Bernese Mountain Dogs

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
The breeder I got Bodi from has had several Berner's live past 10 - Bodi's Grandma is 8 and is in perfect health - she still looks like a showgirl.

Another thing with Berners - they cannot tolerate heat at all - they need to be kept cool during warmer months. Also Bodi sheds the least of any dog I've ever owned. More like tumbleweeds - not hair all over like my GSD or Akita.

I would love to post pictures of my pup (I've got thousands) but don't know how.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Load your pictures on photobucket, copy the IMG link, and paste it here (in a post). (Correct me if I'm wrong anyone. :) )

Wow I would LOVE the breeder info that you got Bodi from! Thats awesome that her dogs have lived that long.

corgi_love

Change of plans- I'm going to Kentucky on Friday. I'll see if she has Willie there, I'll be sure to bring my camera and ask :)

Labra

They have become very popular in the last few years. They will likely become a victim of their own popularity like so many other breeds,

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
My Grandpa has one named Bear, but he is not your typical BMD. Basic BYB dog. A bit aggresive [not normal for a Bermie], but very obedient.

pacopoe

They have become very popular in the last few years. They will likely become a victim of their own popularity like so many other breeds,
It's already happening. If you want one do your research well and go to Bodhi's breeder.

I have worked with many, helped raise 4 from puppies (in a day care setting), did their training, etc. I have not worked with one stable Berner. Not saying there aren't any, but there are many disreputable breeders at least here in CA that are throwing out Berners with congenital blindness, bad hips, and awful temperaments. These breeders have been made aware of these problems and still continue to breed the same dogs.

Granted, I'm talking about working with the dogs rich people buy on a whim and, generally, they don't do their research, but the breed is becoming very popular. I think people consider them a cooler colored Golden, and that they are not.

I met one well balanced Berner and she was a gem!

Bodi's Mom

Hylen's Bodacious Big Boy
Local BMD Clubs and Club events in your area are a great place to find the best Berner breeders as well as excellent examples of the breed itself. Every one of the events I have ever attended in my area have produced hundreds of wonderful Berners.

Paige

Let it be
The only one I have a clear memory of was terribly crippled. It was a sad, sad sight to watch the guy attempt to walk about.

msm4

Bostons rock!
They are loyal,beautiful,great with kids. I absolutly LOVE theese dogs. Very cancer prone though.

I have only known two ... one male and one female. The male was pretty nutty until he matured, despite the fact that he was neutered. The female was calmer. Both were wonderful and majestic-looking dogs!

But I wouldn't own one precisely because of their very short average life spans ... early heartbreakers!

Members online