What are some weird dog-related things you've heard from other people/forums?

I was just thinking about some weird things I've heard being spouted as truth in other places... For example:

There's a forum I frequent that tells people that if they're not willing to exercise their dog at least 2 hours a day (every. single. day.), no matter the breed, then they shouldn't get a dog. These people brag about pulling themselves out of bed when they're sick to take their dogs on a 2 hour walk and I'm like... Are they actually doing this? Or are they just exaggerating and making dog ownership some weird novelty. I mean, I'm all for exercise but that seems excessive imo.

What are some weird pieces of advice you've heard?

Maxy24

Last night my mom told me that she was once informed that only purebred dogs lay down on their bellies with their back legs splayed out (frog style).

milos_mommy

Not really on forums, but I hear weird stuff IRL...mainly dominance theory stuff (dogs hold their leash in their mouth to assert dominance), raw diet will turn a dog aggressive, etc. Always eat meals before your dog, etc.

And a lot of stuff like "he peed on my bed because he was mad I left him alone" or he started having accidents because he's jealous of the new baby, etc.

I was just thinking about some weird things I've heard being spouted as truth in other places... For example:

There's a forum I frequent that tells people that if they're not willing to exercise their dog at least 2 hours a day (every. single. day.), no matter the breed, then they shouldn't get a dog. These people brag about pulling themselves out of bed when they're sick to take their dogs on a 2 hour walk and I'm like... Are they actually doing this? Or are they just exaggerating and making dog ownership some weird novelty. I mean, I'm all for exercise but that seems excessive imo.

What are some weird pieces of advice you've heard?
I've too heard that you *must* exercise your dog a million hours a day or else it will become an uncontrollable beast.
Vets only want your $$$ or are scams.
Dog only need their puppy shots.
Anything not *organic* will give your dog cancer/kill it.
Pit Bulls are ticking time bombs.

I am new to this dog forum thing - so far I have only joined one other forum.

However many moons ago when our then Dobie was about a year old I was told by a family member that I had to get rid of the dog our it would eat the baby.

It was bizarre on so many levels. The strangest part of it was I was not pregnant, have never been pregnant, and do not intend on having kids.

Also our Dobie was fantastic with kids. I seriously believe he would have gnawed his own leg off verses biting a child.

Piper

Members online