Where'd her shiny coat go??

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Or you could stop by and play with us whenever you want because we are super cool and love spreading the chaz addiction :D
It's like herpes, but more fun and with less itching. Except for maybe an itchy clicker finger from wanting to obessivly check new posts. :D :D

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
midnight is gorgeous...i wis my chis would eat raw...*grr to them for being picky* lol!

When i get my dane hell be on stricktly raw and mabe once the chis see the new guy getting all the good stuff theyll change their mind.

as for the op. def change the diet (as you are doing) and i know its difficult but try cutting back the shampooing to once a month.
a good water only bath might be enough if its just mudd...the shampoo strips out the essential oils from the coat, it can not only dull the coat but also dry out the skin.
its also that time of year when they start to look a little more shabby than usual as the winter coat comes in...
charlie (the cocker) looks all dull and fluffy right now due to the weather changes!
Hope that helps!
and itll take aproximatly 3 months to start seeing a real difference with the fish oil.

ejabarnes

clipping can cause the fur to go dull and rough on some dogs i had that problem with my spaniel so now i strip him and his fur has been fine and shiny again

Love That Collie

Owned by 2 Rough Collies
I agree after reading through this thread.
And I don't know what that vet was thinking about when she
when she compared Oatmeal Shampoo with how difficult it is to get cooked
oats out of a pot! I've used Oatmeal Shampoo for years and I have Collies, long hair and lots of it! Oatmeal is very gentle for those that might have skin problems. My two have coats that actually reflect the light and bounce like the girls hair on those shampoo commercials. :D But this has more to do with the food they eat.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Ditto on what Herschel and Love That Collie says! As for Science Diet. I could do an hour on it and often have! No way I would feed it to my dog or cats.

UPDATE: It's been about 2 months since I switched Charly over from Science Diet to Natural Balance. I was hoping her coat would return to it's original shiny self. No such luck. The strip along the top of her back (though amazingly soft) is still very dull. I've tried just about everything... maybe that's just how it is. Or maybe it'll take longer? Either way, I'm sticking with NB... it's clearly a superior food.

It's ok, I still think she's the cutest pup of all time! :)

showpug

UPDATE: It's been about 2 months since I switched Charly over from Science Diet to Natural Balance. I was hoping her coat would return to it's original shiny self. No such luck. The strip along the top of her back (though amazingly soft) is still very dull. I've tried just about everything... maybe that's just how it is. Or maybe it'll take longer? Either way, I'm sticking with NB... it's clearly a superior food.

It's ok, I still think she's the cutest pup of all time! :)
I posted this on your other thread as well, but I thought I would mention that Natural Balance is a little lower in fat and protein which can affect skin and coat quality in SOME dogs. Your dog may need a higher fat/protein food in order to restore the shine that was there before. I take it you switched from Science Diet puppy to NB? The most protein NB contails is 23% and fat is 13% the Hills puppy formula was 25.5% protein and 16.5% fat. NB is for sure a better food with more quality protein, but your pup may still need a diet that contains more fat and/or protein.

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I'd also like t add that when the coat is shaved, it does dull the coat - really the only way to keep a shiny, lustrous back on a springer is if you strip... and that's a long, arduous process.

If you're willing to learn, great! I always prefer a stripped dog to a shaved one. They look sooo much better. However... it's a lot of work, and your grooming time could easily double or triple.

LOL! I can't believe you found this post-- it sure was from a loooong time ago!

Charly has been on Natural Balance for a long time now-- and her coat is just stunning. Shiny. Thick. Everywhere she goes she gets compliments! Does one relate to the other or is it just because her hair has grown out now?? Hmmm... don't know. But I'll tell ya, I'm not about to change her food! :)

Now, I am totally motivated and tend to be-- well anal-- so taking more time with grooming (stripping vs. clipping) is not a problem. I'll probably even like it better. Although- what is stripping? How do you do it? What tools are needed and how might I learn?

I'm a very eager student! :D

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Really, the only supplies you'll need is a comfy stool to sit on as you spend hours stripping, a set of good stripping knives (check out the Mars strippers on PetEdge) and a good teacher and/or a good eye for grooming!

Basically, hand stripping involves stripping out the dead hairs using a little knife with a ling handle, with tiny little teeth on it. That's putting it simply, of course! Here's a nice website that explains how to strip a Springer:

http://www.springershowcase.com/art2no4.htm

Members online

No members online now.