles I've met, with the exception of the howling. I'm curious if puggles also typically howl.

Anyone here have much experience with puggles? I've only met one but the idea of mixing a pug with a beagle seems very intriguing.

Thanks!

Amstaffer

If you get one....please get it from a shelter and don't pay money to a "breeder".

I have a feeling you have hit a very touchy subject on this forum. Most here believe that breeding "Puggles" is highly unethical.

If you want a purebred dog, try a miniature bull terrier, they are small, stocky and hardy...which is I think what you are looking for.

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
Well, our first dog is a rescue, and he's pretty good generally, but he's not good around other big dogs (but fantastic with smaller dogs). He's also quite lethargic, so having a more energetic dog around may help.

Also, I did hear once someone saying that breeding puggles is unethical, but I'm not sure why. I can understand why breeding a pug is unethical, because of the complete lack of a snout. But a puggle has a snout, so wouldn't that be an improvement? I'll admit, I'm not very educated on this.

I hope I didn't hit a sore spot. I really didn't intend to start a flame war. :(

milos_mommy

why is breeding a puggle unethical?

because it's creating more mixed breed dogs when there are already millions of them in shelters. because breeders who breed puggles do it for money. it rips people off, the dogs aren't healthy, and it's charging ridiculous amounts of money for a "mixed breed".

pugs are prone to certain health problems just like other breeds. but a responsible breeder will monitor their dogs for these problems. anyone who breeds puggles are NOT responsible breeders.

if you get a pug from a good breeder who screens their dogs for respitory problems, the dog should be healthy. of course, pugs will be more sensitive to hot weather than other dogs. do more research. you'll find a dog for you.

~Tucker&Me~

I would suggest a Shnauzer then.

I am sure someone can help find you a good breeder nearby seeing as you aren't super in tune with good breeding practices.

Generally, they should screen dogs for hereditary problems (not just vet checks!), breed to the standard, and their dogs should compete and do well in something.

~Tucker

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
Oh boy here we go :lol-sign: :popcorn:

Irotas, like someone else suggested if you are going to look into the whole puggle thing then adopt one and not buy from a BYB. Most if not all people who breed mixed breeds are breeding for greed and nothing else. They are money hungry and aren't checking there breeding stock for genetic issues or health issues that can arrise in the breed or breeds that they are specifically breeding. Search around here on chaz for topics that we have already discussed such as this :)

Herschel

Puggles (baby) in the Northeast:

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=6467453

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7995379

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8551249

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8463559

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8247668

The reason it's unethical to breed these guys is that there are so many already waiting in shelters. People saw cute "designer dogs", bought them on a whim, then realized that having a dog requires responsibility. Instead of stepping up to the plate and taking care of the dogs, they dump them at their local shelters.

Buying a Puggle from a breeder means that one of these guys might get a needle instead of a loving home.

DanL

Our pug is 5, and he doesn't suffer because he has a short snout. When its 95 out, ALL dogs suffer! He goes for walks, runs and plays, and works his little body just as hard as our big dogs do. He just has limitations with his stamina and desire to keep going. Don't expect a pug to have the abilities of a Lab or German Shepherd, which can go all day. They were not built for that, just like many other breeds, including ones with longer noses. They have a TON of personality. If you can find a good breeder and really want one, don't think that the lack of snout is a downfall. Pugs are an ancient breed, and have survived for a long long time this way.

irotas

Sucker for a droopy lab
Thanks everyone for the education; clearly I needed it.

I always thought about ethical vs unethical dog breeding in terms of the characteristics of a particular breed. For example, it seems unethical to breed a dog that weighs 4 pounds and can't give birth naturally. Even if the breed is registered, it just seems wrong.

I once read that dogs, evolutionarily speaking, will typically weigh around 35-40 pounds if humans don't interfere in the breeding process. From that perspective, it seems to be a little unethical to breed dogs that weigh 200 pounds and are destined for hip problems within their first 7 years or so.

I truly thought that breeding pugs was unethical, because of their lack of snout. A woman at the dog park told me that her neighbors pug died after being in the back yard for 25 minutes on a hot summer day. I know that all dogs don't like excessive heat, but to *die* after 25 minutes seems to indicate a serious problem with the breed. That's why I thought about a puggle to begin with, because of their tank-like body and great personality, but with a more normal snout.

So what if the AKC recognized some of the more popular mixed breeds? Would people then consider these breeds ethical?

Anyway, thanks again. I really didn't intend get folks hackles up. :(

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
my BIGGEST problem with puggles (besides unethical breeding)
you take a dog , the beagle, whos entire pleasure in life is SNIFFING, sniffing everything...you mix it with a short snouted breed, the pug,
doesnt sound like much fun huh? yes they may be able to sniff and breath a little better than the pug, but certainly not even as close to the ability a beagle would have...
gotta be frustrating for the dog?

and i wanted to add i agree, your actually sticking around, looking and receiving the information given. unfortunatly we get some on here who ask for opinions then dont want to hear the replies because there not what was originally expected so a HUGE thank you!

Brattina88

I think everyone's version of "ethical" is different. Mine has nothing to do with AKC or anything like that, really.
I think if I met a puggle breeder who did health tests, had a contract, and bred for something other than $$ (lets say temperment or something) then maybe I would be more open to that idea . . .

I don't think its wrong to want a "puggle", or a mix like one - if they're from a shelter and not a breeder!!
With a mix breed like this, people are claiming they are breeds, but in all reality one person can get laid back, really cute "puggles" with no health problems. Then, the next person who breeds a beagle and a pug can get a hyperactive shed-monster who follows its nose and is stubborn. I see so many "puggles" that are getting rehomed due to the fact that they're activity level and temperment aren't a good match for the home, and they aren't as cute when they grow up as everyone thinkgs they will be. There's no consistency IMHO

You like the look of a pug, and I think you'd be surprised to hear that if you get a pug from a decent breeder they don't typically have short nose/breathing or overheating problems ;)
So why not get a Pug? Or a Beagle? Or a schnauzer? :)

jess2416

Who woulda thought
agree with everyone, you can find plenty of beagle mixes and pug mixes on petfinder...

mjb

If you decide on a common purebreed, you can probably find those in rescue or in a shelter, too. At the Humane Society here, you can put your name on a list for a specific breed, and they call when that breed comes into their shelter. (They don't let you specify mixes, though, for some reason).

So, mixed or pure, you can get at a shelter or rescue if that's what you're interested in.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
So what if the AKC recognized some of the more popular mixed breeds? Would people then consider these breeds ethical?

Anyway, thanks again. I really didn't intend get folks hackles up. :(
It's not so much a matter of AKC recognition. It's once the breeders actually dedicate themselves to making puggles a real breed, doing so ethically.

If puggle breeders were truly concerned with making a new breed, they would breed male puggles to female puggles: two parents of the same type, in an attempt to get puppies of the same type. The breeders would create a written standard as to what a puggle should look like: coat type, size, color, temperament, etc., and breed only the dogs that meet that standard. They would be health testing to be sure their breeding dogs are in the absolute best health possible. That way, the future established puggle breed will be healthy.

It can certainly be done. For example, the Silken Windhound and the Australian Labradoodle are both recently-created breeds that are being taken seriously. Their breeders have a standard, health test their dogs, breed only their most outstanding dogs, and strive to improve the quality of the fledgling breed.

But if you look around, 99.9% of puggle breeders (also breeders of yorkipoos, goldendoodles, maltipoos, etc.) are not doing even one of the ethical things I mentioned. They just keep cross beagles with pugs, slap a $1,000 price tag on the pups and call it a done deal.

That's why Chazzers tend to be against designer breeds.

Members online

No members online now.