Great Dane breeder---european?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
My husband has always wanted a Great Dane. It's his dream dog. I'd love to get him one in a few years.

We want to go through a breeder and get a quality pup. But here's my question: I believe my husband would prefer a european-type GD. Those dogs tend to be bulkier and more mastiffy-looking than the American lines.

Are there good breeders in the States who breed this stockier type of dane?

Last edited:

Gempress

Walks into Mordor

Zhucca

Lab Love
I can do some digging for you. Though.. I need to go to work in 30 minutes so if I don't find anything by then, I should atleast find something tonight.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
I can do some digging for you. Though.. I need to go to work in 30 minutes so if I don't find anything by then, I should atleast find something tonight.
Thanks! No big hurry, I'm just looking right now.

xpaeanx

I have no help to offer... I just wanted to say:

wow! the danes are the first link are HUGE! but they're awesome looking!

Maxy24

Here are some I found in the USA, not sure where you live though, these two are not the best though, can European lines be shown with any success in the US or is their type frowned upon?

http://www.shafferdanes.com/ (I think they breed males too early (age 1) and there is no showing or anything like that)

http://www.gr8dane.net/ (love all the health testing but they don't appear to do much showing and they let you buy a pup through paypal)

Well the correct type is around you'll just have to dig!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I'd be inclined to lean towards Chromadane, but I don't know if that's the type Hubby wants or not?

I'd love to have a Chromadane myself if I could reconcile myself to the cost of caring for a Dane...and the tendency towards early heartbreak.

xpaeanx

How common is the "early" heartbreak? The "family" dog has been a great dane for the last 3. The first one lived to be 12, the second one had to be pts at 8 months, and the 3rd is about 10 now and still going. As much as I'ved liked all the danes we've had, they're not really my kind of dog, so I've never read up on them much.

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
I think an old Dane is one past 10...like Leo's they are often stricken down by 8 or so...but if they make it past that mark they can often go to 12.

Romy

Taxiderpy
One thing to be aware of with european breeders of large breed dogs is to make sure you ask specifically about whether their dogs have bloated or not. Europeans for the most part do not believe bloat is hereditary, and from what I have been told it is something you need to specifically ask about otherwise it won't get mentioned on their end. Nobody is trying to be dishonest or anything, just different views on what is/isn't an issue.

Firstly, Chromadane's are American danes, not euro danes. They are EXCEPTIONAL danes though, regardless of what "type" of dane they are. JP Yousha is one of my favorite dane breeders on the planet, and she is what EVERYONE in this breed should be.

My only skitch about the Euro danes is that it's a marketing ploy used by many BYB's and shady breeders.

Very few Euro danes in the US are worth a dime. They are not showable in the US because the European standard and the US standard differ drastically. So, you've taken away a large portion of being able to decide whether the breeder is worth much right there.

They're not breeding to show or prove their stock...unless they're exporting all of their puppies, which I find highly unlikely.

I've also found the health of the American bred Euro danes to be somewhat horrible. Of course, if you compare to the American lines, American lines aren't much to brag about either.

The stockier frames, the heavier bodies.....lots of strain on the joints and the heart. And I'm sadden by the extremes some of these breeders have gone too.

IMO, if someone is seeking a Euro dane, it's like finding a needle in a haystack to find a good breeder of them here in the US without the hassle of importing one.

*IF* I were ever in the market for a euro line great dane, there is one breeder that I trust here in the states. http://www.niobraragreatdanes.com/Home.htm

Last edited:
I think an old Dane is one past 10...like Leo's they are often stricken down by 8 or so...but if they make it past that mark they can often go to 12.

The dane's average life span is 6-8. I consider mine "senior" at age 6.

One of my friends had a dane live to be 14. And I've heard of several that make it to 10, 12, even a couple that have made it to 13 or 14.

But sadly, bloat, cancer and heart disease usually claim a large number before they reach their golden years. :(

Pops2

even a well bred import would get you some pretty viscious treatment in the show community.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
*IF* I were ever in the market for a euro line great dane, there is one breeder that I trust here in the states. http://www.niobraragreatdanes.com/Home.htm
Thanks for all the information! I agree with what you mean about using European lines as a marketing ploy. I've seen so many ads for "European" danes on hoobly and petclassifieds that it's ridiculous. :rolleyes: And of course, none of those are breeders I would trust.

As for that breeder you recommend, I was browsing that Web site earlier today. Their dogs are drop-dead gorgeous! The breeding program does look very good---a LOT of champions in those bloodlines!---but I was hesitant. It's can be so hard nowadays to tell who is reputable and who is a BYB just by a Web site. A recommendation from a dane person like you goes a long way with me. Thanks.

I was very impressed by the Chromadanes as well. If the American lines are so much better than European lines, we may go that route. But if Niobrara is a good kennel as well.....hmm.

Last edited:

Romy

Taxiderpy
Don't dismiss importing a dog 100%, I talked to a few borzoi breeders in poland before getting an american dog. A handful of them offered to give me a discount that would offset the cost of shipping because they felt like I would be a good home for one of their puppies. I don't know if any of the dane breeders would do this, but you could always poke around a bit.

My neighbor's dane that she has trained for PP is euro. She got him from an army couple who bought him in germany, imported him, then got divorced. He is really gorgeous, and I can see why you husband would prefer a dog from those lines. So far he has been healthy and has a great temperament.

Poland does have some great lines. If you felt going through the import process.

I have a contact who shows in Poland, I could get some recommendations from her *if* you decided to go that route.

The polish bred danes aren't too overdone, like you will see in some euro lines.

mrose_s

BusterLove
Oh wow, those Niobrara dogs are stunning.
I have fallen hard for Danes recently and can see myself having one hopefully in the next few years, I to, am more of a fan of the danes the heavier "euro" danes.

Members online

No members online now.