We need homes

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I want to remind everyone that it was ME who took in the rescued pups
And that means it is YOU who is responsible for them. By removing them from their littermates when they haven't yet developed sufficient social skills, by placing them before being certain they are healthy, by giving them to the first people who ask for a pup with no contract and no references, you are setting them up for failure.

Taking in a litter of puppies is a commitment. If you're not prepared to give them what they need, then you shouldn't take them in the first place. As dark child pointed out, most rescues will take puppies. If they are too much work for you at this time, then put them in the hands of another rescue so that the puppies can get what they need.

Set them up ~ the puppies and the new owners ~ to succeed.

If there are people who think I'm doing it all wrong, by all means go out there and do a better job at it.
Yea, see I'm doing a better job of it by not doing it. I know that between the dynamics of the dogs I have now and the available time I have now and the need to get a job - which will make me less available, and my financial state, I couldn't take in a dog. If a dog truly needed rescuing, I would be happy to call others who have the resources to do so. I would love to rescue in the future, I have rescued in the past, but currently it simply isn't an option. It's not always easy to walk past a dog who is obviously in need of a home or turn my back on a litter of pups that nobody wants, but knowing that I can't provide what they need at this time is just as important.

darkchild16

We are Home.
And that means it is YOU who is responsible for them. By removing them from their littermates when they haven't yet developed sufficient social skills, by placing them before being certain they are healthy, by giving them to the first people who ask for a pup with no contract and no references, you are setting them up for failure.
Taking in a litter of puppies is a commitment. If you're not prepared to give them what they need, then you shouldn't take them in the first place. As dark child pointed out, most rescues will take puppies. If they are too much work for you at this time, then put them in the hands of another rescue so that the puppies can get what they need.

Set them up ~ the puppies and the new owners ~ to succeed.

Yea, see I'm doing a better job of it by not doing it. I know that between the dynamics of the dogs I have now and the available time I have now and the need to get a job - which will make me less available, and my financial state, I couldn't take in a dog. If a dog truly needed rescuing, I would be happy to call others who have the resources to do so. I would love to rescue in the future, I have rescued in the past, but currently it simply isn't an option. It's not always easy to walk past a dog who is obviously in need of a home or turn my back on a litter of pups that nobody wants, but knowing that I can't provide what they need at this time is just as important.
:hail: bears repeating

and some e-vets will even take in a litter then give them to a rescue they work with when the rescue opens, (thats how we got a few litters at the rescue)

I think I have found the all time winner of the most idiotic quote. :rofl1:
I'll have to remember this one!
I dont think you get what it means.

My german shepherd kills cats. I COULD go rescue a cat right now. I have a cat tower, a litter box, cat toys, and everything I would need. I could go take in a litter of cats to rehome.

But what good will it do if my dog kills them?

Sometimes, you really are better off walking away knowing you would do more harm than good if you didn't.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I think I have found the all time winner of the most idiotic quote. :rofl1:
I'll have to remember this one!

ACTUALLY that Quote ALONE is worth more then you have ever said. Some people do MORE by not doing something. Like there is a Pit Bull at the rescue I work for. Shes a wonderful dog but adopting her would be a disservice to HER. She would not do well in this house with all these dogs. Do I have the knowledge YES he money I dont and the time I do but I help her MORE by NOT taking her and just helping monitor the applications that come through.

I still don't see where you have mentioned giving these puppies vaccinations before giving them away to people.

They are now eating puppy chow
I understand your situation, any way you can buy a higher quality food?

B

BigDogs

There is a saying, "The more people there are at any given place, the less likely it is that anyone will do anything."

Now, I wouldn't take on a project such as rewiring my house by myself, or rebuilding the engine of my truck by myself, or some other complicated project. But I certainly wouldn't stand around and degrade the person who chooses to do so. I'd probably be more likely to ask if there was something I could do to help.

R

RedyreRottweilers

It really is important that puppies stay together for at LEAST 7 weeks, and that they start out with their new owners parasite free with at least one vaccine. The staying with the littermates is very important to the puppies reaching their full potential. Keeping the puppies for at least 7 days is also important to make sure they do not have a communicable disease such as Parvo or Distemper incubating. 14 days is even better.

And please, alter it however you like, but please sell these puppies with a contract requiring their spay/neuter.

It really is important that puppies stay together for at LEAST 7 weeks, and that they start out with their new owners parasite free with at least one vaccine. The staying with the littermates is very important to the puppies reaching their full potential. Keeping the puppies for at least 7 days is also important to make sure they do not have a communicable disease such as Parvo or Distemper incubating. 14 days is even better.
I have been asking if they are being vaccinated for like, 5-6 posts now. No answers. I take that as a no. And I have been saying she needs to keep them longer, or else she could be sending sick puppies to new homes.

All comes off very irresponsible to me. A rescue who can do it right needs to be found. And yes, its good that these puppies were saved. But they are being given away, too young, without any form of a health check, no vaccinations, to people who don't even have to spay and neuter them. That is irresponsible, and not doing anything good.

darkchild16

We are Home.
I have been asking if they are being vaccinated for like, 5-6 posts now. No answers. I take that as a no. And I have been saying she needs to keep them longer, or else she could be sending sick puppies to new homes.

All comes off very irresponsible to me. A rescue who can do it right needs to be found. And yes, its good that these puppies were saved. But they are being given away, too young, without any form of a health check, no vaccinations, to people who don't even have to spay and neuter them. That is irresponsible, and not doing anything good.
exactly. i know our rescue would take them in no questions asked and get them utd on everything checked on everything and great homes :(

There is a saying, "The more people there are at any given place, the less likely it is that anyone will do anything."

Now, I wouldn't take on a project such as rewiring my house by myself, or rebuilding the engine of my truck by myself, or some other complicated project. But I certainly wouldn't stand around and degrade the person who chooses to do so. I'd probably be more likely to ask if there was something I could do to help.
You wouldnt CHOOSE to have your house NEEDING to be rewired.

There is a difference between getting in over your head unexpectedly and CHOOSING to do something in a manner that could put the lives of the dogs at risk.

I think when they stated.. "im not putting any money into these dogs" it was meant to tell us NO they are not UTD on shots and NO they will not be kept for any length of time because that costs money for food, etc.

This whole, "Im a wonderful rescue person" is a joke.

I think when they stated.. "im not putting any money into these dogs" it was meant to tell us NO they are not UTD on shots and NO they will not be kept for any length of time because that costs money for food, etc.

This whole, "Im a wonderful rescue person" is a joke.
COMPLETELY agree! If you don't want to spend money on them, or keep them at your house for the RIGHT amount of time, then do NOT take them in. And do NOT consider yourself a rescue, because you are not. The way these puppies are being handed off, and not health checked or vaccinated, or nothing...Its the same thing a byb does.

B

BigDogs

Really happy to hear it. Around here there aren't any mixed breed rescues. None, nada. There are only a few area rescues for purebred dogs.

There are only shelters, and almost all of them are overcrowed kill shelters, each of them are different. Some speuter all animals before adoption, some require the adopted animal to be speutered within a specified period of time, and some don't require it at all. Some vaccinate the animal at the time of adoption, others don't. They vary as to adoption fees, if any.
Some require that every animal owned by the adoptee is already speutered, utd on vaccines and will contact the adoptee's veterinarian before allowing the adoption. These kind also usually have a large number of paid staff, require fenced in yards, that all members of the family come into the shelter to meet the pet, and often do pre-adoption home visits. These are the shelters who are very high on the numbers of dogs euthanized list.

It's a lot of personal choice where people adopt. Does the person want to spend the money up front for speutering and vaccinations? Would the person prefer to get the animal and make 'installments' on the payments of necessary things? Does the person enjoy the feeling of saving an animal from almost certain death, or does the person just want the dog?

B

bjdobson

She could have just left them in the snow to die. Maybe everyone would be happier then???

All she has to do is tell the new owners EXACTLY the circumstances of these puppies and the new owners can go to their vet, get deworming and vaccination, and off you go.

A BYB would be charging money for these puppies so, no, she's not like a BYB.

There's obviously nothing she can do right, is there? :rolleyes:

darkchild16

We are Home.
ummmmm i worked for a APBT rescue and you know what in cases like that we took the pups ANYWAY! and what about the vet? why not do it RIGHT since you took the responsibility. Or you just going to leave the mess for people like me to clean up who spend all their free time helping in rescue and taking care of these dogs right because people like YOU couldnt

darkchild16

We are Home.
She could have just left them in the snow to die. Maybe everyone would be happier then???

All she has to do is tell the new owners EXACTLY the circumstances of these puppies and the new owners can go to their vet, get deworming and vaccination, and off you go.

A BYB would be charging money for these puppies so, no, she's not like a BYB.

There's obviously nothing she can do right, is there? :rolleyes:

yes there is DO IT RIGHT BY THE PUPS!!! Giving them away early is something a vet CANT fix.

Members online

No members online now.