What kind of doggy playmate is best for my dog?

I have a scottiepoo. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is a Scottish terrier/poodle mix. He is absolutely a huge furry ball of hyper ness and very playful. His name is Gunner and he weighs about 35/40 pounds and is a little over a year old. He is an outside dog and currently is in a very large fence with two other dogs. Coming up very soon though, I will be moving out into my own home and gunner comes with, of course. He will still be in a very large fenced area, but as of right now we have no other dog to keep him company. I have searched and searched on what kind of doggy playmate would be right for my dog and haven't found anything. I am open to as many suggestions as y'all can give me. Thanks!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Gunner would probably LOVE to come inside with his family, to stay warm for the winter, cuddle, play and bond with you... except when you're outside I'm sure he would love to join you there too! What's the point in having dogs who live a life of isolation outside? They're so much more sweet and entertaining hanging out with you in the house. "Scottiepoos" really aren't intended to be outside dogs. They are companion, not working/guarding/livestock/sled dogs. Their purpose is footwarming.

The saying is never get a dog FOR your dog. Get a dog for YOU. I'd check out Petfinder for your local shelter, and get a very friendly mutt of the same size and temperament/energy level of your dog. But really I think Gunner would enjoy spending quality time with his humans more than anything. Just my opinion.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I second what was said above - *YOU* are the best playmate for your dog! Now would be a great time to start training behaviors you'll want after your move (crate manners, stays, building a good chew toy habit, etc.) and the training will help both of you bond even stronger!

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
Gunner would probably LOVE to come inside with his family, to stay warm for the winter, cuddle, play and bond with you... except when you're outside I'm sure he would love to join you there too! What's the point in having dogs who live a life of isolation outside? They're so much more sweet and entertaining hanging out with you in the house. "Scottiepoos" really aren't intended to be outside dogs. They are companion, not working/guarding/livestock/sled dogs. Their purpose is footwarming.

The saying is never get a dog FOR your dog. Get a dog for YOU. I'd check out Petfinder for your local shelter, and get a very friendly mutt of the same size and temperament/energy level of your dog. But really I think Gunner would enjoy spending quality time with his humans more than anything. Just my opinion.
Nailed it :cool:

noludoru

Bored Now.
What Erika said. That's way too small of a dog to leave outside, and even if he was bigger, it's a really awful way for a dog to live. I rescued my dog from people who had him on a chain 24/7 - he's so much happier indoors. He doesn't bark constantly out of boredom and loneliness, and when I leave he's snuggled up on my bed. He enjoys going outside, but when given the choice with a dog-door, he's inside 90% of the day.

Give your dog that choice in the new place. Take him inside, give him a bath, let him experience spending his time with you, sleeping on warm couches and blankets... Then install a dog door and give him the choice.

I realize that I'm his best playmate and I love the outdoors so I'm constantly with him. He loves his mommy. We actually have tried the inside thing and he just isnt a big fan. He wanted right back out. We trained him into being an inside for two weeks and he just wasnt having it. As soon as I opened the door everyday to let him out to potty, he darted out and wanted back in the fence with his doggy friends. I also dont mind that he is a little on the larger side, thats not what is keeping him from inside the house. I mean, I want a great dane for an inside dog..so that isnt the problem. I would love for him to be an inside dog, but Gunner doesnt like it. When he was a puppy he grew up inside which made us think we wouldnt have a problem with not wanting to be in here, but obviously it was. Thanks for yalls opinions, but I wasnt expecting to get trampled with a bunch of "bring your dog inside" comments. I want whats best for my dog and I give him whatever he wants, just like I'm sure yall are with your babies. So I've tried everything, I promise. Just wasnt sure if there was a certain breed or crossbreed that would be better for my Gunner.

What Erika said. That's way too small of a dog to leave outside, and even if he was bigger, it's a really awful way for a dog to live. I rescued my dog from people who had him on a chain 24/7 - he's so much happier indoors. He doesn't bark constantly out of boredom and loneliness, and when I leave he's snuggled up on my bed. He enjoys going outside, but when given the choice with a dog-door, he's inside 90% of the day.

Give your dog that choice in the new place. Take him inside, give him a bath, let him experience spending his time with you, sleeping on warm couches and blankets... Then install a dog door and give him the choice.
He has never been on a chain. He is in a fence that is almost two acres and loves it. He wouldn't have any other way. He gets baths (hates them by the way lol) probably more than a dog should but he loves red mud haha.

I second what was said above - *YOU* are the best playmate for your dog! Now would be a great time to start training behaviors you'll want after your move (crate manners, stays, building a good chew toy habit, etc.) and the training will help both of you bond even stronger!
He loves his mommy! We play at least three if not four times a day. We have tried training thanks for opinion though!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I want whats best for my dog and I give him whatever he wants, just like I'm sure yall are with your babies.
No, I don't give my dogs whatever they want, since sometimes they want things that aren't good for them. Payton wants to eat dog food until he gets violently ill all over my house. I don't let him do that. Auggie wants to eat poisonous mushrooms. I don't let him do that. Both boys wanted to get out of the fence and try to fight with an opossum on the other side of the fence. I didn't let them do that. Just because a dog wants something doesn't mean it's in the dog's best interests, or your best interests, to give that to them. A lot like people, actually. People often want things that aren't very good for them.

Gunner is happy to go outside and play with the other dogs, but that doesn't mean he doesn't want to be inside. Most dogs are always happy to immediately run up to other dogs (especially dogs they know) and play with them. It just means he's always excited to play with his friends. When you move and there are no longer other dogs outside to play with, what will he do then? He will probably still be quite happy to run outside to pee - mine always are - but that doesn't mean they would rather stay out there all the time all by themselves.
Even if Gunner is happier to be an outside dog than an inside dog, what you're asking for is to get another dog and make THAT one be an outside dog, too. How will you know if that dog is going to prefer to be an outside dog? What if it prefers to be an inside dog? Do you intend to try to find out? And what happens if you find out your new dog prefers to be inside but Gunner prefers to be outside?

Do his "doggy friends" live outside? Because I bet if they were inside he wouldn't just hang out in the yard alone, no matter how big it is. I know I put my boys out they will happily stay out there all freaking day, but if I leave just one of them outside the one outside barks to come in.

Skits

I'd move out, see if Gunner wants to stay inside once he doesn't have doggie friends at the new place, before getting another dog. Maybe he'll like being an indoor dog! I can't imagine my dogs living outside. Sometimes my dogs will stay out for an hour or two and enjoy playing but as soon as one wants to come in, so does the other, like mentioned above. One won't even go out if the other stays inside. A single indoor dog will love all the attention to themselves, I'm sure Gunner would be beyond happy inside with his mom. :D

Members online