What are you working on?

Sekah

The Monster.
I know I should be working on roll over or something, as per the trick of the week, but I got bored/frustrated and decided to play at something else! :p Foot stalls and rebounds!

I've always thought that Cohen's relatively long back and comparatively short legs have made hind end precision tough for her. She does decently well, but could use improvement.

This is a quick video of our first session with a prop to help with foot stall & foot rebound training. I'd found that Cohen wasn't hitting solidly with her back feet on rebounds so I opted to give this a try. She also wasn't confident in her ability to sit/stand on my feet during a stall and normally opted to lay down and sprawl. Our first session with the prop has yielded some promising results.

Hard cover large book + durable sweatshirt = results!

[YOUTUBE]oQoWgYMtWzQ[/YOUTUBE]

Oh, also, here's a photo of her hug-da-bunny trick. :3

Note the dirty paws. She'd just come in from running around in the mud.

Last edited:

krissy

Ah, that's so clever with the book! You should just use one all the time. Can't be fun to have those nails dig into flesh! You could rig it up like a shield with a shoulder strap and everything! ;)

Here's what Summit and I are working on right now. I'm saving money by taking a break from agility classes with him for a bit. And this is way easier on his joints but still fun. He's not getting any younger! Thinking we'll slowly work on some heelwork moves. First off... leg weaves. This is a feat for a dog that can just barely fit under me. I love how happy and excited he is about this. Not always a good thing though. I'm surprised I don't have a black eye by now. Anyway, this is after only a few short sessions. Pretty happy with how he's doing.

[YOUTUBE]TWzw1Hv9F2U[/YOUTUBE]

Sekah

The Monster.
Still working on a foot rebound. We're getting there, but I'm having a tough time getting her turning tight. I feel like it's the walls, if anything, which keep her remotely tight and when I try it outside it falls apart. It's early yet, but would love to hear some pointers.

[YOUTUBE]oKWwca4ot-0[/YOUTUBE]

E: I guess treat placement/timing would be a big factor here. It's just a bit tricky to get them proper when I'm more concerned about holding myself up. :p

Julee

UNSTOPPABLE
Cohen is freaking awesome.

Em and I are working on a lot right now! This week has been:
Spin
Get 'em (speak)
Fixing our horrible heel position
and we've started rebounds!

So I am completely tickled.

I've been working on a Foot Stall for a good while on and off but I have a seriously short attention span and get distracted, don't work on it and come back months later. Pair that with a huge distaste for wearing shoes (And you kinda need them for this trick...) it's been a long time coming.

Finally cracked down and started working on it again with the main focus being Traveler controlling himself and not just launching haphazardly at the direction of my feet and seeing how many of my body parts he can take out at the same time. Anyway! We've got it! Still needs a lot of fine tuning and work but the idea is there and he's hitting it more times than not!

[YOUTUBE]aquud6hfQHk[/YOUTUBE]

SaraB

Still working on a foot rebound. We're getting there, but I'm having a tough time getting her turning tight. I feel like it's the walls, if anything, which keep her remotely tight and when I try it outside it falls apart. It's early yet, but would love to hear some pointers.

[YOUTUBE]oKWwca4ot-0[/YOUTUBE]

E: I guess treat placement/timing would be a big factor here. It's just a bit tricky to get them proper when I'm more concerned about holding myself up. :p
Zuma goes ridiculously wide with this one too. I've started to reward from my hand with her and it's tightened up a lot.

AliciaD

On second thought...
Right now me and Cameron are working on nudging me with her nose. I'm hoping to use this in a larger task with her hearing my med alarm, coming to me, and then nudging me with her nose as an added reminder for me to take my meds. (any tips welcome!)

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Siri is working on agility things as well as stimulus control. With less outside time we are working on sharpening older tricks and she just learned scoot (hop backwards in a playbow position, adorable), spins, and shake.

Frodo right now is working on a retrieve. We'll get more heavily back into rally work when I think his hips are feeling better, I worry about all the sits/downs when he is ouchie.

krissy

So I am completely tickled.

I've been working on a Foot Stall for a good while on and off but I have a seriously short attention span and get distracted, don't work on it and come back months later. Pair that with a huge distaste for wearing shoes (And you kinda need them for this trick...) it's been a long time coming.

Finally cracked down and started working on it again with the main focus being Traveler controlling himself and not just launching haphazardly at the direction of my feet and seeing how many of my body parts he can take out at the same time. Anyway! We've got it! Still needs a lot of fine tuning and work but the idea is there and he's hitting it more times than not!
Wicked! He'd wobble around less up there if he stopped wagging his tail so much! :rofl1:

I'm down to my barefoot running shoes for the Footstall! From boots, to hiking boots to barefoot running shoes (Merrels, not vibrams...because that totally matters)! They are much more flexible and much smaller (size 7 shoe) but Traveler is sticking it almost every time.

And Didgie's finally graduated from using a stool to from the floor. She's getting it about half the time. Boy though does she feel nice up there after Traveler. Less than 10 lb's difference but I can feel it, that's for sure.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Nail trimming! Super happy that we are getting somewhere with it. Just finished clipping all four feet and did not even get mouthed once. This is only impressive if you know that when we started, Feist turned into a whirling ball of hate for nail clippings. She was totally relaxed and stress free for this session today. Sooo happy. :)

Toller_08

Journey and I are trying and failing at the hug trick from last week haha. It's not her fault, it's definitely mine. So instead we decided to go for an easier trick and take a bit of a break. We only started learning this tonight so she doesn't know it reliably yet, but it didn't take her long to catch on. I had a better video with a much wigglier Journey but I can't get it to upload for some reason. But she's still kind of cute and just super serious and concentrated in this one lol.

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=t-Dyng6S_oQ[/YOUTUBE]

DJEtzel

Normal puppy stuff, with emphasis on crate training and restraint. He does not like to be restrained. :rolleyes:

Recon's working on agility stuff, getting over some skin problems, and not jumping on house guests. :rolleyes:

Rolling my eyes all over the place at these dogs.

Toller_08

I've had such trouble with that one. How are you teaching it? Journ looks adorable.
Thanks! I've read online that sometimes people will put tape on the end of the dog's nose to get them to paw their face, but I just ruffled her nose hair a bit to get her to paw at her face the first couple of times (since it's not really a behaviour that I could just capture since she doesn't do it often on her own), clicked/treated, and then she just offered it continuously on her own. Helps that she is a very paw oriented dog I think. Most tricks involved her paws are pretty easy to teach her (except hug haha).

Here's another one in the process of learning. I'd rather her do it sitting all the time eventually, but laying down is cute too!

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=i_Nd6yNMmkQ[/YOUTUBE]

JacksonsMom

Journey is adorable! Yeah I used the tape for that trick. I'm trying to work on getting him to hold it longer though. He doesn't hold the 'cover' long enough. The laying down is actually super cute.

Sekah

The Monster.
Thanks! I've read online that sometimes people will put tape on the end of the dog's nose to get them to paw their face, but I just ruffled her nose hair a bit to get her to paw at her face the first couple of times (since it's not really a behaviour that I could just capture since she doesn't do it often on her own), clicked/treated, and then she just offered it continuously on her own. Helps that she is a very paw oriented dog I think. Most tricks involved her paws are pretty easy to teach her (except hug haha).

Here's another one in the process of learning. I'd rather her do it sitting all the time eventually, but laying down is cute too!

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=i_Nd6yNMmkQ[/YOUTUBE]
She's picked up on that so quickly! I've been trying to work this one with Cohen but can't get past needing the Post-It Note prop. Will keep at it!

MrsBoats

Legion of Zoom Den Mother
Let's see...Lars right now is really working on Utility Obedience. My goal is to start showing him in it this spring. We are really starting to get it...I have to clean up some of my own handling but he's starting to understand what his job is.

Here's some stuff from yesterday like signal exercise, go outs, and directed jumping:

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=6HGNGYKod40[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]watch?v=BmH62Oe14A8[/YOUTUBE]

Lars' Agility stuff...we're just maintaining skills right now. I'm trying to step outside of my handling comfort zone a little bit and I switched instructors this winter.

Ocean who I don't have any edited video of at the moment is working on novice obedience stuff and rally excellent stuff. I have to start working and heeling him in areas of different distractions and that are just different than our backyard or the two training places we do run thrus at. He loses some confidence and worries a bit in new places. I think that will change as he continues to grow up and mature.

In agility, he's currently showing in novice levels and we just need to keep getting mileage and building the handling toolbox that he understands. I have to babysit some obstacles with my handling because sometimes, if I have to move too far away from a jump he will run by it despite me supporting that jump. It's baby dog stuff and I think he's got another 1 or even 2 years before he really understands what my handling cues mean.

Members online

No members online now.