Urgent!! Adopt a Free Shelter Dog or Cat!!!

B

BigDogs

Now....everyone. Go back and reread this thread. On one hand it says that just because some dogs of various breeds have more vicious or aggressive tendencies doesn't mean that all of the dogs of those breeds are that way.

Then read the post which states guard type territorial dogs should be kept contained, and only knowledgeable people should have them. Why? According to all of you, just because a few of the dogs might be aggressive doesn't mean that all of them are. But knowledgeable people should never let them loose on their own property because of the liability.

And, thank goodness I have experience with pitbulls, which are known as dog aggressive breeds. (Oh, no I'm sure that is only a few of them.) My son named the new pitbull "Jaws".
That little 50# ball of muscle wants to tear his way out of the cage and tear up Rufus, who is more than twice his size. Fortunately, I have a big house...

Ya'all have a good day.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Do we all HAVE to love every breed? If I write off pekingese because I have no intentions of ever owning one, think they are pretty unhealthy looking dogs and have no time or interest in grooming them, does that make me breedist?

Crowsfeet

facetious.
I feel as though the shelter that you're in contact with should know about your 'opinions', 'beliefs', and general comments, and I really hope they interview or have interviewed you scrupulously. I also hope your dogs are treated with the respect, compassion, love, and understanding they deserve.
And I quote.

Also, thank you for being so brave(and likely by brave, I in fact mean cowardly) as to answer(ignore) my questions.

And when I say that, I mean that the post you recently submitted is subjective and answers nothing.

First of all, I am terribly sorry if I have offended anyone, and I sincerely apologize.
If any of you read my first introduction, then you should know I tend to state my opinions, but it doesn't mean that I am trying to start any arguments. I'm not trolling.

How many of you have visited the vet, who promptly and wisely muzzles the dog? Is it okay if he makes a 'generalization' about the breed? My vet often muzzles my GSDs, simply because it is protocol...and I don't throw a fit about it because I understand why.

I love dogs, too, but experienced people make generalizations because of good reasons.
I went to a vet who did that.

Once. With the GSD I had at the time.

My vet now? He doesn't even consider muzzling my FILA.

No generalizations. But, he's an intelligent man.

Romy

Taxiderpy
And, thank goodness I have experience with pitbulls, which are known as dog aggressive breeds. (Oh, no I'm sure that is only a few of them.) My son named the new pitbull "Jaws".
That little 50# ball of muscle wants to tear his way out of the cage and tear up Rufus, who is more than twice his size. Fortunately, I have a big house...
You brought an intact male to your house and he wants to rip another male a new one. Same sex aggression is common in many breeds.

As for guardian breed owners being aware, yes in ANY dog that has a tendency to be protective, it is important for the owner to socialize the dog so that it has good judgement as to what is and what isn't a threat. A dog that has not been socialized or trained a reliable out (as in your dobes case) must be protected from situations where he can make mistakes...like letting him have access to strangers on his territory if you know you can't control him. :rolleyes:

There are dogs out there with just seriously defective wiring and it can't be helped, but the majority of the time it is just poor handling on the human's part.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Do we all HAVE to love every breed? If I write off pekingese because I have no intentions of ever owning one, think they are pretty unhealthy looking dogs and have no time or interest in grooming them, does that make me breedist?
Dizzy, nobody has to love every breed. I wouldn't go get a terrier on purpose just because they have different drives than I want to work with. Hounds are my thing. But I don't go around saying terriers are vicious terrorists that will destroy your house. And I don't go around saying most chows are bad dogs because I met a couple bad chows.

No dog is a bad dog because of it's size/breed/etc. That's what everybody is upset at bigdogs about.

B

BigDogs

And I quote.

Also, thank you for being so brave(and likely by brave, I in fact mean cowardly) as to answer(ignore) my questions.

And when I say that, I mean that the post you recently submitted is subjective and answers nothing.
Over the phone, there weren't any questions besides "which dog do you want?" In person, I simply drove to the shelter, signed a standard 'I'm getting this dog(s) form' and brought the dogs home with me.
However, I started a conversation with a shelter volunteer on Saturday, and we have done a lot of talking. Interestingly enough, it wasn't until I decided that I would also get the boy that the phone rang and I was told I could come and get the dogs. Perhaps it was just coincidence?

B

BigDogs

...and by the way, the shelter is as the website says. It's not ultra-modern, but the dogs look very well cared for.

Members online