Yet ANOTHER Orijen kibble question.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
What are all you non-Canadians, who feed the 6 fish formula, paying for your food?

I found a site online that sells it for $17-something for a 5.5 lbs. bag!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now, I REALLY want to try this formula for Ella, but by GOD, I CANNOT afford to pay THAT much.

Their store locator worked for me last night (it hadn't been, for SOME reason, working for me in the past) and my local dog food store carries it, YAY.
But they aren't open until Tuesday.

So I was just curious as to what you all pay for it.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
The fish formula is more expensive than the regular adult formula. I don't know the pricing of the smaller bags, but the 29.7lb (why didn't they just round up to 30lbs! Geesh!) is $70 here for the fish, but $61 for the adult. This is at my store (in Canada) and we're following SRP for Orijen.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
WOW.

Think they'll EVER lower their prices???
I wanted to try it for Ella because it's high protein AND low enough ash content that I feel safe feeding it.

I guess I'll just keeping adding the occasional raw meat/cooked meat and sardines to Ella's Ocean Blue for now.

Thanks for the info.:)

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
So I just checked the small bag of fish for you (I just got to work...shhhh! lol) and it's also $17 for the 5.5lb bag. The regular adult is $15. Looks like the retailer you found is following suggested retail price from the manufacturer. Most places won't stray too far below that... but good luck!

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Oh, no. I competely understand that retailers aren't going to go much lower than the suggested retail price. They have to make money, too.
I was simply wondering if Orijen was going to lower their prices anytime soon.

And thank you again for posting the info for me!:)

The old saying, you get what you pay for runs true with Orijen, IMO. You'd likely be better off going with a 15.4 lb bag - I have it here for 35.95 and sell the small bags for 15.95 so that retailer isn't far off.

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
I was simply wondering if Orijen was going to lower their prices anytime soon.
Well to answer this question for you then: most definatley not. If they're going to do anything with their prices, it will be increase them (which I hope they don't do anytime soon!!) but they're having a hard time keeping up manufacturing to meet the demands. They've grown very big, very quickly and are not lowering their quality of ingredients, which makes it very hard to keep up. We get backorders of something on nearly every order, and got letters from Champion explaining the situation.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
The old saying, you get what you pay for runs true with Orijen, IMO. You'd likely be better off going with a 15.4 lb bag - I have it here for 35.95 and sell the small bags for 15.95 so that retailer isn't far off.
Do they eat considerably LESS than they would of other dog foods???
What are the feeding guidelines of the fish formula?

I don't feed Ella crap food. She eats Timberwolf's Ocean Blue, which is a good food and she does good on it. I think I get and got what I pay for with Timberwolf, too.

Orijen's prices are outrageous regardless of HOW good the ingredients are.

Thanks for the info.

Toller_08

I'm in Canada and I pay $50 for the largest bag of Orijen, and somebody I know in the US gets it for $60. I don't think that's too bad, considering a bag of EVO here would cost me about $70. Most quality dog foods, especially if they're made in one country and are shipped to another, are going to be expensive. The US gets a lot of different foods considerably cheaper than I can get them here for seeing as they're being made in the US. The same should hold true for Orijen and Acana, since they're made in Canada. It's not the company's fault at all, in my opinion. That being said, I do understand where you're coming from and this wasn't meant to be anything against you at all. I think if she's doing fine on TWO you'd be better off keeping her on it unless you have a need to pay that much for Orijen.

As far as eating less, Dance eats about a 1/4 of a cup of Orijen daily compared to one cup of other foods I'd tried her on.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Well, the fish formula is $11-$13 more for the big bag and is 3 lbs. less than what I get with Timberwolf.
I'd switch to this food SOLELY for the higher protein AND the low ash content.

But I'm battling with myself because that just seems like such a price hike for less the amount of what I get with T.O.

I'm calling my local store tomorrow to see what she's selling it for.

Thanks again!
And I totally understand, but Vanillasugar lives in Canada and the food is priced the same where she's at as it in the U.S.

Doesn't it suck that it costs so much to feed our dogs well?

I don't know how much TWO you feed, but, a 75 lb dog would eat appx 2 cups of Orijen fish formula a day, depending, of course, on the dog's individual needs.

In all honesty, when I give it to my Newf, she only gets 2 cups but, again, I only give it once in a while.

I know this is an ooold thread, but i always have a chuckle when i hear you all complain about the prices of dog food...

Here in Australia, a 2kg (4.4lb) bag of orijen is $50, the largest is around $180. So please you guys, be thankful you get your foods so cheap!

Members online

No members online now.