Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 04-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Sport Model Pug

Default Preventing Muscle Soreness/stiffness

Obviously stretch, which was my problem on Friday for my fitness evaluation... I didn't stretch enough as I felt like vomiting from drinking too much water during activities so I just laid down until I didn't feel sick anymore. So my muscles were pretty sore, though its almost gone today. I hot tubbed a bit and did some yoga which was nice.

So I'll be doing work outs (push ups, weights, chin ups, squats, etc.) MWF and cardio (treadmill) TThSa with only Sundays off, about an hourlong for each.

Anything special anyone does? I'm thinking of doing some gentle yoga after class as kind of a cool down.

They are showing us a bunch of stuff on Wednesday (our regeneration and flexibility sessions are every Wednesday for this month) but I'd like to do something in the meantime.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-07-2013, 08:23 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Really the only thing you can do for muscle soreness is warm up, stretch, workout, cool down and stretch. Consistently workout and improve your endurance and fitness levels. When you are out of shape and then exerçise it's going to hurt. Heck when you are in shape and you really workout it's going to hurt.

Stretch and even if your muscles are sore workout anyway and just modify your moves if you can't do them full out.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-07-2013, 08:24 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
Obviously stretch, which was my problem on Friday for my fitness evaluation... I didn't stretch enough as I felt like vomiting from drinking too much water during activities so I just laid down until I didn't feel sick anymore. So my muscles were pretty sore, though its almost gone today. I hot tubbed a bit and did some yoga which was nice.

So I'll be doing work outs (push ups, weights, chin ups, squats, etc.) MWF and cardio (treadmill) TThSa with only Sundays off, about an hourlong for each.

Anything special anyone does? I'm thinking of doing some gentle yoga after class as kind of a cool down.

They are showing us a bunch of stuff on Wednesday (our regeneration and flexibility sessions are every Wednesday for this month) but I'd like to in the meantime.
Big dose of vitamin c, an anti inflamitory like ibuprofen & a hot shower right after your work out.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
Big dose of vitamin c, an anti inflamitory like ibuprofen & a hot shower right after your work out.
Ah, now i understand why they have us prescribed to take big doses of vitamin C right after our workouts haha

I was hoping you'd reply so thanks

I really like this place. I don't like all those "gimmicky" (for lack of a better term) classes that try to mask working out. This is an olympic weightlifting gym's "transformations" class and it's all back to the good old fashioned basics. Simple stuff that works ya know? Anyway, I'm excited to do these next 3 months and hopefully another 3 after that of this program (and a little scared as while I was a competitive athlete for many many years, i took the "retirement" from ita little too seriously haha!)

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Really the only thing you can do for muscle soreness is warm up, stretch, workout, cool down and stretch. Consistently workout and improve your endurance and fitness levels. When you are out of shape and then exerçise it's going to hurt. Heck when you are in shape and you really workout it's going to hurt.

Stretch and even if your muscles are sore workout anyway and just modify your moves if you can't do them full out.
Yeah, that's the plan. I was felt sick and was silly and didn't do what i know i should and i paid for it (why is my house all stairs ugh!).

The Proudest Pug
Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Ah, now i understand why they have us prescribed to take big doses of vitamin C right after our workouts haha

I was hoping you'd reply so thanks

I really like this place. I don't like all those "gimmicky" (for lack of a better term) classes that try to mask working out. This is an olympic weightlifting gym's "transformations" class and it's all back to the good old fashioned basics. Simple stuff that works ya know? Anyway, I'm excited to do these next 3 months and hopefully another 3 after that of this program (and a little scared as while I was a competitive athlete for many many years, i took the "retirement" from ita little too seriously haha!)
When you're a Marine in your late 30s & early 40s trying to keep up with 18-24 year olds, well you just have to learn & try as many recovery short cuts as you can. Another trick I used back when I drank was to down a nearly frozen beer while I took the hottest shower I could stand. It made the tired & sore muscles relax into a jello like state. Followed by plenty of water & I was ready to go to the clubs & chase girls all night.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Yeah, that's the plan. I was felt sick and was silly and didn't do what i know i should and i paid for it (why is my house all stairs ugh!).
Ugh... Stairs= torture devices. If you ever wonder how sore you really are... Take the stairs lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 04-07-2013, 10:33 PM
Very Food Agressive

Drinking water before and after worked better for me than drinking during. I'm with you, drinking during just makes me feel sloshy and like puking. Wheneveg I get home from working out I do a hot shower followed by about 15 minutes of yoga/stretching and at least 16 oz of water before bed (I usually work out at 10pm)

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:30 AM
Top Dog

I've always had a problem with the muscles over my shins being crazy sore after jogging, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to stretch them so they aren't vengeful the next couple of days.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:40 AM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalyxa View Post
I've always had a problem with the muscles over my shins being crazy sore after jogging, and for the life of me I can't figure out how to stretch them so they aren't vengeful the next couple of days.
Place your feet about a foot apart, keep your whole foot flat and squat down. Stay in that position and lean torward and backward and side to side, slowly. Don't bounce or rock really fast. You'll feel a good stretch to the muscle in front of your shin as well as pretty much your whole lower leg.

I have to use a stationary object to support me when I do this. I read somewhere that children and lots of tribal folks use this squatting stance quite frequently, but if you don't practice it often the muscles stiffen and its hard to do. Basically, most adults have a hard time doing it at first.

Also, one other thing I did when I had shin splints was to take a 25lb plate at the gym, sit down on a bench, then place the weight on my toe and stabilize it with my hand, then raise my toe up off the floor repeatedly about 10 times. 3 sets on each foot will strengthen your shin muscle (for lack of a better word) Obviously, if that's too hard use a smaller plate and work your way up. Wear shoes while doing it