Your Easiest Dogs

Ozfozz

Highbread Dingbat
Something that's always sort of amused me in my household is that the dog that requires the least amount of grooming, is the one that enjoys it the most.

Rigby could seriously lay for hours being cleaned, brushed, and trimmed. Yet even though it's a double, her coat is so short and dense that it never tangles/matts, nor do burs or brush stick to it. Occasionally I will sit there for an extended period of time brushing her just because she's enjoying it.
If her nails do get too long, she will chew them off herself - but she is excellent for nail trims (except that her nails are black and I still hate trimming black nails).

Whereas Cobain, whom has a much more intensive coat, isn't quite as tolerant. He just doesn't stay still and appears almost annoyed.

Oz and Ruby both have single coats, but they still get stuff stuck in them, and both of their nails grow like weeds.

Anyways, I'm just curious to those with multiple dogs especially, which of your dogs is easiest in terms of their behaviour, and easiest in terms of their coat?

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Harlow had the most low maintenance coat/nails. She's wash and wear, good I the tub. I don't need to brush her and she doesn't really care for it. She's good for nails, but doesn't enjoy it.

Rider is the big shedder. He gets brushed about once a week. Hates baths. Loves to be brushed thankfully. Good for nails, but doesn't like it. His nails grow so fast.

So far Tulsa is a stinker for nails. It sucks because she's the one that needs neat feet. Lol!

I bathe once every few months. Nails I clip/dremel at least once every three days at max.

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
I don't groom Em, her coat doesn't hold "pond stink" if I bathe her every 3-4 weeks, I don't trim her nails. I do ask her to file her front nails down on a skateboard every 5-6 weeks, but that takes a whopping minute per foot.

All of my other dogs have ridiculously fast growing nails.

iriskai

Lol. I have two Whippets so... A monthly or bi monthly bath (or pre-show), and weekly to bi weekly nail dremmeling, depending on if I need to get them shorter or just maintain. They just stand there or let me lay them upside down to get their feet done. They'll also both jump into the tub on their own (albeit unhappily) for a bath/shower.

I'd say Mimi's easier because her toenails aren't as thick and dremel faster.

Sekah

The Monster.
Cohen tolerates grooming pretty well. She gets brushed at least weekly, nails every 2 weeks or so, baths & fur trims every 3-6 months. I use loads of treats, but she'll hold a stand/stay nicely for me and will reposition herself when asked. It's pretty convenient.

Mega is less convenient, but needs less grooming. She gets a bath every 6-12 months and gets brushed every 2-3 months when her shedding gets out of control. She's more annoying to brush because she was never taught a stand/stay so she squirms all over the place. Food helps us get through it pretty fast though. Her nails get trimmed every 3-4 weeks. When she first came to me she'd threaten to bite when we did nails. Now she tolerates it well, but not as well as bigdog.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Both if my dogs are pretty wash and wear. They get bathed about every 4-6 weeks. Blow dried/brushed with the baths. Nails trimmed every 2-4.

Abrams is a big baby when it comes to his nails, but I'm still able to do him by myself. It's just easier with someone holding him. He is a breeze to bathe and blow dry - he actually enjoys it. Cynder let's me do whatever, but she hates the entire process. She is easier to brush, though, because she's not a wiggle worm.

crazedACD

Skye is easiest. Well, she does dead dog and limps down on the floor so usually I can do whatever to her :p. She hates getting ear cleaner, eye meds, being messed with-but she takes it well. She will get in the tub on her own. She is quiet when I do nails.

Zoie acts worried, she likes being brushed but gets all sullen and wide eyed when I do baths or nails. She pulls them back a lot.

Romeo is good with nails, and I never bathe him. I mean, maybe I've been bathed him twice, ever.

Fiona is not good with her nails. I've figured out if I bring her to the self-wash place and put her on a grooming table, I can do them. Bathing and blow drying and brushing is fine. She struggles if I have to do something specific to her, like ear cleaner or something, but she is ok.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Well, Roxie only gets brushed before baths really... every so often I get all "okay, I'm going to be good and brush you every week!!". But she LOVES being brushed. I hate dealing with all the fur that comes off. That's the main reason I hate brushing dogs.

She's good with baths, as long as you give her a shower. She gets finicky in the bathtub when it's full, even though she has a pool in the summer. But then again, she despises being hosed off, even though she likes showers.

Roxie's not a huge fan of getting her ears cleaned (weekly), or teeth scrubbed (I use cleanse pads from foster and smith, also weekly. She's loads better getting nail trims, although since we've started biking here (no sidewalks) I haven't needed to trim them hardly at all. Used to also happen weekly. She used to be INSANE for nails. Now she just gets over the displeasure of nails, because at least those aren't as bad as teeth and ears!!

Toller_08

All of my dogs are pretty good about grooming. Ripley and Keira don't need it, but the few times I have brushed them with a mitt or a Zoom Groom, they liked it and just stood there. Pretty much anything that involves touching is the best thing ever in their worlds. They don't like baths at all and Keira trembles the entire time sometimes, but they tolerate it. They are pretty decent for their nails too. They do pull their feet away sometimes and Kangaroo kick their back legs, but I get them done by myself within a few minutes regardless. Keira is better about it than Ripley now. Used to be the other way around. Not sure what happened, but Ripley is a little ridiculous about it sometimes now.

Dance is a little bit fidgety when I trim her feet and ears, but she's still very good about it. She doesn't care about brushing. She just stands and waits for me to be done and turns around and switches positions when I ask her. She is the same way with baths. Nails she is a bit of a tyrant for, but I know just the right way to hold and restrain her now, so the worst she can do is scream like she's being killed... but I figure if someone calls bylaw or something on me for the awful noises, I'll just give them a demo of what exactly I am doing haha. She's so dramatic. She's good about being blowdried too. Sometimes she tries to sneak away, but she knows she won't get away with it.

Journey thinks the universe should revolve around her no matter what's happening, so she eagerly waits in line to be grooming haha. She just stands there too during the process and also turns around and switches positions when asked. I wouldn't say she loves grooming so much as she just enjoys that I am doing something with her, regardless of the activity. She's the same with baths and often falls asleep during a bath. She's my best one with nails too. Lately she's been trying to be a bit of a brat with one paw (the most mobile one that she knows she can fidget), but for the rest of her toes she lays there like Jello. Floppy and relaxed. She is good with blow drying too. Doesn't like it, but knows I'm going to do it anyway and she gets a cookie after.

All of my dogs also get their teeth scaled every so often when I remember as well and all of them are good about that too. And mini rant about the random pet people that talk to me about things haha: I very much have a no shenanigans policy when I am doing things to them that need to be done, and there comes a point that I don't care if they're going to be jerks about it. If I've tried making it a happy experience and they just aren't having it, then oh well (like seven year old Dance who is still the biggest pain for nails). Suck it up and get it over with. I don't understand the whole "he doesn't like it so I don't do it" or "he doesn't let me" train of thought. Some things just need to be done and they do not get a choice in the matter. Grooming of any kind is one of those things.

Anyway, as far as coat maintenance goes, on a scale of easiest to most difficult goes: Keira, Ripley (his skin is harder to keep looking nice), Journey, Dance (her coat is terribly fine and tangly since being spayed and grows like crazy).

Easiest to most difficult as far as behaviour goes depends on what exactly I am doing. Easiest to most difficult for each aspect goes...

Nails: Journey, Keira, Ripley, Dance
Brushing: Dance (super still), Journey (a bit happily wiggly lol) - Dobes are irrelevant
Bathing: Dance & Journey, Ripley, Keira
Teeth: Journey, Ripley & Keira, Dance (she squeezes her lips tight)
Drying: Journey, Dance (Journ doesn't sneak away, Dance tries) - Dobes are irrelevant
Trimming: Journey, Dance (fidgety)

I just realized I've never brushed Cooper... :yikes: lol

Though he's half poodle, he has a wiry wash and wear coat. It dries in 5 minutes and dirt falls off of it easily. He does have some sensitivities to pollen, so he tends to get a bath every other week in the Spring. Other than that maybe once a month. He's great for the bath, and LOVES to be toweled off.

He's great for his nails, loves for me to trim them so he can eat what I trim off, lol!!!

Bernie, who I lost in Jan, had a gorgeous, silky double coat with feathers and a long tail. He never smelled dirty and I only brushed him to help with shedding, he didn't mat though he would get some types of weeds stuck in his 'pants'. Bernie loved baths and he had his very own doggy terry cloth bath robe he demanded to be wrapped in while he dried off, lol. I was so excited when I found one in his size. (60 lbs) I still have his robe hanging in my closet... :(

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno's the easiest and of course she requires the least. :) Basically her grooming consists of nail trimming and baths which are usually on a weekly and every other week schedule, respectively. No blow drying or brushing, no routine ear cleaning. Easy peasy and she's perfectly behaved for everything.

Cajun is easy too, basically the same as Juno except right now her nails get done about every other day because I'm trying to get the quicks back. And she's not great for her nails, although she no longer requires sedation and I can do them by myself, so that's a HUGE improvement. But she's good for baths, good for ear cleanings, and I do brush her a bit because she sheds a lot and she doesn't find that a big deal.

Happy is the PITA. Not because she's bad but because there's actually a process with her. I hate her Grinch feet but I haven't cleaned them up in months, probably, because I hate doing it. I hate keeping up on her coat. I hate bathing her because then I have to blow dry her (well, don't "have" to but I don't really like my dog being soggy all day). SHE is easy and well behaved but gah I hate the grooming.

I guess Lucy might actually be the easiest because she just goes to the groomer :D I don't even brush her.

I really should not own a feathery dog. I don't mind brushing in general, but I hate combing out those feathers and Pip absolutely despises it. Instead, I just shave his butt feathers and any dreads he's developed in his tail feathers about twice a year.

BostonBanker

Neither one of my dogs really needs much grooming - and that is intentional! After growing up with a Bedlington, I am well aware that I am not someone who should own a high-maintenance grooming dog.

Meg does have more undercoat, but is probably the one that enjoys grooming the most. I use a rubber curry comb on her and she just leans into it and loves it. I really don't ever brush Gusto; he's not a fan, and his coat is super short and fine. Both get baths when they decide to roll in ick (which is more often than I'd like). Neither is too bad for it at this point.

Nails are the biggest pain. Gusto's are long and thin and grow like bird talons. I really need to teach him to dremel, because I think that is my only hope of getting them the length I want. He absolutely hates having them done, but we have an agreement that he won't bite or pull away, and he gets cookies. Meg's easy to do nails on, and hers are thick and don't seem to grow as fast or as sharp.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I really should not own a feathery dog. I don't mind brushing in general, but I hate combing out those feathers and Pip absolutely despises it. Instead, I just shave his butt feathers and any dreads he's developed in his tail feathers about twice a year.
For whatever reason, I ABHOR brushing a dog purely to keep mats/tangles from forming. Hate it. Will not do it. I don't mind brushing to get dead undercoat out, but brushing just to keep the coat from tangling? God no. The only way I will ever be able to own any kind of dog that needs to be brushed to keep the coat from being a matted mess is if it can be done once a month. I don't mind bathing, brushing, blowing out, and clipping monthly. I have found I absolutely will not do maintenance between grooming sessions. No idea why. I guess I'm just lazy. LOL

Elrohwen

Watson is ok about grooming. I wish he was great, because he does require some grooming, especially if I'm showing him. The other show dogs stand quietly on the grooming tables, acting perfect, and he's flailing around. You really have to convince him that it's his idea. For example, he likes to sit and hates standing on the table, but he needs to stand sometimes. I spent so much time fighting him to stand up - just repeatedly placing him in a standing position. Once I put my forearm under his loins and he literally rested his weight on my arm trying to sit, for about 5-10min while I groomed with the other hand. He was very clearly saying "If you want me to stand, you can hold me up!" :rofl1: He's such a brat.

But then if I ask him to stand and reward him for it every once in a while, he just stands there nicely. People tell me to just out stubborn him (hold on to his foot until he stops jerking it away, keep making him stand, etc) but I just can't do it - he'll go on all day. It's easier to just talk him into it and keep meatballs nearby.

He started matting a little bit this year as his coat has filled out, so I do go over his coat once a week and brush/cut out any I find. but otherwise I don't do anything between baths every 6-8 weeks.

This Friday I'm grooming a 4 month old Welshie puppy for his first show and I'm terrified! There is going to be all kinds of flail going on. I also promised to show the owner how to groom an adult, so let's hope Watson doesn't embarrass me (I'm sure he'll spend the whole time screaming because I won't let him play with the puppy).

Doberluv

I'd say it's a toss up between Jose` and Maurice. Jose` is a Chihuahua mix and while he sheds a little, it's not bad. But he does get hair on me if I hold him. I don't brush him that much or bathe him as often as the Poodles.

Maurice, my smallest Poodle, I keep clipped short with just little bell bottoms around his pasterns and a top knot. His ears are long. And his tail has a little pom on it. So, not much if any tangling. I clip him myself every 3 or 4 weeks just a little bit and shave his face, feet, bum. It's pretty easy and he holds nice and still. Over the last year I've gotten better at grooming. I was terrified when I first got these Poodles. lol. Maurice looks so much better lately than when I started.

No shedding, no hair anywhere. It takes about 5 minutes to bathe this little 3 lbs 14 oz dog in the kitchen sink. I usually blow dry him so he'll be fluffy and not too curly. But I wouldn't have to. He gets brushed/combed about every 3rd day or so. And sometimes he gets rubber bands on his ears so he looks like he has pony tails. He's really cute. Those ears get into his food and banding at least helps a little bit.

Matisse, my show Poodle...now that's another story. He's a pita to keep that coat long and fluffy and free of matts. Every day he needs to be brushed and then combed all the way down to the skin, every square inch. And every day there are little mini matts beginning to form...tangles. This should get better once his adult hair is all the way in. (so they say) His top knot is very long and it all needs to be un-banded and brushed out, re banded...in several places all the way back and across his withers. It takes about an hour every day. I'll be glad when (and if) we get his grand championship. Then I'll cut it all off like Maurice's. That's easy. Bathing and blowdrying with my stand dryer takes a good hour and is done about once every 7-10 days. I shave his face, feet, bum in between professional grooming. I don't dare mess with his Continental clip. lol. This is all so ridiculous to me. But it's gotta be done for now.

He's so use to the grooming routine that he's quite well behaved, although sometimes he gets figety and moves around. When doing the rubber bands, he lies down and rests his chin and holds still the whole time...very good. But at shows, he's distracted and moves his head this way and that and I really need someone to help hold his head still. A drag...he needs more training.

Nails get Dremeled about once a week on all three dogs, ears cleaned etc. Both Poodles need their faces/eyes wiped with a wet rage or paper towel every day or two.

I do love the no shedding aspect. Although, I still get some hair on me when I brush because I wind up ripping some of it out so there are little wads here and there. But over all, I like how I can hold them and no hair gets on me or furniture. No hair on the floor anywhere except from Jose`.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
You'd think Fred... but no. He's stinky boy and his nails grow so fast. I hate his nails!!!

Bodhi... I do nothing. She gets the very very occasional bath. Which she hates.

Katem

Pig is the worst about grooming. Luckily she has the easiest coat, so bath time isn't super drawn out. She fights it like crazy though. Worse than both of the cats (who actually are kind of fine with it? they definitely aren't happy and they make a ton of noise, but they don't franticly try to escape). No biting or anything like that, but she spends the whole time trying to scramble away. Baths just really freak her out. Yet she loves the water...she's a weirdo. She's also the most difficult when it comes to nails. It's better when I have her up on a table, but she still squirms quite a bit. Her nails also grow the fastest out of all of the animals.

Badger sheds the most out of the dogs, but he generally loves being brushed and vacuumed, so that's not a problem.

Stingr69

Papillon Fan
Both of my Paps get tossed in the laundry room sink once a week. Snoop does not complain but Ditte is freaked out by a bath. The breeder didn't give her baths before we got her so she had no idea what was going on :eek:. Ditte is starting to get used to it but it still shakes her up a bit. Neither one of the dogs likes having thier nails clipped or when we trim the hair between the foot pads. They don't really "need" much brushing but Snoops ear fringes can get tangled up pretty fast. I have used a tiny bit of Cowboy Magic on the tangles and it works great. These are EASY dogs to keep up with. :)

-Mark.

Members online

No members online now.