Should moderators be able to delete their own threads IF...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can say I have lied online before. I wanted my life to seem more interesting then I thought it was, and it kinda gave me a fun thrill. I learned from getting caught, and plan to never do it again, and will never. I forgive this mod who lied, and I hope she comes back even after all this. Maybe clear things up and start fresh. I know when I had started fresh, I felt alot better.

On the topic of mods/admins being able to delete their own threads, or even lock. I don't believe it's fair they can just do that when they want. I've had things I've wanted gone in the past on different forums, and don't have that option which, in all, did kind of make me feel groggy, but I got over it, which I think even those with the option too should do.

Bailey08

Thank God I have nothing to hide ! My opinions may have changed over my years here , but that's from learning more .
Okay, I know this is OT, and I'm not trying to make things worse -- but I've seen you delete a post when you thought the better of it.

There's nothing wrong with deleting a post shortly after you've made it. Even members can do it for a limited amount of time, and the mods will be glad to help if the time's past if you PM us and discuss it. I know I've done it for members quite a few times.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Thanks mods for putting the thread back up... I missed the last several pages of posts so was really confused about all of this.
Now that I can read it all for myself, I really don't know what to say. Or what can be said. I'm stunned.

bubbatd

Don't know which one , but I do delete if my input is an echo of the one before or I'm being sucky !

ACooper

Okay, I know this is OT, and I'm not trying to make things worse -- but I've seen you delete a post when you thought the better of it.
That's about the equivalent of people posting "never mind" or "nm" after erasing what they originally said after they've thought it over or reread what they said. They used their OWN common sense and thought better of it.

Also, don't be so certain that Grammy deleted her own post, or me, or any mod who's had posts deleted for that matter. We have been known to moderate each other from time to time ;)

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
yes there is nothign wrong with editing or deleting a post of your own within the time limit.

What we all seem to have a REAL problem with is going back to a post that is a few years OLD and modifying it to state the "truth" as you want to tell it now.

That is wrong... and then to delete your own thread that has been up for more than a few hours because you didn't want to answer questions.

That is NOT OK and there is a reason we don't all have the power to do that whenever we want. Because it's not right.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
yes there is nothign wrong with editing or deleting a post of your own within the time limit.

What we all seem to have a REAL problem with is going back to a post that is a few years OLD and modifying it to state the "truth" as you want to tell it now.

That is wrong... and then to delete your own thread that has been up for more than a few hours because you didn't want to answer questions.

That is NOT OK and there is a reason we don't all have the power to do that whenever we want. Because it's not right.
^That exactly. This is totally different than that scenario.

ACooper

I don't think any of the mods or admin are disagreeing with you on that sparks.

We are however waiting to hear from Foxy herself and find out what was going on........no more, no less. She has been a long standing member, she deserves the right to speak with us, share her views, and explain anything she wishes to explain. The thread has been restored, nothing has been locked or taken away.

We would offer that courtesy to you, Puck, Jessie, or any long standing member. It's the very LEAST we would do IMO for all time and effort you have given this forum over the years yes?

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.

We are however waiting to hear from Foxy herself and find out what was going on........no more, no less. She has been a long standing member, she deserves the right to speak with us, share her views, and explain anything she wishes to explain. The thread has been restored, nothing has been locked or taken away.

We would offer that courtesy to you, Puck, Jessie, or any long standing member. It's the very LEAST we would do IMO for all time and effort you have given this forum over the years yes?
i agree she should have her say. but will it be the truth? gahhhhhh i hate this.:mad: thanks again for all the other mods handling this chitstorm

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney

FRICK

I had something typed up and it deleted GARGH

cliffnotes

what courtesty would be extended to me? I dont' understand.

I don't really have an opinion on the breeding thing because I don't know enough about her dogs or where they came from and what not.

MY issue and the issue of many others lies with the abuse of mod privilege to just go back and edit olllllllld posts and to delete her own thread.

yes it's back now but that doesn't change what was done.

if you mean you would give us the courtesy to explain our side of the story then yes I agree :) and I am waiting for that. like I said I dont' really know much about the dogs so can't really say one way or the other.

but as for the abuse of modship... what is there to explain?

Jynx

This is kinda sad, but hey it's the internet and anyone can be anyone and say anything they like:)) However, being a moderator of another forum, if one of our mods did this type of thing, they'd be out.

I do have to say, being from CT myself, if she was showing dogs in CKC events, it wasn't happening around these parts..The closest CKC shows are Georgia. (you can look it up on the CKC site)..

Diane

Thanks to the Mods for putting the thread back. You all have a difficult job and may not always be appreciated, but this action shows respect for the members and their concerns. This is a very good forum.

Whatever issues Foxy is dealing with - this must be painful.

On Jessie's memory.... It's simply a matter of paying attention to what people state/write. When you continue to pay attention as time goes by, you can't help but notice when someone states something completely different. You do go back and check when something is a contradiction rather than shooting your mouth off - it's being accurate. It's not a witch hunt.

What would be the point of communicating with members or responding to threads if they are simply fiction?

There are members on here who have given items, money, support etc. to fellow members. We would feel betrayed to find out we were duped/lied to. Even though it's the internet, there is a certain amount of trust established on this unique forum.

I want to know the Mods can be trusted.

I've been offline Saturday and most of Sunday until late this afternoon so I'm trying to sort it all out.

I'd be a lot more upset if she hadn't made a very obvious notation of the edit. But we'll wait and get the whole story.

I have, and so have some of the other mods, more than anyone's ever noticed, gone back and edited, even deleted, for members under different circumstances.

Yes, a different course of action would have been better; actions taken in haste and high emotion are often regrettable.

Bunny82

I read this and the thread in question and while I may not agree with it, I would like to hear what Foxy has to say.

She may have good reasons for what she did...Maybe not. Maybe they seemed good at the time and now...not so much. Whatever the case, I'd like to hear her side and then honestly I'd like it all to just move forward...clean slate and a new day.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've been offline Saturday and most of Sunday until late this afternoon so I'm trying to sort it all out.

I'd be a lot more upset if she hadn't made a very obvious notation of the edit. But we'll wait and get the whole story.

I have, and so have some of the other mods, more than anyone's ever noticed, gone back and edited, even deleted, for members under different circumstances.

Yes, a different course of action would have been better; actions taken in haste and high emotion are often regrettable.
There is a difference between a mod editing or deleting a post or thread for another member if there is a very very good reason to than someone deleting their own thread just because they don't like the way it has turned.

I think deleting should be a very last case scenario to be honest. Only when things are dangerous or of course spam.

ACooper

FRICK

I had something typed up and it deleted GARGH

cliffnotes

what courtesty would be extended to me? I dont' understand.

I don't really have an opinion on the breeding thing because I don't know enough about her dogs or where they came from and what not.

MY issue and the issue of many others lies with the abuse of mod privilege to just go back and edit olllllllld posts and to delete her own thread.

yes it's back now but that doesn't change what was done.

if you mean you would give us the courtesy to explain our side of the story then yes I agree :) and I am waiting for that. like I said I dont' really know much about the dogs so can't really say one way or the other.

but as for the abuse of modship... what is there to explain?
Oh sparks, I should have made it clearer on the "courtesy" I was speaking of :) Of course you (or another member) wouldn't be in this same exact boat of editing or deleting things because of the time limit, and I'm sure Foxy will answer for that in due time.

I meant if you were caught up in a mess, stories floating around, things which appeared to have taken place, etc etc.......I for one would want to know who, what, when, how, and why from YOU before I got carried away. For no other reason than I feel I *know you* as much as you can know somebody you've never met. I know you have a good heart (as I believe of Foxy) and would want to attempt in every possible way to understand your side of things.

That is all I meant about courtesy.

There are good reasons Mods need the ability to delete and edit things from times gone by. We have done those things for others in stalking situations, and many other cases I don't need to list, situations where "cleaning the closet" could help or at the very least, not make things worse for them in real life.

Also, there are MANY times where someone comes on here frantic to get their dog back because it's missing or something, posts all their personal information (phone and address) and either realizes it was foolish and ASKS us to take it off, or we notice it and do it on our own. That post could have been made at midnight and none of us were on to get to it at that moment, but we do it ASAP.

Yes, the privilege/power *appears* to have been abused in this instance. It really isn't feasible to remove that power due to the reasons I've listed above though, and to my knowledge, you can't separate that power and exclude the ability to alter your own........we are on the honor system and THAT is what Foxy needs to enlighten us about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.