When did 'adoption' become 'rescue'?

joce

I consider it rescue if the dogs next step would have been death.

If the dog was in a safe place it was adoption.

My local pound that used to put pratically everyhting to sleep would be considered rescue to me.
Any dog found on the street is considered rescue to me.

As far as adopting frm a shelter that holds the dog I consider that adoption. Same with someone that is rehoming a dog as long as they are not threatening to kill it the next day or soemthing.

my pet peeve is"I rescued her from a pet shop":eek:

mjb

People usually ask what kind of dog I have and where I got him from. He's a mix, and I tell them I got him from the pound. Adoption or rescue never come up. I did fill out papers at the pound to 'adopt' him. That was the term the shelter used.

Sheka

Charlie and Kya are both rescues. Charlie was from a puppyMill bust in Miami, and Kya was about to be euthanized in a couple of hours along with her sister (who i took and found a great home for). It doesnt really matter if you adopted or rescued, its alot better then buying from a petshop or going to a bad breeder. the only line i see is: IF U GOT IT FROM A PETSHOP OR BREEDER(GOOD OR BAD) then you bought ur dog.
IF U GOT UR DOG FROM A RESCUE,ANIMAL CONTROL, SHELTER ect.. wether it was kill or no kill, you still rescued/adopted you dog.

boxerbaby

Most the breeders I know Adopt out their animals, they charge a higher adoption fee, but they still cover altering, shots, health, ect, it's still an adoption fee. Pet stores/puppymills SELL animals to make money on them, (good) breeders don't "sell" their babies for profit. (most I know don't make money)

Shelters and rescues can be concidered either, they were rescued at one time, whether it was from a bad/abusive home or from some one turning them in instead of dumping/finding the first home that comes along. So even if the person adopts it it was still rescued at one time (I do tend to call any shelter animal I have owned adopted, but don't see that it matters that much.

Most shelters "adopt" out animals...some of them do "rescue" the animals that they offer for adoption...they might work with various municiple animal control organizations or high kill shelters like I do...most "rescue" organizations pull the animals from a life threatening situation, albeit abuse, neglect, or possible euthanasia...most of these organizations "adopt" out the animals that they rescue...I term what I do as animal rescue simply because the animals that I accept have been deemed unadoptable by various municiple animal control facilities and local shelters...even the supposed no-kill shelters...they have to have somewhere to go with the animals that they take in that do not fit into their adoption programs...however, I can see why people would think the term "rescue" is appropriate when they adopt an animal from a shelter type situation...the longer an animal stays in the system, the more likely they are going to be to become ill or exhibit behavior problems...incarceration is very hard on an animal both physically and mentally and sometimes the ones in no-kill (low-kill) shelters are the most desperate because they have been lost in the system the longest and everyone assumes they are "safe"...In essence, they are rescuing the animal...they are giving it a better life...I really don't care what you call it, if you find it in your heart to bring home an animal from a bad situation (and I do consider most shelters to be bad situations because they are not "home" enviornments), you're a hero to me.

Road dog

Here's how I word it.
I volounteer with a GSD rescue orginazation. We literally do "rescue" the dogs. Usually when they're out of time at high kill shelters where death will likely come in the next day or two. I consider that rescuing.

Other dogs have come to us as strays, some having been picked up along busy highways, from junk yards, in one case an abandoned warehouse, and we also had several dogs who lost their homes during Hurricane Katrina. My group does the rescuing.

Once we have the dogs safely in our care, we proceed to "adopt" them out to qualified homes.

~Tucker&Me~

I don't see what the big problem is...?

Either way, you are saving an animal in need.

I say my cat is a rescue/adopted pet. She was from a no-kill shelter though. I think of it as I pulled her from an unpleasant, smelly, cramped shelter where she may have spent several months.

I know dogs that have literally gone 'insane' from staying months in a shelter. Either way, you are rescueing that animal, for if not in immediate physical danger, mentally it is brutal for an animals well-being. Trust me, many a good dog has gone bonkers and developed severe issues.

I dont see what the issue is?

~Tucker

I agree with RD I got Minnie from a rescue kennels which makes her a rescue dog to me. I am not claiming to have done any great heroic rescue myself...just stating where she came from. She was born in the kennels.

Groch

Gadget Hound
I can certainly understand that people who volunteer to work in shelters probably bristle when the term rescue is used on a small young high demand breed dog while so many older less "desirable" dogs are euthanized.

However, words do have power to change behavior. I think that if publicizing the word "Rescue" causes more people to go into shelters and actually do it, instead of buying a dog, then that is the word we should use.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Of all the dogs I've had I've just always said I got him/her from _________. Saves confusion and gets down to it rather quickly.

Addoption= saving child or animal from a non kill shelter/orphanage. Rescue= saving child or animal from a kill shelter/orphanage.

My 2 dogs where destined to go to kill shelters, they came here instead. I leave it to you whether they where adopted or rescued. I didnt rescue my dogs I kept them from winding up in the pound.

What the hell is the big deal between rescue or adopted? Do you really like splitting hairs or just trying to p#iss people off for doing the right thing?

Last edited:

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I honestly don't care or think it's a big deal who says what. So what if someone says they "rescued from a no-kill shelter?" They gave a dog who needed a home a start of a new life, and that's what matters.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've never heard anyone say 'We rescued him' or 'We adopted him.' Just 'We got him from the shelter'

wehkah

My 3 Blessings!
I say I rescued Angel, bought Tweeder and we adopted Zoe from rescue.

I view rescuing a having a dog in a bad situation and you making it a better one. In Zoe's case she was brought into a kill shelter and relenquished by her owner. The GLWR took Zoe in (resuced) so that she wouldn't have the chance to be ethanized. Then we adopted her from there.

Rescue - to free or deliver from confinement, violence, danger, or evil.

Adopt - to choose or take as one's own

tempura tantrum

Shiba Inu Slave
Honestly, I don't see why this is such a big deal either.

Whether or not people call it "adopting" or "rescuing" is a nothing issue. I've never found myself incensed at the "audacity" of someone who would "dare" say they rescued their dog. Why not just be happy someone actually obtained a dog from a shelter? I dunno...this one just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I can see getting angry at people who say that they "rescued" their dog from a pet shop- but that's an entirely different story. In that case, an institution that causes harm to animals is profitting as a result (and likely feeding even MORE dogs into shelters), and yet the person STILL wants to come out of it feeling like they deserve some kind of a medal.

daaqa

lurking near the surface
i understand the difference in the terms. but, i think people started using "rescue" possibly to differentiate from all the breeders/stores/adverts using the term "adopt."

i must say, it was rather frustrating over the last few weeks to do searches for dogs available for adoption when there are so many people SELLING puppies for profit, and calling it adoption. having a breeding business and selling your dogs for hundreds/thousands is not the same as placing homeless dogs into loving families!

i'm pretty happy with the fact that we were able to provide a home for an adult dog. she's not a "rescue," but a loved dog that had to be rehomed by her weeping owners. she rescued me! i would, however, tell the average person that we adopted a spayed dog as an adult - simply to promote the fact that such a WONDERFUL dog can be found outside the breeder/petstore venues.

Honestly, I don't see why this is such a big deal either.

Whether or not people call it "adopting" or "rescuing" is a nothing issue. I've never found myself incensed at the "audacity" of someone who would "dare" say they rescued their dog. Why not just be happy someone actually obtained a dog from a shelter? I dunno...this one just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I can see getting angry at people who say that they "rescued" their dog from a pet shop- but that's an entirely different story. In that case, an institution that causes harm to animals is profitting as a result (and likely feeding even MORE dogs into shelters), and yet the person STILL wants to come out of it feeling like they deserve some kind of a medal.
Ditto!
Even if a dog was adopted from a no kill shelter, it can still be considered a rescue considering the dog was probably kept in a cage and living on a concrete floor. To me, that's rescuing a dog from having to live uncomfortably. If someone removes a dog from a shelter (kill or no kill) and want to consider it rescuing, I see nothing wrong with that.

Brattina88

I've never really paid attention to how I word it.

I think I usually say that I "adopted Missy from the pound." I do stress that, because most people ask me what lines she is from - I want people to know that you can get amazing dogs from pounds and shelters. It was a kill-pound, but they had an excellent spay/neuter program after you adopt. I wish the local dog pound would take lessons from them!

I know I say "rescue" in Charlie's case, because I took him directly from his former owner due to the living conditions . . .
When I self-foster I usually say rescue
When the rescue places a dog with me to foster I usually say... foster, lol
Since I posted this waaay back in '06 (lol) I just wanted to add one thing:

I never really pay attention to how it is worded, really.

The only thing that irritates me is someone who buys a dog from a Pet Store *cough* puppymills *cough* and says they adopted them... :rolleyes:

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Addoption= saving child or animal from a non kill shelter/orphanage. Rescue= saving child or animal from a kill shelter/orphanage.

My 2 dogs where destined to go to kill shelters, they came here instead. I leave it to you whether they where adopted or rescued. I didnt rescue my dogs I kept them from winding up in the pound.
Ditto ^^

Members online

No members online now.