A Dog For Katie

Dekka

Just try me..
Well if beagles have to much drive stay away for any kind of terrier, or sighthound lol. Most show beagles I have met are friendly happy and kind. Not always cooperative, but never really drivey (when compared to senthounds).

Whippets can be VERY bouncy and unruly, for example, when learning. Its nothing to see a whippet bounced up in excitement to the height of the owners shoulders! (not talking LHW, but whippet whippets)

Romy

Taxiderpy
Whippets can be VERY bouncy and unruly, for example, when learning. Its nothing to see a whippet bounced up in excitement to the height of the owners shoulders! (not talking LHW, but whippet whippets)
I saw someone handling a scottish deerhound puppy once and it as the same thing only 100x bigger scale. :rofl1:

When I think of the younger jrs handling around here, I usually see them with dogs like eskies, shih tzus, small spaniels like cavs or tibbies, etc. I have seen a couple with whippets, and some with larger dogs like collies and a greyhound.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
What about English Cocker? Or a cav Tibetan Spaniel? You siad no toys but a lot of the sturdier toy and small spaniels are great little easygoing dogs. You can't get much friendlier and happier than a cavalier.

I think it does depend on the kid and it's impossible to know now. Nikki was the PERFECT kids dog for me, but I think she would have been too much for Josie. Rose is a very mild mannered dog, very small and not intimidating at all. She's perfect for Jo. Any more dog would have probably overwhelmed her. Nikki and I were the typical kid and dog I think. I dragged her everywhere with me. I taught her so many tricks and we even put on shows for the other kids. Looking back she had a lot of drive and energy but it worked for me.

Ilyena

I second the cavalier suggestion if you could put up with the hair. I would not consider my cav to be a toy dog and I have never seen a friendlier and happier dog. The only little drawback is all the hair. It never ends... when he sheds I have to brush him every day. I know not all cavs shed as much as he does though and really all it takes is a good brushing, not time-consuming at all.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
honestly a powderpuff crestie might be perfect, a hairless would be good too but are certainly not your every day dog.

puffs will need bathing, and brushing out, but if you get a good one there shouldnt be insane amounts fo grooming in a puff crestie fo the ring. there sweet natured, very sensitive, love their family, playfull and not too tiny, not to mention FAST and very into their people, she could easily do agility obedience and conformation...and they can do ANYTHING, heck ive seen cresties at flyball, on the lure course, and even weight pull!!!

edit to add:
there also the PERFECT breed for a little girl, while some cresties dont like to play dressup, MOST actually love it, they get excited, and actually apreciate it!
everything about ruby and jasper screams "little girls dream dog" lol, ruby esepcially, shell sit and have her nails done, she lets me dye her funny colors, dress her up, loves to play and is my shadow and is very loving.

milos_mommy

Beagles are too drivey?? Lol I'd say no other hound or terrier, than.

I think Cavalier is a good suggestion, I don't know if I already suggested it. Or a pug.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Beagles are too drivey?? Lol I'd say no other hound or terrier, than.

I think Cavalier is a good suggestion, I don't know if I already suggested it. Or a pug.
LOL. I like them. It depends on the dog. Emma could not have been handled by most Jrs in the ring. Im not talking about for me Im talking about for a 6yr old's show dog. ;) SOME may be good but the ones I know are way to drivey (maybe a bad word) for a Jr to handle in the ring.

Dekka

Just try me..
LOL. I like them. It depends on the dog. Emma could not have been handled by most Jrs in the ring. Im not talking about for me Im talking about for a 6yr old's show dog. ;) SOME may be good but the ones I know are way to drivey (maybe a bad word) for a Jr to handle in the ring.
Yes but was Emma a good example of the breed? I might be misremembering but I thought she was a byb or rescue dog? If you are getting into beagles I am sure you would find an easy one. Heck Darien was showing Kaiden in AAC agility and JRTCC trials when he was 6. (was Canadian Champion Junior handler in the JRTCC when he was 8).

Its easier to find the right dog of a breed you are in, vs trying to find the right dog in a breed where you don't have so many, or are less connected.

But seriously if beagles are too drivey, then perhaps a pug? Stay away from non toy breeds as even drivey beagles are not that drivey in the scheme of things. (which is why they make such awesome family pets.) Now non drivey doesn't mean easy to handle. Dekka is very drivey but is also very easy to handle in most cases. Bounce is MUCH less drivey and can be a bit of a fruit cake at times.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
We could start a revolution in the CKC! Fit and healthy well bred pugs!

To be honest I'll probably never get into showing Pugs because of the especially nasty politics behind the breed, fattening up a dog just to win goes against my morals.

I think you should let Katie have some input. Maybe next time you're at a show you can walk around and look at some different breeds and you could ask her which ones she likes? Just to kinda get an idea of what her preferences are, you of course have the final decision but at least then you kinda get a ballpark of what she wants.

milos_mommy

I think you should let Katie have some input. Maybe next time you're at a show you can walk around and look at some different breeds and you could ask her which ones she likes? Just to kinda get an idea of what her preferences are, you of course have the final decision but at least then you kinda get a ballpark of what she wants.
Lol if the next show she goes to is in like three years :p Isn't Katie around 1?

Though I'm sure it's not ever too early to introduce her to different breeds and types of dogs.

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
LOL. Her thing is Look Mommy a Puppy!!!

I started this to give me some ideas of breeds to watch for the future. Yes it will be partialy her choice, but partialy mine as well. Knowing full well that she could drop the dog lover thing at anytime, the dog will still be a family member and I want something that we enjoy having in the house.

I want something that whont fustrate a young person learning to show.

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
Lab?

Oh what about a Clumber Spaniel? I know nothing about them except that they are adorable, so its probably not even a consideration :p

FastDogsOwnMe

My dog's faster than you!
Whippets are great- I didn't even have to read very far before I was thinking, "Well, duh- a Whippet!" Mine is 13 and the best dog ever.

Members online