dog attack blind woman

B

Bobsk8

Where does it say there are?
A credible reporter would obtain witness testimony, not "a dispatcher said." The dispatcher wasn't there either! There is no support for the article whatsoever.

You just want to believe what you want to believe, as ignorant as that makes you. All pit bulls are bad in your eyes.

I hope your dog is never involved in any kind of fight, because, God forbid, your animal should be deemed dangerous.
And apparently even though the attack was reported to the police ( and trust me, anyone with an ounce of sense knows that the police are not going to release the names of any witnesses to the press especially since the blind women was already fearing retaliation by the Pit Bull's owner) you chose to believe that the people that reported this event had some kind of vendetta against Pit Bulls and made up the entire story. So don't lecture me about believing what I want to believe.

You should have been in the Emergency Vet's office last weekend with me, when this family ( young mother, father and 6 year old daughter) brought their dog in that had it's leg almost severed by the neighbors pit bull, and as they were all crying in the waiting room wondering if their dog was ever going to walk again or survive for that matter, you could have started lecturing them on how nice Pit Bulls are....... They would have loved that.....
and guess what, that story didn't even make the papers.......

moxiegrl

Have you heard the expression...There are no bad dogs, only bad owners?
I think this phrase is the epitomy of pitts. People who do not understand, properly socialize, and treat these dogs correctly are asking for trouble...
Hence...BAD OWNERS! not BAD DOGS!

SiNNiK

I know, like I said in a above post, someone asked me if Samm was part pit! :eek: some people are just clueless..lol

This is kinda off topic, but...

Would BSL not only ban pit bulls, but GSD too? i hope not..:(
Last friday I went to pick up my kids at school and a gentleman walked up with a Beagle on a leash and was waiting for his kid also. I commented on how well mannered she was, and he was telling me a little about her history and what a good girl she was, when two young kids asked if they could pet her. He gave them permission and the girls started petting and talking when the older girl said "it must be a pitbull mixed with dalmation or something". I busted out laughing and looked at the owner, he was evidently irked and bewildered at her remark.

So yeah, when "people" or "witnesses" say that it was a Pit Bull, I'm skeptical.

And how about a little dog on dog aggression, [thread=34675]Golden Retriever[/thread] style?

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
Last friday I went to pick up my kids at school and a gentleman walked up with a Beagle on a leash and was waiting for his kid also. I commented on how well mannered she was, and he was telling me a little about her history and what a good girl she was, when two young kids asked if they could pet her. He gave them permission and the girls started petting and talking when the older girl said "it must be a pitbull mixed with dalmation or something". I busted out laughing and looked at the owner, he was evidently irked and bewildered at her remark.

So yeah, when "people" or "witnesses" say that it was a Pit Bull, I'm skeptical.

And how about a little dog on dog aggression, [thread=34675]Golden Retriever[/thread] style?
lol..I could only imagine the expression on that guys face..

elegy

overdogged
I didn't know that Labs and retrievers were bred to fight other dogs...
and pit bulls were bred to be extremely human-friendly so that they could be handled in the midst of a dog-fight in a pit. but we still get plenty of human-aggressive ones.

there are a lot of dogs who aren't what they were bred to be. there are a lot of dogs with bad temperaments. there are dogs who bite people, who attack people, who attack other dogs.

yes, a lot of them are pit bulls, but a lot of them aren't.

it's an owner problem, no matter what the breed.

Boemy

Pit bulls are definitely not the only dogs that attack people (or dogs.) They were bred to fight other dogs, so of course responsible owners are careful, just as responsible greyhound owners don't let their dogs run loose and kill stray cats. Sadly, there are many irresponsible pit bull owners who get the dogs because of their reputation and "they look scary." :rolleyes:

In my city, there was a pit bull attack recently . . . The people who owned them had trained them to be "guard dogs" and put up "beware of dog" signs. The dogs ended up attacking their own grandkids. Very stupid training a dog bred never to "back off" to attack humans.

But before that, the most recent dog attack was a cairn terrier who made the front page after he mauled a 70 year old man walking his bull mastiff. The paper actually used the word "mauled." The man almost lost an arm.

The attack before that was from a boxer who attacked a police officer three times (the dog kept attacking, running off, then running back to attack again) who ended up being shot after he wouldn't retreat even after being tasered multiple times.

It's not all pit bulls, they just stick in people's minds. In the 80s, no one was worried about pit bulls, it was all dobermans and German shepherds. :rolleyes: I had a long argument with my mom because she couldn't believe the dog who chewed off that French woman's face (the one who needed reconstructive surgery) was a labrador retriever.

Squidbert

Scum scum scum scum..SCUM
"THE PITBULL DID IT"

By Moxiegrl

Anytime a dog is attacked, no matter the breed, a pitbull is responsible. The owner is not held accountable, because the dog was "bred" to fight and attack anything that moves. We should outlaw these horrible fighting dogs, and ignore any dog attack that involves a different breed. Because only pits and pit mixes are "bred" to do this!

Happy now Bobsk8?

*sorry im in a bad mood today*
Teeheehee... well said! :D :hail:

B

Bobsk8

Have you heard the expression...There are no bad dogs, only bad owners?
I think this phrase is the epitomy of pitts. People who do not understand, properly socialize, and treat these dogs correctly are asking for trouble...
Hence...BAD OWNERS! not BAD DOGS!
But those people ( owners) aren't the people that get their faces ripped of , or have their kids mauled. It is the poor unfortunate innocent victims that are unlucky enough to live in neighborhoods where these aggresive dogs live. Why should my safety or the safety of my friends or family depend on the ability of someone that buys a potentially lethal dog to train it properly , and if they don't, I have to bear the consequences?

B

Bobsk8

and pit bulls were bred to be extremely human-friendly so that they could be handled in the midst of a dog-fight in a pit. but we still get plenty of human-aggressive ones.

there are a lot of dogs who aren't what they were bred to be. there are a lot of dogs with bad temperaments. there are dogs who bite people, who attack people, who attack other dogs.

yes, a lot of them are pit bulls, but a lot of them aren't.

it's an owner problem, no matter what the breed.
If you read the history of the pit bull, you will find that these dogs were selected to be non-aggresive towards people and their handlers on an ongoing basis. Any dog , during a fight , that was aggresive towards a persons was euthanized. That selection and elimination process hasn't been done for decades, so these human aggresive towards humans dogs are now part of the normal breed mix .

elegy

overdogged
most dogs are potentially lethal. *your* dog is potentially lethal.

if you want to do something about problems in your neighborhood, get on the police to enforce leash laws. raise concerns with local government about chaining. start carrying citronella or pepper spray if you're really that worried.

in all the times i've had my dogs charged/jumped, only once has it been a pit bull mix (pit/boxer).

elegy

overdogged
If you read the history of the pit bull, you will find that these dogs were selected to be non-aggresive towards people and their handlers on an ongoing basis. Any dog , during a fight , that was aggresive towards a persons was euthanized. That selection and elimination process hasn't been done for decades, so these human aggresive towards humans dogs are now part of the normal breed mix .
any responsible pit bull owner or breeder would euthanize a human-aggressive dog. afaik there is no other breed out there which at any point was selectively bred for non-aggression toward humans.

there are plenty of poorly bred dogs of ALL breeds who are aggressive. it's not just pit bulls by far.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*

You should try educating yourself further on the matter, Bob. You come to the table extremely bias and with little information on pit bulls and other dogs that attack. I tried once to help you... show you websites, etc... but I guess you just want to believe what you want to believe. Perhaps you are caught up in the media sensationalization of the pit bull breed... I'm not really sure. However, I do know that you're never to old to learn and I sincerely hope that you give it a shot one of these days.

~Tucker&Me~

Bob, I believe Pitties did better on the TTest then GSDs, which I believe your dog is mixed with.

~Tucker

elegy

overdogged
mixed breed dogs also rank second right behind pit bulls for most human deaths.

L

LabBreeder

BobSk8 - Good breeders (of pits) do NOT breed human agressive pits. They strive to breed out any human agression and be true to the pits standards. Pits are not the only dogs that can (and have) "ripped off" someone's face. There are reports aplenty that you can 'google' on different breeds "attacking".
It all boils down to BAD OWNERS REGARDLESS OF THE BREED. Pits, Rotts, GSD's, Mastiff's and other large/x-large breeds are getting more attention because they are not considered "happy, waggy, friendly" dogs. I'm not saying they aren't, just that most people don't look at a Rottweiler and say "oh look how sweet he is" if the dog has been known to bark/growl/attack or if the person has been attacked/bitten by the breed before.
If owners trained their animals and BYB's and puppy mills were put out of business we'd have a lot LESS problems with agressive dogs. They'd all be trained and bred correctly. Some dogs are dog agressive (which can be dealt with in the proper hands). I don't think there are any breeds that are supposed to be human agressive. Bad breeding and bad owners = bad dogs (or dog attacks).

Quit blaming the breed and start blaming the people behind the breeding or the owners. Dogs do what they've been (poorly) bred to do or what they haven't been trained NOT to do.

bubbatd

There are MANY here on Chaz that have GOOD Pitts...well bred of none fighting lines and well socialized . Our Clinic vet say that Pitties are their favorites ( after Goldens LOL!) .... but I doubt if they have ever had the " norm" pittie from around here .... they don't vet / just train to fight or attack . If a Golden ever attacks it is either VERY poor breeding or no socialization. Same with many breeds. Bob , I understand your stance. There are many breeds I wouldn't own, because I would never take the chance when there are so many others to choose from . This is a sad case.... I wish I knew more of the back ground ....was it normally loose ?? Had it been agressive before ?? The Pitt that attacked a 17 month old girl in her stroller here in April was PTS. He got out the door ..... the baby is still in the hospital with many more operations to reconstruct her face ..... one eye was gouged out and they're trying to save the other , which was out of it's socket . Did the owner know there could be a problem ?? Who knows !

L

LabBreeder

BTW - How do we know it was a Pit? The dispatcher says it was, but he/she wasn't there. The blind woman and her dog were. She can't see the dog and her dog (as pointed out earlier) can't talk. We already know how uneducated some people can be when trying to "guess" the breed of a dog. Especially when it's attacking someone.
Before we get the whole story and see if there were witnesses, a picture of the dog involved, the blind woman's point of view, etc we need to withhold judgement (somewhat). The dog attacked her, regardless of breed, and should be put down (unless it was provoked in some way by someone into wanting to fight...then maybe rehab or more investigation). IF it was a pit, that's bad for pit owners and good for BSL. IF it wasn't then the story will probably die and we'll never hear more about it because it was a different, (usually) less threatening breed involved.

moxiegrl

Bobsk8 said:
But those people ( owners) aren't the people that get their faces ripped of , or have their kids mauled. It is the poor unfortunate innocent victims that are unlucky enough to live in neighborhoods where these aggresive dogs live. Why should my safety or the safety of my friends or family depend on the ability of someone that buys a potentially lethal dog to train it properly , and if they don't, I have to bear the consequences?
First off...Owners do get attacked. But thats not the point. It is horrible when anyone gets attacked by ANY dog. But unfortunately, people will continue to be absent in their training of many dogs. Should you have to bear the consequences? no! Should the dog? no! Both do though...people need to be aware of the breed they are getting and work accordingly...but it still comes down to the owner...not the dog! And if the dog has problems that cant be corrected, responsible owners will not let the dog have the chance to harm anyone.

Members online

No members online now.