stinky breath, pale gums

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
For about 6 or 8 weeks now Ruckus has had bad breath. sometimes it can almost make you gag! I dont understand why. Maybe there is an underlying cause.

I brush his teeth a few times a week, and he gets natural balance dry food. i know its not the food change because his breath started stinking before i had to change his food.

i know what moderate to sever gum disease in dogs looks like. and i dont really think Ruckus looks like he is having any problems. but it does seem to me that the gum part around his tooth is darker than the rest. but actually his gums may be pale.

It was drawn to my attention that his gums were pale. I took him to the vet and they looked him over and done blood work. they found no reason his gums should be pale. i can notice a change in them from then to now. they look even more pale and his breath stinks worse! do you think i should take him in for a dental or something?

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i just looked at his teeth again. his gums are not nearly as pale today as they have been. but around his teeth his gums are very red.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Is he drinking enough? Pale gums is usually one of the first signs of dehydration and stinky breath can be another sign. Start adding water to his food, enough to make it swim like cheerios in milk and see if that helps any.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
i usually add water too his food.
Ruckus doesnt drink much. i actually put him in the crate sometimes with water so he will drink!

why do dogs do this?
i will get him fresh water, say "water!"
he comes alonge and takes one lick of it, and then he is done!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Maybe start putting a couple drops of chicken broth into the water to flavor it? He really does need to drink more.

Melissa_W

Try ice water. I think it's a Sheltie thing. Kai loooooooves drinking ice water. And bobbing for the cubes. You can also give him ice cubes to eat too.

cata.m

if he does have a teeth problem, then that´s probably the reason why he won´t drink water.
my dog has a similar problem, it started when he was like 5 years-old (he is 7 1/2 now). his breath stinks, it´s like something died in there. his gums are kinda pale and redish, and it tends to bleed when i try to brush his teeth. we took him to the vet, and it was a bad case of gingivitis. he gave him antibiotics, and they work really well, but the antibiotics made him sick to the stomach, so we had to stop the treatment.

Members online

No members online now.