URGENT HELP NEEDED!

tacodog12

So I just got a new dog, Honey, and she is the most timid thing. She did really well with our one dog, Puna, but our older dogs, Thumper and Magic growl at her a lot. It wasnʻt an issue because she never retaliated. Sheʻs super clumsy and steps on the older dogs a lot. They snap and growl but usually she just moves away. But, today I was on my computer and I heard screaming from the dogs, and I saw Honey and Magic in a fight. She was on top of him, biting him. Then, I got up and started yelling at her, I didnʻt know what else to do! Then, Puna comes up behind me and bites me. So I turn around to look at him, because I thought he was confused and thought I was a dog. He stops, so I turn back to the fight and am getting closer to Honey and Magic, yelling still, and Puna bites me AGAIN! Then I just shake him off because poor Magic is being bitten, and Puna bites me A THIRD TIME. It felt like he was biting, and then pulling me. I wonder if he was reacting to my energy or trying to pull me away from the fight? Either way, I broke it up, and Iʻm assuming Magic bit Honey when she got too close, and maybe actually hurt her so I think that mustʻve started it. Sheʻs shown no aggression up to that point. Please help!!!!!

blussier

When there are more than two dogs in a home, the pack must become balanced. It is important that each member or the pack, you are one, establish their place in the pack. You must be the lead. Take them for walks together, and spend time with them as a pack so that they are regularly reminded that you are alpha. It seems that Honey is not picking up on the cues that Puna, Magic and Thumper are giving. You can help Honey remember by using a lead when you are not able to be with the whole pack. When introducing a new member to my pack, they spend much of the first weeks on a leash that is attached to me. Hope this helps

Honey needs help with her confidence. The other dogs are more likely to go after her if they see her as weak. This is especially true when she does something they consider threatening, like dipping into their food dish or sniffing one of their toys. The other dog, Puna, would appear to be trying to protect her 'friend' Honey from you. Puna likely thinks you are attacking Honey, not rescuing her. Dogs don't always know the difference. Yelling is not a good idea, either, because it is seen by dogs as barking and when there is a fight, that barking amplifies the aggression. It's best to talk sternly using a solid, demanding voice while you attempt to separate them.

Try working with Honey on building that confidence.

I just adopted a new dog, Sadie, after my wonderful love, Tyler, died last June. She is a border collie mix, I think. When she arrived here, she squirreled herself away in cupboards, behind furniture, under tables, etc. in absolute fear. This continued for about a month or so before she felt brave and confortable enough to come out into the open and sleep on the living room carpet. As well, she was quick to bite, growled when I touched her lover back or tried to gently move her. She clearly needed help with her confidence.

For the next several months, I spent a lot of time petting her gently, talking to her in a calm, quiet voice, telling her she's a good dog. Gradually, I started petting her down her back, rubbing her back legs, etc. Wiping her dirty feet was another challenge. I did quick wipes at first with her front feet. In subsequent days, I wiped all four feet and spent long time on it. Now, she doesn't bite or run away when I clean her feet, although she still doesn't like it.

Using this gentle approach, and sometimes letting her know who's boss, has worked but it did take about 6 months or more. She hasn't hidden since that first month, except during thunderstorms or fireworks. I don't think she'll ever get over that fear.

One thing to watch, however. Don't baby her or she'll see that as a sign of weakness on your part and it could go against you in future.

TheDeena

Passionate About My Animals
So I just got a new dog, Honey, and she is the most timid thing. She did really well with our one dog, Puna, but our older dogs, Thumper and Magic growl at her a lot. It wasnʻt an issue because she never retaliated. Sheʻs super clumsy and steps on the older dogs a lot. They snap and growl but usually she just moves away. But, today I was on my computer and I heard screaming from the dogs, and I saw Honey and Magic in a fight. She was on top of him, biting him. Then, I got up and started yelling at her, I didnʻt know what else to do! Then, Puna comes up behind me and bites me. So I turn around to look at him, because I thought he was confused and thought I was a dog. He stops, so I turn back to the fight and am getting closer to Honey and Magic, yelling still, and Puna bites me AGAIN! Then I just shake him off because poor Magic is being bitten, and Puna bites me A THIRD TIME. It felt like he was biting, and then pulling me. I wonder if he was reacting to my energy or trying to pull me away from the fight? Either way, I broke it up, and Iʻm assuming Magic bit Honey when she got too close, and maybe actually hurt her so I think that mustʻve started it. Sheʻs shown no aggression up to that point. Please help!!!!!
Wow, that must of been a terrifying event for your to go through. I recently brought a new puppy into the house with my older dog who is 10 years old. It was a horrible first 3 weeks. They have for the most part even themselves out. The older dog will growl at the younger puppy when he has had enough to try to tell her to lay off. When that kind of behavior occurs I usually get involved and make sure the puppy is respecting the older dog’s wishes. My older dog is the kind of dog (he is poodle/Bichon) who gets worked up with stress very easy (i.e., ups guy comes to the door and he goes insane and will in turn try to snap at the younger dog or if I was in his way probably try to snap at me). Point is, this dog that bit you three times I think is reacting to the stress he is under with other animals and your legs happen to be there.
I would suggest trying to keep a better eye and keep him with limited exposure to other dogs if that is at all possible. The only other option of course is training by a super trainer who comes to your house, however, i truly do believe that some animals are just wired a certain way and I think it is really difficult to change that. Let me know how it goes and good luck and hope your leg is ok!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.