Untangling Rose's ear fringe

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Before I cut it all off, I thought I'd ask. I came home today and Rose's left ear fringe is tangled up pretty much entirely into one big mat. Is there anything I can do to try to untangle it? I would hate to have to cut it all off because there would be almost nothing left.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
If she'll sit still for it, conditioner will help. There's also something with a different name for untangling horses manes and tails that might help.

Olive oil or vegetable oil might help as well.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Hopefully the groomers we have on here will pop in! I can try texting ours, lol. If you haven't already, I'd put de-tangler on it and start to work a little at a time with a slicker and a metal comb. ETA: Macky once matted her pretty spaniel ears so badly with tiny burrs that I really thought I was going to have the cut the hair, but little by little I got it out this way, and her ear hair was spared.

I'm sure there are other tricks that groomers can share!

yoko

How is she with letting you mess with it?

With Yoshi if I take a brush and hold as close as I can to the ear and try to brush it out. It usually lumps and brushes out. Sometimes I have to cut it but if I do it like this it just looks a little thinner instead of looking like I cut it all off.

If it's really pulling though I'll cut a tiny bit and see if it loosens it up.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I have not tried to mess with it yet but she's usually ok with it being messed with. I hate to make Rose cry, it's pathetic. She's the toughest though of the dogs.

I think she must've been scratching at her ear a while today.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Also, try to start with the widest toothed comb that you have and work your way down to finer teeth. You probably already know that.

FG167

I just went through SIX mats in Kastle's tail, one was massive. I used a LOT of Cowboy Magic, a LOT. It really helped to get it out. I also like paddle brushes for softer hair, and that's what I used when he was young, now I use an undercoat rake and hold the mat as close to the skin as I can while I brush it. Sometimes I can work through it with my fingers to make it easier to brush.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Cowboy Magic is totally the thing I was talking about for horses. It really really does work. Even on an Appy mare who dreadlocks her tail every time before show season.

The Stuff For Dogs and a mat breaker. It's my go to for owners who bring in matted dogs and don't want them short. Wonder how she managed to get it matted like that???

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I'm going to third or fourth Cowboy Magic detangler. That's what we use on dogs at work and I've used it numerous times on Bamm when he gets a little matted. I also use cowboy magic shampoo and conditioner on Bamm. Just love that stuff all around and it makes him super soft.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Can you link me to a decent one with a decent price? I may order...my BC gets matted a bit too
I'm definitely not a pro about them, but this is the one I have. It worked fine for Rosey? (Part BC)

http://www.amazon.com/Salon-Essentials-Matt-Breaker-blades/dp/B0056V9RKM/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1374017639&sr=1-1&keywords=Le+Salon+Essentials+dog+Mat+Breaker

If I could find mine, I'd just ship it to you since I have no use for it, but I have no clue where it went!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
So far no good. I only have one comb and it's not working well trying to untangle things. I have half a mind to just cut the fringe off.

Red Chrome

You need a slicker brush and some.Stuff or Solution or Cowboy Magic. I use all 3. You also need a mat splitter.

Members online

No members online now.