Differences between Lhasa apso and Shih tzu?

Mariana

What are the differences between a Lhasa apso and a Shih tzu? How can you tell one apart from the other? They look basically the same to me, and I always confuse them...
And what about theit temperaments?
Thanks, Mariana

A easy way is that shi tzus has a short nose, flat face and severe undershot bite like a pug

While The lhasa apso has a normal bit and a normal muzzle

Lhasa

Shih tzu

RD

Are you dead yet?
I believe Lhasas are larger, too, and if you're looking at show dogs, Lhasas aren't shown with a topknot (although I know a lot of people with pet Lhasas that have topknots).

I worked as a groomer and was never really exposed to the *best* examples of the breed, but I found Lhasas to be more aloof and catlike than Shih Tzus.

Mariana

OH!!!!! I see! Looking at the muzzle and their bite makes it fairly easy. I would still love to hear other tips, but this really helped me.
I met a female shih tzu and a male lhasa apso. They live together and they really look like the same breed, so I got confused. The lhasa is a bit taller, but he has the same face than the shih tzu. He is really flat faced and has an undershot bite. He looks more like a pekingese than anything else (from the face.)...I guess he´s just atypical. I`ll try to post their pics so you can see them.
And yes...this Lhasa is more aloof, and the shih tzu is really playful.
Thanks again
Mariana

Members online