would you own a dog-aggressive dog?

noludoru

Bored Now.
You're right, that WAS easy. :D

You can't say no to this face. Bamm says he luffs you soooooo much and wishes you came to Ohio with us Nolu. He wanted someone to cuddle with him in the back seat...
Sorry.. :( Bella has my heart.

Ozzy loves to be smooched on his speckled head. He also loves to have his ears nom nommed. Which happens frequently around here.
I just had to say, OMG, you do that too? LOL

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Prey drives equals aggression now? Wow, better let the ADA know I have an aggressive service dog and call in advance when I leave for the mall for them to evacuate each and every rabbit from each and every store.
Millie has very high prey drive for bunnies, but that doesn't make her dangerous or aggressive in the least. She's chased them out of our yard before and she's so desperate to get to them to bangs through trees, cactus, and has this high pitched screaming noise (no, not from pain, she runs like the wind all the time without making any noise and she's chased rabbits through bare land while still "screaming") to show her excitement. She used to take off chasing every bunny she saw. Now I can stop her from taking off if I'm quick enough, or call her mid-chase where she'll turn on a dime and come to me. NO, her prey drive is not gone, it's managed. Why would DA be any different? Management is likely different, but it doesn't mean a DA dog is "bad" or unmanageable. We have several contributors to this thread that prove it. Really, where is the argument?

Man, y'all can't even hang. Loki, Terra and Priest are the co-best dogs ever!

(And they've all got some degree of dog or animal aggression or reactiveness. :D)

Picklepaige

Baha, I just wanted to say I ADORE Loki. She is everything I think an APBT should be. Not those oversized mastiff mixes people dare call pit bulls.

LMAO DrMom!

There's PREY drive, which is what Oz has when he's chasing a squirrel...

Then theres PRAY drive, which is what the squirrel is doing as he's headed for his tree... :D
The squirrels around here have all become religious nuts . . . so have the groundhogs, the rabbits . . . well, you get the idea :D

Sorry.. :( Bella has my heart.
And, knowing Bella, she will have it with a side of animal crackers and a nice chianti . . . .

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
I have owned dog aggressive dogs before, as well as fostered dog aggresive dogs. Honestly, there's not much difference than owning a non-aggresive dog and it's not like the aggresion cannot be corrected with work.

Georgia was dog aggresive at a time. In weeks of strict training, she was fine.

Oliver was dog aggresive, through strict training, he is now fine.

I've owned rescues who start off dog aggresive and through training are fine after a short period of time.

IN FACT one of the things I am going to do in life is get ahold of a retired fighting pit bull and give him a chance at life as well. They only want to please their owners, and once they see fighting doesn't please YOU, it's all from there.

Tahla9999

I have owned dog aggressive dogs before, as well as fostered dog aggresive dogs. Honestly, there's not much difference than owning a non-aggresive dog and it's not like the aggresion cannot be corrected with work.

I've owned rescues who start off dog aggresive and through training are fine after a short period of time.

IN FACT one of the things I am going to do in life is get ahold of a retired fighting pit bull and give him a chance at life as well. They only want to please their owners, and once they see fighting doesn't please YOU, it's all from there.
How are the dogs like now and what training skill did you use.

Baha, I just wanted to say I ADORE Loki. She is everything I think an APBT should be. Not those oversized mastiff mixes people dare call pit bulls.
Aw, thanks! :D Yeah, that's why I starve Priest. Can't let him get over 60 pounds or I'll have to call him an American Bully. :rofl1: Just kidding, of course. (I don't starve him. I intimidate him into not growing.)

S

Squishy22

Aw, thanks! :D Yeah, that's why I starve Priest. Can't let him get over 60 pounds or I'll have to call him an American Bully. :rofl1: Just kidding, of course. (I don't starve him. I intimidate him into not growing.)
I think your APBTs are absolutely gorgeous also. If you dont mind me asking... how tall is priest and how much does he weigh? How old is he? I always wonder that every time I see a gorgeous CORRECT american pit bull terrier.

chanda

would you be willing to own a dog-aggressive dog?
- yes... specially if we dont have any kids around the house.

would you adopt a dog already known to be dog-aggressive?
yes...

what would you do if your own formerly unaggressive dog became dog-aggressive?
- ill ask some help from friends or research about what i can do to correct this behavior.

what would you do if your dog attacked another dog while your dog was off-leash in a public place?
- ill try to separate the two dogs and see if either of the dogs is injured.

Mach1girl

Ok Buddys Parents~ I just have to say this-

Your avatar, looks like the cat in my yard this morning when I let my dogs out:):):):)

Mach1girl

Dog aggression cannot be corrected, it can be worked on, and the trainer can learn how to redirect that aggression. Fact is, DA is a typical trait in the APBT, you just have to learn to control it, you cannot eliminate it.

I know, some of you are going to say "But my pitbull does great around other animals" and yes, mine to as well-after a bit of one on one introduction and such, they are fine. But I know the breed, and I know that DA is always there. But you can work with this and CONTROL it.

Members online

No members online now.