What would be an example of an unorganized religion?

GlassOnion

Thanks, and Gig 'em.
I was reading an article about Sikhism and it says that Sikh's are the fifth largest organized religion in the world.

But what's an organized religion? What do Sikhism and Christianity have in common that make them organized?

Better question: what's the alternative? What's an unorganized religion? Is it one where they're not sure what they're wishing for? Where they don't congregate? Where no files are kept (like the LDS genealogy archives) and the tax forms are in dissaray? Where people just come and go as they please?

What would be an example of such? I'd say things like Sadism and Druids and what not but to my knowledge they all have some 'code' they follow (like sacrifice blood to Satan and worship the earth) so I'd figure that'd be some form of organization there.

So what is an unorganized religion?

Boemy

I know someone who believes in the ancient Egyptian gods . . . That, I think, would be an example of "unorganized" religion . . . Religions that people don't gather to talk about/worship and that don't actively spread. "Back in the day" the Egyptian gods would have been an organized religion, which central religious figures (priests and the pharoh), but now it's more of an individual thing.

Well, to answer that question, you would have to first define "religion".

This is the Wikipedia definition:
A religion is a set of stories, symbols, beliefs and practices that give meaning to the experiences of life. It may be expressed through prayer, ritual, meditation, music and art, among other things. It may focus on specific supernatural, metaphysical, and moral claims about reality (the cosmos, and human nature) which may yield a set of religious laws, ethics, and a particular lifestyle. Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and religious experience
With a definition like that, "unorganized" religion can be many things. Yoga/meditation, the use of psychoactive drugs like LSD in order to obtain "enlightenment", people who claim to be spiritual but do not claim a specific religion, etc.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
That's pretty much right. Organized religions have doctrine, hierarchy, places of worship, a set membership, clergy, etc. Unorganized religions are missing some or all of those things. Some forms of Druidism are mostly organized, but most aren't. Most of the new age religions, most tribal religions, etc don't count as organized. I'm not sure Satanism deserves to be dignified as a religion, but if you go that way, it would not be organized, despite some pathetic attempts to do so.

My fiance is opposed to organized religion: some people find it to be innately coercive. So you'll occasionally find Christians, Muslims, etc who will tell you that they believe in that religion, but don't belong to a religious organization . . . they are, in a sense, unorganized members of their faith, relying primarily on scripture.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Two examples of unorganized religion~

http://www.helium.com/items/1246938-is-wicca-a-religionenosoft.com/

Although Wicca is recognized as a religion in many countries, it does not have the qualities of the better known organized religions. The main difference is that Wicca is the most unorganized religion you will ever find. There is no holy book, no permanent building to meet in, no Witch Pope and there are no punishments for anyone who doesn't want to be Wiccan anymore.

For example, it's very difficult for non-Wiccans to figure out what an "average" Wiccan is like because an average Wiccan doesn't exist. You will find Wiccans who are monotheistic, polytheistic and atheistic. You will find Wiccans who are pro abortion and those that are against abortion. You will find foxhunting Wiccans and Wiccans demonstrating against foxhunting Wiccans.

http://www.sangharakshita.org/e-functions.html

Buddhism is on the whole rather an unorganized religion. It has no official head, no universally accepted hierarchy, very few powerful instruments of propaganda, and hardly any trained workers.

Members online