would you own a dog-aggressive dog?

vanillasugar

just call me Nilly
Smkie,
you're completley contradicting yourself when you say you value all animals equally, your own and others (and that others are immoral as people for not feeling the same) then turn around and saying that any of the dogs (in this forum or otherwise) who have DA or other aggressive tendancies are worthless to you, and you want them to stay away from you at all costs.

Obviously Ella, Ozzy, etc. are NOT as valued to you as your own dogs, and you've made that perfectly clear. Stop trying to hold yourself all high and mighty by saying you value all animals lives as equal when you clearly don't, and would dispose of Pepper without even feeling BAD about it from what I've gathered, were she ever to develop DA.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Higher standards have nothing to do with it. Smkie posted that all DA dogs should be kept under lock and key, and basically said that the people who own such dogs (as well as dogs with high small animal prey drive) are inadequate trainers who don't value the lives of other dogs. And letting your dog sniff on a walk somehow means your dog humiliates you, doesn't respect you, and drags you around in public, and also means that you don't hold your dogs to a high enough standard.

If we try to defend the fact that our dogs have this drive naturally and it doesn't make them monsters, then we must obviouly enjoy owning a bunch of killers, don't give a d@mn if somebody else's pets get hurt, and think our animals are entitled to inflict harm on other people's pets.

Tell me how we're suppossed to read all that and not be the least little bit offended.
Agreed...

and you are all wrong Chloe is the bestest that ever was and will be :p

adojrts

This thread has been perfect evidence of someone who clearly doesn't understand a bunch of stuff and is very very confused, doesn't know what they are looking at and wouldn't know how to deal with it successfully......therefore condeming and being judgemental.

Doesn't understand by confusing DA with RA.
Doesn't understand by confusing RA (fear aggessive) with Alpha (by claiming that fear aggressive dogs are Alpha)
Doesn't understand by confusing Fight Drives and Prey Drives.
Doesn't understand by confusing different Prey Drives.

So until this person understands all that at least to some degree, its pointless. All valid arguements that can be back up with research, by personal experiences and successes will be disgarded, ignored and/or slammed.
And everyone agrees that everyone has the 'Right' to walk their dog etc without it being attacked. Nobody ever argued that point, not once on any level. Everyone (well almost everyone) agrees that anyone who has their DA or Fear Aggressive dog under control has the same rights.

joce

I have not read through all of this but

Yes-we have a dog aggressive dog. Luckily he is a stupid little terrier,but he still will never go to a park with lots of dogs or get to go on play dates anywhere.

There are dogs that are absolutely amazing animals but no matter what training they have had and get they will never be "safe" around other dogs. There are breeds of dogs I would not put into situations were they could be tempted.

I don't think a dog should have to get along with every dog. Things like dog parks have made da a huge issue but its really not a issue if the dog is under control in your care. I see people rehoming or putting dogs down because they don't blend into their pack-big freaking deal-maybe the dog isn't a pack dog. Ceaser milan has made people expect to much in some cases. I have people tell me they can get a pit or two and some chis and live in harmony. You might but then again you might not.

I would consider any husky possibly da to a small dog that might spark that prey drive. Does that mean they are all bad-no.

Its really a case by case thing. I have seen dogs in rescue so da I would not feel safe adopting them out because they would pull a 140lb person to get to another dog but thats not usually the case.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I think you actually all know who is the best bitch around here.

My dog swims under water. As in, dunks under and swims to the bottom to find things.

I shall pass no comment on how successful she is in that venture ;)

Not only does she swim under water, she climbs UP trees.

There is nothing this creature cannot do.

I'm just waiting for her to have my toast ready for me in the morning.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I'm just waiting for her to have my toast ready for me in the morning.

Oh, she does that too, but I bet she eats it before it makes its way to you so you can have breakfast in bed.

MAN! Is she ever going to be suprised when I bring her this toast and..............NOM NOM NOM... Whoops... Let me just put this glass and tray back before she gets up...

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Oh, she does that too, but I bet she eats it before it makes its way to you so you can have breakfast in bed.

ROFL.

Yeah..... actually, that does seem more like it.

She sleeps with me, and darts downstairs as soon as she flops out of bed (or I push her out... lazy mare). Then comes back up licking her lips and looking sheepish.

I'm SURE it can't be the cat food she's stolen ;)

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Oh well, guess I'll just have to settle for the pack up she makes me to take to work :D

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
LMAO. Yeah. I'm sure as long as she knows you're watching her, she'll butter that bread perfectly, and make sure you even get some crisps with your lunch too.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
LMAO. Yeah. I'm sure as long as she knows you're watching her, she'll butter that bread perfectly, and make sure you even get some crisps with your lunch too.
Nothing says perfection than lunch made by your favourite dog.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Yeah, Ozzy would probably try to slip me something nasty on my sammich. Like, his kibble or something, or cat food. He'd be all "What?? It tastes good to ME!" :p :D

Dekka

Just try me..
Hey Jess.. that has to be a touched up glamour shot! Chloe's tongue is sooo obviously photoshopped to make it smaller.

:p

Suzzie

Aging Canine Advocate
would you be willing to own a dog-aggressive dog?
yes. And for a long time, i thought blossom was DA - she is leash aggressive.

would you adopt a dog already known to be dog-aggressive?
she tried to attack a pug on our way out of the humane society

what would you do if your own formerly unaggressive dog became dog-aggressive?
lots of hard work and socialization!!!

what would you do if your dog attacked another dog while your dog was off-leash in a public place?
i would never, ever have a DA dog off leash in a public place. But for simplicity's sake, if a dog of mine got away and attacked another dog (highly unlikely, but we'll say it did) i would separate the dogs, pay for their pooch's medical bills, and keep a much stricter watch on the dog that attacked.

I would NOT even consider euthanizing the dog.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
LMAO DrMom!

I was about to come in here and say I had a tasteless joke.. (get it? get it??) :p

There's PREY drive, which is what Oz has when he's chasing a squirrel...

Then theres PRAY drive, which is what the squirrel is doing as he's headed for his tree... :D

Members online

No members online now.