midwest members heads up

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
received this in an email......so terribly sad.

Emporia Kansas just experienced the layoff of hundreds of factory workers by Tyson. Consequently, people are surrendering and abandoning their pets left and right. MiChielle with the Buck Fund says that she is absolutely buried dealing with this. Please read her email below. Last night she wrote again and said that she had gone to the Emporia Shelter to pull as many dogs as she could to save them from being killed and in the 30 minutes she was there NINE people dumped animals!!!! The situation is only going to get worse until this layoff situation calms down. The streets are full of stray dogs and cats because people are not willing to hold them for the Buck Fund until they can find safe places for them to go. HAS ANYONE STEPPED OUTDOORS LATELY??? Those that are not being dumped at the shelter are being dumped in the streets. What in the hell is wrong with people??? AND there is absolutely no more places for the cats to go so they are just in the streets! If you know of anyone local, that can hold on to a dog or cat until the BuckFund can get them into rescue PLEASE have them email me at [email protected] . I will get the information to MiChielle. That will free up the lines for rescue to help get animlas out of the sheter. The link to the shelter is http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/KS100.html CHECK IT OUT ANS SEE IF YOU CAN TAKE A DOG OR CAT TO FREE UP SPACE FOR OTHERS. MICHIELLE NEEDS HELP GETTING THESE GUYS OUT. THEY ARE GOING TO KILL DOGS DAILY TO MAKE ROOM FOR INCOMING DOGS. SO TAKE A LOOK AT THE DOGS AND CATS BELOW AND IF YOU CAN HELP ANY OF THEM PLEASE CONTACT MiChielle at [email protected] or 620-343-3377. SHE IS VERY BUSY TRYING TO DEAL with the inordinate number of dogs and cats being abandoned and surrendered so leave her a voice message or write her an email and she will get back with you. You can also call the shelter at 620-340-6345 between the hours of 11 AM and 3 PM. THANK YOU FOR ANYTHING YOU CAN DO!!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
EMporia has such a history for grief. My grandfather lived there and he use to take us out to the wildlife preserve and tell us about when the dam was built and how the people were shorted out of the money for their properties. SO many commited suicide. AT least that was what he told me. My inn is full i can't help not even monitarily i just thought i would share the info incase anyone else could.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
This email killed me, this is my college town. You wouldn't believe the number of animals that were roaming around BEFORE the layoffs. And you want to know WHY this is happening?? Tyson wanted to bring in 2000 workers from Somalia and lay-off a bunch of the locals. The town stood up to that, so Tyson is closing part of the plant. They apparently were going to find some way to cut costs and this was it. I have a very poor feeling that Emporia is soon going to wither into one of those random towns you pass on the highway and only stop for gas. The University is seeing dropping enrollment because of what is going on in the town. It makes me very sad, there is a lot of great history there and a lot of great animals that are suffering.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
This is just horrible... pair that with a huge puppy mill bust we had about 5 miles from my town, and you get all the Midwest rescues flooded... I wish I wasn't at my limit,a nd I wish I was in a place where I could foster! :(

Members online

No members online now.