Introducing Dog to new resident

Be careful with your Giant. If Chief thinks that your aunt is getting you upset, he may try and get between you and your aunt. At that point be sure to calm him down and let him know that he doesn't need to interfere, otherwise he will.

Also, watch the interaction between Chief and your aunt very closely for a few days. If she is aggresive with him you MUST tell her that its inappropriate and tell your parents. Because his history is murky, you do not know how he will react to new situations and new people. Also, if your aunt doesn't like dogs, dogs trying to brush themselves along her legs, doesn't like petting dogs, doesn't like having a dog touch her with a wet nose, doesn't liek being licked, or doesn't like being followed by a big black dog, you need to have that conversation early on. Chief will do all those things, as you probably know by now.

Hope all goes well. ;)

Invisible

siemens716 said:
Be careful with your Giant. If Chief thinks that your aunt is getting you upset, he may try and get between you and your aunt. At that point be sure to calm him down and let him know that he doesn't need to interfere, otherwise he will.

Also, watch the interaction between Chief and your aunt very closely for a few days. If she is aggresive with him you MUST tell her that its inappropriate and tell your parents. Because his history is murky, you do not know how he will react to new situations and new people. Also, if your aunt doesn't like dogs, dogs trying to brush themselves along her legs, doesn't like petting dogs, doesn't like having a dog touch her with a wet nose, doesn't liek being licked, or doesn't like being followed by a big black dog, you need to have that conversation early on. Chief will do all those things, as you probably know by now.

Hope all goes well. ;)
Thanks Siemens. :)

I will keep an eye on Chief and so are my parents. I'm going to stay as calm as possible so he doesn't think he has to protect me from her. Oh and for the wet nose, rubbing up against her, and all the other doggy things she knows she is allowed to stay here for a while, but that he was here first and that he lives here and we aren't going to ban him outside. That he is a member of the family also, even if he was adopted ;)
I'll tell my parents to tell her how to act and how not to act around Chief.
Thanks, your as helpful as ever :)

I knew you'd be a big help, Siemens! Giant Schnauzers just aren't that common and they are such a unique breed. First hand experience is always good to be able to rely on.

Invisible

Well, my aunts here. We let Chief meet here out in a field so he could maybe be more interested in sniffing around then her. He did sniff a bit but he kept an eye on her. It really didn't go to bad. :) I calm and he wasn't aggressive. He seemed cautious, but not at all aggressive. We moved all her stuff in yesterday. So far she is fine and my parents told her what she can't do around chief and that she isn't the boss when my parents leave (hopefully that will work). Anyways it has been fine so far, but it's still early.

Saje

Island dweller
Have your parents given her a deadline for how long she can stay? That's important. I had a house'guest' that was supposed to come for a couple of weeks but we had to keep him out after a couple of months. :( It was awful.

Invisible

Saje said:
Have your parents given her a deadline for how long she can stay? That's important. I had a house'guest' that was supposed to come for a couple of weeks but we had to keep him out after a couple of months. :( It was awful.
No they never set a limit. I wish they would though, but they dont wanna be rude.

Setting limits will actually keep things from getting unpleasant, and the time period can always be extended . . . but your parents probably aren't comfortable with being that pro-active. It's too bad, really, since these situations that are left open ended usually end up badly . . . But if that happens at least you'll be rid of her!

Glad things went so well with Chief. Maybe if she has a bit of respect for him she'll be more reluctant to bully you.

Members online

No members online now.