Thread Titles

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
where is the fight? I mean...there has been plenty of civil discussion in this thread, so why point out "the other"?

Lordy sometimes a cigar is JUST a cigar and sometimes a discussion...even one with *gasp* disagreement is JUST a discussion.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
where is the fight? I mean...there has been plenty of civil discussion in this thread, so why point out "the other"?

Lordy sometimes a cigar is JUST a cigar and sometimes a discussion...even one with *gasp* disagreement is JUST a discussion.
A NINE page "discussion" about a request to be more specific in thread titles?

there really is no reason for "the other" in a thread where a simple request was made. but peopel seemed to jump on the "rules and oppression" bandwagon and how stupid it was to make this a rule. when NO ONE said anything about making it a rule it was simply a request.

I just really dont' envy MT. I mean He was even basically accussed of just caring about the money and just wanting chaz to turn a profit.

maybe FIGHT was a bad choice of words but why is there such disagreement over a simple request to change your thread title from "ewwww" to something slightly more specific.

I also wanted to add a little bit about the members donating thing....

My only problem with that is I think that if we start paying for the forum ourselves then there is going to be an elevated feeling of entitlement when it comes to changes on the board. I mean We don't pay for the board now and people are disagreeing about the changes... if we start paying are those that paid going to feel that they deserve a bigger say?

scob89

DILLIGAF?
You said it right there sparks, lol Better than I could have.

How hard is it to add a few words to the title of a post? (I have been guilty of it before but will work on it from here on out)

And why is it so hard to upload pictures before making a thread about them? I love to see the pics, but once I read on a thread that someone has pictures, but still has to upload them then I don't ever look at that thread again.

The search was referring to Google... Not chaz...

Look, I realize no one cares about the financial side of things around here but me. However, this place cost money and I'd like to hope that some day, it can actually sustain itself without me having to come out of pocket every month to keep it running.

If that means the members have to adjust their thread titles to be "relevant", I don't think that is such an outrageous request.

The thread title is THE most important part of the post as it ends up being the page title, which in turn has the most impact on your search engine rankings.

This is why forums are so concerned with them. It directly impacts the traffic the forum gets, the members who join and the people who click on ads.
I read this a couple hours ago, and have sat/thought about it since. As members, we're already here, and use the search within the site if we wish to find something. Search engine hits are one of your focus's, to try to draw in new people....something that is nice for us, but not something we need.

However, you bought (ok, I'm assuming you bought it, and going from a very poor memory of the thread of the transistion) Chaz, and I suspect that you did it with the intent of running it as a business, or at least a portion thereof. Along with looking at the books, you had plenty of time to read, peruse, participate (if you so desired) the forum. If you did that at all, I'm sure you saw that thread titles aren't always the most explicit here.

When it was announced that you were taking it over, you wanted to maintain the feeling of chaz. Now you're making changes...fine, it's your ball, you can play the game how you want. If you take it home all for yourself even, you have that right as an owner.

At the same time, changing how the game is played, will affect some of the players...some will like it, some won't. Some might take there bat and gloves and go home themselves.

If Chaz, as is, doesn't earn enough to fund itself at least, there are options. Pay it yourself, add more ads that pay, ask for donations, or sell it and cut your losses. I suspect that if it were offered for sale publicly, there are members here that may consider buying it, but not completely certain myself.

I have been watching the forum the last while, and see the changes happening, both from within, and from it's leadership. Will it stay the same? Not with what's happening now and over the next week or so. Will it be better, worse, or just different? That remains to be seen.

If, making the thread title 'relevant' is an official request, do so. If it's a suggestion, state that. On the other hand, there's no reason why a thread title can't be adjusted if necessary. Using the ingrown toenail example, if it starts as 'Ewwwww', then develops into a thread that has good advice about it, a mod can simply state "This thread is a good one, I'd like to modify the title so it can be found easily during a search", I suspect most here won't object. Threads could also be moved to a section that are strictly for those topics as well, a forum section that is closed for open posting, but contains reference information. If, or when that is done, extra posts and the 'cutsey' titles etc can be edited out.

If you're going to change it, change it...the balls yours to do as you wish. There's lots of things on here that need fixing IMO, but, since the rules are going to be more enforced, I won't go itno it here, however, feel free to PM if you want.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
ok Im sorry but thats just ridiculous... and Im not trying to argue (well maybe) but having rules on thread titles relevent versus non relevent... thats just ermmmm stupid...

Everyone is going to have a different opinion on what is or isnt relevent... and that, well thats taking it a little too far...

and titles ARE what gain the thread some attention :rolleyes: so more of us (IMO) would click on a EWWWW GROSS rather than a Eww my dog has an ingrown toenail...[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything above. Vague titles catch my attention. It really doesent bother me *shrugs*.

I don't mind making my thread titles relevant for certain topics. But I'm not going to bother if it's a topic that's.... irrelevant. I mean, there are some threads that I wouldn't WANT to be found by search engine. If I want to make a thread about something off the wall, I don't see the need to state exactly what it's about in the title of the thread.

But if it is a relevant question or something, especially about dogs, then I will be happy to try to make my thread titles more specific.

MeatyTreats

Administrator
I don't mind making my thread titles relevant for certain topics. But I'm not going to bother if it's a topic that's.... irrelevant. I mean, there are some threads that I wouldn't WANT to be found by search engine. If I want to make a thread about something off the wall, I don't see the need to state exactly what it's about in the title of the thread.

But if it is a relevant question or something, especially about dogs, then I will be happy to try to make my thread titles more specific.
Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner! That is all that we ask... :D

Saje

Island dweller
So basically, no 'formal' rules. Just stop and think about your thread and if you think it's relevant to newbies and could help the community and other dog owners then make the title clear so that it's easier to find. Sounds reasonable to me. :D

Kjara

Oh..After an hour of reeding this thread I'm totaly confused..I know what you all are meaning to say or better yet what you all said in this thread but for me it is normal to give my thread title that you all will know what it is about..But I love the threads that are named ewwww, or OMG, or grrrr...I love that because I don't know what it is and i allways read it..For me it's interesting and I love when I don't know what is about..This is the first forum for me that is opend for everything (if you know what i mean)..The people can feel (I can) that you are a big happy familly..
But I can agree that there are some thread that should be named for what they are (if they are cry for help or something like that)..Maybe some people don't like when they have to find something but i really dont mind..
I hope by the time that i finished this i didnt lose point what i was traing to say...I just reallly, really love you all.... ;)

Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner! That is all that we ask... :D
So basically, no 'formal' rules. Just stop and think about your thread and if you think it's relevant to newbies and could help the community and other dog owners then make the title clear so that it's easier to find. Sounds reasonable to me. :D
Seems kind of sad that it's taken 95 posts to get the message clear for everyone. And I suspect there will be some that still aren't sure of what it really means.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
I've been trying to be pretty stoic about the whole thing (With Heath taking over, new skins, etc.). Here is the way I'm looking at it:

If we have new rules regarding posting (whether thread titles, content or whatever), if I wish to continue posting here I will abide by the rules. If we don't get new rules, it's business as usual.

The enforcing of the existing rules may be perceived as a "new rule" but that's not the way it is. It's like being pissed at the police for patrolling an area known for speeders and/or accidents and complaining about getting a ticket for breaking the law. Just because you used to get away with something doesn't mean you should have been getting away with it. Edit: And by "you" I am including myself as well.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
I have a thread title for the list..

"Save a life.. KY Alert" ;)

I spat my drink out when I read that, it might just be my perverted mind though..

Members online

No members online now.