Itching..food?..if u were me..

Abbygirl

Okay--8 week old poodle--itching all the time. Switched food to Natural Balance duck/potatoe kibble and some can. I can get anything...so if you were me desparate for your pet and not wanting steroid shots..what would you try first? I am so confused about the food...I guess there are alot of options...I will start thinking Innova EVO then I read something like--gas/runny poops and that makes me go to the next option until I go round and round. Is this a goosd food and if she does have an allergy--when will I see improvement on this food? Should I add yogurt or just keep it plain for at least a while...what other supps--which oil brand...what shampoo...what medications if any to relieve her--ughhh!!! I have 4 kids and really need some suggestions/help pretty please!!!!:confused: :)

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
My puppy was on Nutro Ultra puppy food, and he was itching constantly. After trying several different brands, we've finally got him to quit itching by feeding him Royal Canin. I'm not sure what's causing your pup's itching, but Mordy should have some good advice

Abbygirl

pup-man said:
What is she currently eating now?
hello--she has been on the potatoe/duck formula by Natural Balance for 3 days. So frustrating seeing her itch so much:confused:

Abbygirl

cowgurl6254 said:
My puppy was on Nutro Ultra puppy food, and he was itching constantly. After trying several different brands, we've finally got him to quit itching by feeding him Royal Canin. I'm not sure what's causing your pup's itching, but Mordy should have some good advice
How long did it take?

Mordy

Quigleyfied
If the food is the cause of the itching, it will take several days at the very least for the symptoms to disappear. I very much doubt it's a food allergy in a dog that young. Have you checked for fleas?

I would not add a large variety of supplements right now, just a good quality fish oil like for example Grizzly Salmon Oil.

Bathing can bring some relief, but make sure you use a very mild shampoo that does not strip the skin of its protective oils, such as for example Earthbath Clear Advantages.

Can you describe a little more in which areas the puppy scratches, under which circumstances, and what the skin looks like?

Abbygirl

Mordy said:
If the food is the cause of the itching, it will take several days at the very least for the symptoms to disappear. I very much doubt it's a food allergy in a dog that young. Have you checked for fleas?

I would not add a large variety of supplements right now, just a good quality fish oil like for example Grizzly Salmon Oil.

Bathing can bring some relief, but make sure you use a very mild shampoo that does not strip the skin of its protective oils, such as for example Earthbath Clear Advantages.

Can you describe a little more in which areas the puppy scratches, under which circumstances, and what the skin looks like?
Thank you mordy==I went and bought the grizzly salmon oil and then solid gold sea...something with kelp? Is that good?

She itches on her ears...feet(chews)--thigh

No fleas--had a dose of ivermectin Sunday...on frontline and itching started prior to this. Vet is supposed to call today to discuss our options.
So no food allergy at this age--and I have driven myself nuts over picking food:eek:

cowgurl6254

Herding dogs rock!!!
With my puppy, it took about a week on RC before I could see a huge difference in his coat. The itching stopped within two days though :)

Staff online

Members online