Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
If I grow a veggie garden, do those veggies tend to taste better than store bought?
YES! They most definitely do.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM
Top Dog

What type of texture grossed you out? Is it crunchy or mushy or what?

Puréed veggies would probably be your best bet. A butternut squash soup with a strong spice like curry might be a good starter.

Home grown veggies will taste better, but better in the sense that they'll have a "stronger" taste and fragrance. Store bought veggies generally taste milder, which might be better in your case.

Good luck!
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

I cant imagine how it would be to hate veggies, I love them LOL, except peas & asparagus, but I love everything else, some I like better steamed then raw, like brocoli & califlower, but most other veggies esp carrots, I will eat raw. LOL I buy a bag or carrots for my horse & nine times out of ten I will end up eating them before he does LMBO

Old 01-27-2013, 10:08 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
If I grow a veggie garden, do those veggies tend to taste better than store bought?
They definitely do. My kids hated veggies until we planted a garden together. Then they'd go out and graze on the raw stuff. My daughter found out she loves raw home grown kale. Carrots are amazingly sweet and tender too. Every year I plant brandywine tomatoes because they seriously taste like candy to us. We can't put them in sandwiches or burgers because they're too sweet and it tastes weird.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:14 PM
Top Dog

I personally love my veggies, but I lure my little cousin into eating them by cooking them in special ways. (I love to cook and eat, so it's a special treat for me, too.) Parmesan cheese broccoli, garlic & ginger green beans, and carrots cooked in brown sugar with butter are some of my favorites. May help with the smell issue. As far as texture goes, I've noticed that a lot of people don't cook things quite the texture I like. I like my peas mushier and my carrots crunchier when cooked. Just experiment a bit, but also remember that you may end up needing to suck it up for about a month while you get accustomed to the new tastes and textures.
If the above doesn't help much, I second the soup idea. Butternut squash soup is one of my favorites, but since you like potatoes, you could try making a cream of potato soup with other ground up veggies to replace some of the potatoes. Assuming you have a good blender or food processor, you'll barely even notice them in there.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

OMG this thread was made for me. I HATE veggies too.

The only way I eat certain veggies is mixed in with soup (I loooveee Maryland Vegetable Crab Soup) and I love carrots that have been cooking in the crockpot all day with a roast. But otherwise, yuck.

I'm going to read through this whole thread. lol.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:04 AM
Top Dog

I only like raw veggies. The texture of cooked vegetables is gross.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinPinOwner View Post
I only like raw veggies. The texture of cooked vegetables is gross.
Lol, see I'm the opposite. The "crunch" of a veggie just... ugh. Grosses me out. So long as they're mixed in with something else and mushy, I don't mind 'em.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

I used to dislike most veggies as well. Now I force myself to eat raw cauliflower everyday. I fill a container and it has to be gone by the end of the week. I eat others as well with meals, but not as much as I should. I'm getting a lot better. I told myself the minor distaste for veggies now, sure beats how much I'll dislike having cancer some day.

Same with taking shots of fish oil and working out, beats the hell out of heart attack.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:50 AM
Top Dog

You definitely develop tastes for things, too. If you drastically cut back on starch (corn and potatoes are NOT vegetables), the carbs from veggies will be a lot more enjoyable. Just like if you hate fruit and cut out sugar/sweets, fruit starts to taste pretty good (and the thought of a big slice of cake will turn your stomach).

Do you people who hate veggies not even eat salad? What about greens on a sandwich or burger??

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com