The dog musing/vent thread

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Just checked out a pet store in our new area (we're in the process moving). Nice owner, great brands and selection, but sold designer puppies? But cheap? It was very weird. Anyways, we met a really nice guy in there who turned out to be a horse person like my mom and I - who mentioned he just lost a puppy to Parvo.

Yikes! Quinn is vaccinated and the guy seemed like a very responsible owner who I'm sure disinfected everything, but I still have the heebie jeebies. Especially since we have a baby puppy coming in ~5 weeks.

crazedACD

I'd like to start getting involved in agility. I really would. I have time and dog issues though. First off...the only facility around here that is possible to take classes at, their classes are $105/4 weeks. Ouch. It's not like I don't have the money, but that seems a little much. All the other places, the class times don't really work with my schedule.

And then I come to the dog issue. I just can't do it with Romeo with his vision. Rally and obedience is one thing, but not so much agility. And I'm doing the rally thing with him now because it is attainable, I just don't love it. It's stupid to bring him to class with me because he's past the instructor's point of improving.

Skye..I just don't know. We are doing OK in obedience classes through the week, but not making a ton of progress. She sticks to me if we are inside, but if we go outside? She loses focus. She won't take treats. She doesn't do toys. She will run off in a second. I'm sure it's some of my doing, but she's just not a velcro dog. She's never been an off-leash sort of dog. I'm considering doing a recall clinic but I don't even know if she enjoys this stuff. I was outside with her today, I asked for a recall and she was blowing me off so bad. There was nothing distracting her, she was just wandering and sniffing. We had been doing really well in the backyard previously. Sometimes I seriously wonder if she shouldn't just be a well loved pet..nothing wrong with that!

Zoie has luxating patellas and forced sits/downs, jumping, and whatever doesn't jive with her.

I've been considering another dog. Seriously. We have so many though, and there are so many 'what ifs'. And then I kind of 'meh' at having to start with an untrained dog. And then I feel bad, because I will probably end up bringing the new one to obedience class instead of Skye..but would Skye actually like that? And then is it stupid to get another dog just because I want to do sports with it? But..it IS something I really want to do! I don't really want to bring another dog into the house with my mom...hello, bad habits. But then again if someone is around to let a puppy out while I'm at work..that would be fab. Considering purchasing a house, but then will I have the money/time to continue training and trialing? And I probably shouldn't add another dog if I end up wanting to rent.

I just need to marry rich or win the lotto. :popcorn:

Especially since we have a baby puppy coming in ~5 weeks.
Puppy?! Another ES?

Airn

I'd like to start getting involved in agility. I really would. I have time and dog issues though. First off...the only facility around here that is possible to take classes at, their classes are $105/4 weeks. Ouch. It's not like I don't have the money, but that seems a little much. All the other places, the class times don't really work with my schedule.

And then I come to the dog issue. I just can't do it with Romeo with his vision. Rally and obedience is one thing, but not so much agility. And I'm doing the rally thing with him now because it is attainable, I just don't love it. It's stupid to bring him to class with me because he's past the instructor's point of improving.

Skye..I just don't know. We are doing OK in obedience classes through the week, but not making a ton of progress. She sticks to me if we are inside, but if we go outside? She loses focus. She won't take treats. She doesn't do toys. She will run off in a second. I'm sure it's some of my doing, but she's just not a velcro dog. She's never been an off-leash sort of dog. I'm considering doing a recall clinic but I don't even know if she enjoys this stuff. I was outside with her today, I asked for a recall and she was blowing me off so bad. There was nothing distracting her, she was just wandering and sniffing. We had been doing really well in the backyard previously. Sometimes I seriously wonder if she shouldn't just be a well loved pet..nothing wrong with that!

Zoie has luxating patellas and forced sits/downs, jumping, and whatever doesn't jive with her.

I've been considering another dog. Seriously. We have so many though, and there are so many 'what ifs'. And then I kind of 'meh' at having to start with an untrained dog. And then I feel bad, because I will probably end up bringing the new one to obedience class instead of Skye..but would Skye actually like that? And then is it stupid to get another dog just because I want to do sports with it? But..it IS something I really want to do! I don't really want to bring another dog into the house with my mom...hello, bad habits. But then again if someone is around to let a puppy out while I'm at work..that would be fab. Considering purchasing a house, but then will I have the money/time to continue training and trialing? And I probably shouldn't add another dog if I end up wanting to rent.

Puppy?! Another ES?
You can borrow Gwen :D

Especially since we have a baby puppy coming in ~5 weeks.
Details???

want to borrow Hudson?

JessLough

Love My Mutt

Puppy?! Another ES?
You need that ACD puppy. :D

I really want to do agility, but cannot has a dog :(

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I am waiting for new pictures to do the big reveal. BUT I will say that it is not another English Shepherd - it will be my mom's dog, and I tried my best to convince her, but she decided to go another direction. I still think Chaz will be happy though - I certainly am!

I actually turned down a lovely ES litter this summer in favor of my mom getting her dog this year while the timing/her health enables her to. I am still hoping to add one in a year or two though!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I want an agility puppy too. I think it'll be best though after I buy my house (spring is what I'm shooting for there). So hopefully in the next 1-2 years. Feels like such a long wait! But worth it. And I'm really glad I've gotten to train my current two before getting my next dog.

I think you could work through Skye's problems for what it's worth. There's a lot of dogs I've seen in agility that aren't so.... velcro. A good trainer will help you work through that even if it may take a bit longer than some other dogs.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I have Juno and Lucy curled up in my lap, and Happy curled up at my feet. I love these kiddos.

Although I wanted to strangle Lucy an hour ago. We put a diaper on her when we leave because she's not bright and will pee on the rug if we don't. So I got home tonight and took her diaper off, went to let her outside... and discovered she peed in the diaper! Who does that!!! MY dogs would not do that :p

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I have Juno and Lucy curled up in my lap, and Happy curled up at my feet. I love these kiddos.

Although I wanted to strangle Lucy an hour ago. We put a diaper on her when we leave because she's not bright and will pee on the rug if we don't. So I got home tonight and took her diaper off, went to let her outside... and discovered she peed in the diaper! Who does that!!! MY dogs would not do that :p
Is that abnormal for her? Is she acting normal now? I'd be worried if it is abnormal for her.

Or maybe she was just mad at you for something. :p

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
No she's just... dumb lol. I'm not surprised that SHE would do that... part of me just really wanted to believe she might be normal in that aspect and not want to pee in a diaper lol.

I would be THRILLED if she just did these things because she had a UTI or something. But no, this is just life with Lucy. :p

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
The good news:

The switch to a Salmon/Potato diet has firmed up Abrams stool. Not only is it easier to clean up, he's not waking me up at 5am to go outside anymore! Whoot!

The bad news:

He is now having the most God awful gas in the history of the world. *gags* I don't know what to do with this dog.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I chopped off all of Rose's ear fringe. :/ I was lazy and they had become like dread lock ear fringe. I've never seen fringe get that bad.

I feel bad because she looks bad but I'm sure she would rather me do that than try to detangle the hair.

But it looks bad.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Ugh Juno was such a butthole today. It was gorgeous outside so I took her for a walk to the park and then let her off leash to run around. We do this all the time. It's never an issue. She normally stays close by and her recall is fine. Well today she decided to just completely not listen to me, but what made it worse was that she wasn't even staying nearby either. She runs into the trees and I can't see her and I'm calling and calling and she's ignoring me. She does NOT do that. I got her back, we had a heart to heart, I let her go again... and she does the same thing. So then I figured we obviously need to just go home. Made me mad though because it should have been a pleasant afternoon at the park.

After that it was like everything she did for the rest of the day annoyed me.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Ugh Juno was such a butthole today. It was gorgeous outside so I took her for a walk to the park and then let her off leash to run around. We do this all the time. It's never an issue. She normally stays close by and her recall is fine. Well today she decided to just completely not listen to me, but what made it worse was that she wasn't even staying nearby either. She runs into the trees and I can't see her and I'm calling and calling and she's ignoring me. She does NOT do that. I got her back, we had a heart to heart, I let her go again... and she does the same thing. So then I figured we obviously need to just go home. Made me mad though because it should have been a pleasant afternoon at the park.

After that it was like everything she did for the rest of the day annoyed me.
Ugh. THIS.

I end up walking home from the park with him like "THIS IS WHY WE CANT HAVE NICE THINGS! STOP PANTING! YOU ARE SO ANNOYING!"

It's the age I guess.. but some days I swear he thinks with his balls instead of his head.

"SiT? WHAT ARE SIT? LOOK MA A SQUIRREL!!!"

Muttkip

LABRADERP!
Breaks my heart to see Beau bay his head off and get all excited when we shoot guns off up in the field. He thinks he's going hunting, but he's not and when I take walk him on the leash while the boys are shooting, he wags his tail off and bays up a storm wanting to go get the cottontail.

Why must dogs get old.....:(

Members online

No members online now.