Is it not recommened to get a puppy from a dog shelter?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Who's told you that?

That's silly. Shelters and rescues often have puppies (and adult dogs for that matter) who are there for no fault of their own, simply bad luck. Adopting a puppy from a shelter can be very rewarding.

I'm not sure why you would have been told that it isn't recommended.

Maxy24

Shelters are a great place to get a pet, I would definitely go to a shelter for your dog, puppy or adult!

lizzybeth727

I ALWAYS suggest getting a puppy from a shelter!

You might want to do some searches to figure out what to look for when you go to a shelter. It can be very overwhelming to see so many cute little faces and know that you can only take one.

wdunn

i thought that it was best to get a puppy from a breeder because they were raised and looked after in the household? and it would be easier doing that. im just a bit confused all help is GREATLY appreciated

bubbatd

I do agree that
the plus from a breeder is socializing and a good beginning ..... but these little shelter guys need help and usually adapt pretty darn quickly .

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
there are pluses and minuses in both situations. No matter where you go--be sure to spend some time with the dog. Pay attention to the dogs personality (many people just fall for the looks of the dog!). If possible--take the dog for a walk, or play in a play yard. Realize that a shelter dog may have excess energy and act a little hyper at first--which is why I think taking a walk is a great way to see how the dog reacts to you.

Another avenue to consider is a rescue group--many have dogs living in foster homes. The fosters will have a good sense of the dogs needs/traits and if they match what you are looking for. You might even consider fostering a dog yourself--look into it!

Are you looking for a particular breed, or just hoping to find a good companion? Good luck with your search!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
Shelter and rescue pups may have a few issues but nothing you cant work with and the reward of saving a dog far out weighs anything. Millions of animals are pts each year across the US. So please consider a rescue ..they need you, and the pup will always be appriciative. www.petfinder.com is where i found my Victor. And i couldn't have done better if i had paid thousands to a breeder.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Well, when you buy from a breeder, you know what you are getting (for the most part) and the pups come socialized, with the right amount of TLC.

I have two shelter dogs... and I highly recommend that you research your local shelters first. I only support ethical shelters and rescues because of what happened with Buddy. It's amazing the number of shelters that simply don't give a **** about their animals... and I would never support that kind of place. So do your research carefully.

No matter where you end up getting your pup from, it will be a blessing! Good luck!

lizzybeth727

^^^^ Actually, I think he's decided to only get one.

Well, when you buy from a breeder, you know what you are getting (for the most part) and the pups come socialized, with the right amount of TLC.
I'd like to point out that puppies from breeders don't actually come "socialized," socalization is not something that happens for 6 weeks or so and then you're done. You'll have to do the same amount of socialization with a shelter puppy as you do with a puppy from a breeder. Yes, puppies from breeders already know people and houses, but seriously, at 8 or 9 weeks old you definately have time to work with shelter pups to get them caught up with breeders' pups.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
I agree with that. But they are at least started on socialization, and I don't like the idea of getting pups from breeders until 10-12 weeks anyways.

Boemy

My "pound puppy" turned out great. Adult shelter dogs are awesome too; it's true that you can determine their personality and temperament more easily and their adult looks. But with proper training, love, and care, most puppies will adapt to their new family and grow up to fit in just fine. :) A lot of puppies are dumped at shelters simply because they were "oops" litters, it doesn't mean they won't grow up to be good dogs--with training. :)

chanda

there are many pets in shelters waiting to be adopted... and some of them can really become the best pet you will ever have... People should stop buying/getting puppies from puppy mills and not from dog shelter.

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
I am a big fan of adult dogs from shelters- they are easier to care for at that age and you know exactly what you are getting. I am more cautious about pups from shelters and rescues. If you are flexible about the ultimate size, shape and temperament of you dog, then a shelter puppy should work out great. I have seen "rottweiler-mix" puppies that grew into smallish adult dogs and a "cocker spaniel-mix" puppy that weighs 10 pounds and looks like a chi-jack cross, so don't count on the pup turning into the breed the shelter pegs them for.

My other worry with shelter pups is parvo and distemper. I have seen several pups from the shelters who got sick shortly after being adopted, sticking their new owners with hefty vet bills. The odds of a shelter puppy getting sick are significantly higher than for a puppy from a good breeder, so this is a serious concern. This is certainly something to think about when adopting pups from inside the shelter (if they are housed in foster care this is not such a risk) that have had limited vaccines. You may want to talk to your vet about this as risk varies quite a bit. Vets should know of any recent outbreaks in your area that you should be concerned about.

Members online

No members online now.