This took my breath away...must see.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
But even if it turns out to be a dud someone will pay big money for a black horse with hair and then I could go rescue/buy 10 tbs.
:rofl1:

Well yea, if one landed in my lap for free, I wouldn't mind working with it just enough to get it sold...but... All the knee action and flashy hair just doesn't work for me. If all I want is a nice dressage horse, I'd look at various flavors of warmblood. I did eventing though and the last place you wanna be when the jumps don't fall down is on the back of a dumbblood.;) I really like Irish sporthorses.

Dekka

Just try me..

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Have you seen the current trend in dressage horses? Totilas for example. I am fine with all the 'leg flailing' as the detractors call it. But then I like knee action (but love the tb mind.. sigh) YouTube - Edward Gal & Moorlands Totilas Kür 92.300% FEI WORLD CUP DRESSAGE 2009 UK London Olympia he is the hottest thing since sliced bread in the dressage ring.

Most eventers are a good part dumblood now. The 'modern' sport horse is nothing like the dumblood of 15 years ago.
This is more my style:
YouTube - World Cup 2009 Las Vegas IV ~ Steffen Peters

As for what most eventers are these days, I admit to not having a clue. Been out of that world for a decade.

Paige

Let it be
I've known my fair share of smart warmbloods (and my fair share of less than clever ones), but really once you start going passed a certain stage in eventing their bodies aren't really cut out for the demand the sport puts on them. If I was strictly into dressage I may consider looking more into Warmblood type horses but as it stands with my love for eventing I'll take a Thoroughbred or even an Arab cross over one any day.

I wouldn't want that Fresian personally. Not my taste but I suppose that is more a matter of personal preference.

Dekka

Just try me..
Well to be fair most warmbloods are a good portion tb these days.. often at least an 8th.

I liked that one too, better music. Not as good in the piaffe, but also very good with the hind end.

Paige

Let it be
Very true. Warmblood is such a broad term. So many horses fall into the catagory yet have nothing in common with each other other than having four hooves. I tend to like a leaner type but my favorite warmblood I ever had the privledge of riding was a dinky 14.3hh Dutch Warmblood who was a power house. He made you feel like you were on something 17+hh. I should find a photo. He looked more like a large Shetland pony.

*shakes head*...

Just one more thread to prove that -

1) the only group of people worse for their need to disect every opinion than dog people, are horse people. I've lived it....dega vous.

And

2) I was right to stop posting here a long time ago.

I'll never understand how people can take something as beautiful as that creature and pick it's bones meatless... Sometimes beauty is just that and does not need disection.

This place is a freakin buzz kill.:rolleyes:

SweetAdeline

In heart with the cute
I wish I knew what everybody was talking about! I know nothing about horses except to say, "Ooooh, purty!" I thought that horse was AMAZING.

noludoru

Bored Now.
*shakes head*...

Just one more thread to prove that -

1) the only group of people worse for their need to disect every opinion than dog people, are horse people. I've lived it....dega vous.

And

2) I was right to stop posting here a long time ago.

I'll never understand how people can take something as beautiful as that creature and pick it's bones meatless... Sometimes beauty is just that and does not need disection.

This place is a freakin buzz kill.:rolleyes:
Touchy much? You just posted a picture of a video where you thought the horse was awesome and people who actually know stuff about horses offered their opinions on it. If the horse had been a super high quality Fresian doing dressage well, those opinions probably would have been different.

It's like if you posted a picture of your at stud purebred dog doing an agility course all wrong on a forum and the agility people said "cute dog, but you're DIW, oh, and your breeder is a BYB."

Dekka

Just try me..
Pretty much. I am sure we dog people would say the same thing if someone on a horse forum posted a stud dog they thought was soooo pretty because of its flowing hair. And it turns out its from a byb who doesn't title or health test...

You can see it as an attack... but really I think most people were discussing horses in an 'educational' way. Yes its a pretty horse, yes I like friesans. Is it a good example of the breed? No. Are the people standing it at stud reputable breeders? From their website I would say no...

How is it ok to educate people on ethical dog breeding but not ok to educate (and no one was the least bit nasty) on horse breeding. There are fantastic horses being sent to kill buyers with their shoes still on them because there are far too many horses in the US.. its as big a problem as too many dogs. Worse even as most get stuck on horrible double decker trailers and shipped long distances to be killed in facilities meant to kill cows...

When talking about their stallion this is what they say:
Pinnacle Friesians proudly introduces “FREDERIK THE GREAT†our very rare and special storybook Stallion. He was imported from Holland and brought to our farm. Frederik measures 16.3, with a mane and tail that speaks for itself.
really a 'story book stallion'? No talk about his performance, his grading, etc.. just his hair...

So if being a buzzkill helps educate people so less horses bred for companions end up on plates then sure I will have at it. Think if this was reversed 2little.. you would be horrified if this was happening to unwanted dogs.

Touchy much? You just posted a picture of a video where you thought the horse was awesome and people who actually know stuff about horses offered their opinions on it. If the horse had been a super high quality Fresian doing dressage well, those opinions probably would have been different.

It's like if you posted a picture of your at stud purebred dog doing an agility course all wrong on a forum and the agility people said "cute dog, but you're DIW, oh, and your breeder is a BYB."
Touchy much? Just maybe.... I shouldn't be surprised by this kind of negativity. From you though...I really am.

Read what I posted, think about how I felt when I posted it, then read the reply posts. You know exactly what I'm talking about though I'm sure you'll twist it to appear totally reasonable.

And for the record, I am a "horse person". My first job..let's see now, I was 14 years old so that was 35 years ago, was as a trail guide.. and I had already had my first 2 horses for almost 10 years.
Up until a few years ago, my involvement in the horse world in was daily.

To me, beauty does not equal perfection though for the record, that horse, just like my hot mess of a Chihuahua or out of standard Brussels or my Labradoodle are just that.

I don't guess I'll ever *get* horse people, any more than I get some of the rabid conformation people ;)

All I know is the only equine types I've been around that I'd want to repeat the experience were some Paint horses, an Appaloosa and several mules. That probably says a lot about me :rofl1:

That horse looked more like a creature from a Frank Frazetta fantasy painting than real, and I can appreciate that. Beauty doesn't necessarily conform to reality.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
To me, beauty does not equal perfection though for the record, that horse, just like my hot mess of a Chihuahua or out of standard Brussels or my Labradoodle are just that.
Pretty is fine and wonderful. I can go look at Vavra pictures for that all day though.

But for me, having spent many years doing absolutely nothing outside the world of horses, training with top level event riders, competing in dressage, hunters, hunter paces and horse trials I look at horses differently. I don't care about pretty mane and tail. I am passionate about structure and movement, because when I'm galloping over solid obstacles, structure and movement is going to keep me alive. And when someone is standing a horse at stud that has nothing more than a pretty mane and tail to offer, I'm not one to simply ooh and aah over it.

As with dogs, I adore Morgan and Tyr, and they are pretty dogs, but structurally they're not great and it seriously limits what they can do. Morgan has no legs, which makes keeping up with me at heel and going over jumps quite a task. Tyr can't even get his legs squared up enough to stack him, let alone ask him to manage a dog walk or teeter totter. Ares is quite out of standard for his breed and not much in the looks department, but so much more suitable for athletic endeavors, which to me makes him beautiful.

Dekka

Just try me..
There are friesian in kill pens.. I have seen rescues posting looking for people to rescue them.

I just assumed people didn't know that its a big problem. Freisians that are only being bred for pretty hair are ending up on people's plates.. I mean if you are ok with that.

So 2little do you promote people breeding dogs that aren't useful as pets? A useless horse is like an aggressive dog, no one wants it so it usually ends up dead. I am sorry but a trail guide isn't really serious horse experience. Any more than working at a pet store is serious dog experience. Being a trainer, breeder, etc is going to let you know more about the industry.

Unwanted dogs get killed and its sad. But at least its fairly humane. Unwanted horses face a horrific fate, I can post proof if you would like but its NOT nice.

Renee a good horse is a good horse. But this stallion is the equiv of someone coming on here with a dog with nice bloodlines, but no health testing, raving about how he should have puppies cause he is sooo kyoooot! It pushes the same buttons on horse people.. Another difference is horses are much larger than dogs. Conformation faults lead to lameness. Now lameness often leads to death as people don't want to look after a useless horse, and if the horse is sore enough its not fair to keep it alive. Its not about what you like. For example I am not a huge fan of tenessee walkers, but I would never cut up a good healthy example of one. I have said repeatedly I like Friesians (and some people have pointed out they don't) and that this one is pretty.. but not stallion worthy.

I never said 'ug 2little don't post this its horrible' I did say it was nice, and pretty. I just also pointed out that its not good promoting horses that their best feature is their ability to grow hair and little else.

I mean really read the website. Someone called their horse a dressage champion, so now they are saying he is. Well it doesnt' seem like he ever competed... they don't mention a level, or scores, just that some demo promoted him as such so now he is...

noludoru

Bored Now.
Touchy much? Just maybe.... I shouldn't be surprised by this kind of negativity. From you though...I really am.
What have I said that was negative? I was trying to point out in a nice way that you're being a little ridiculous about this, and relating it in terms that we as dog people would understand. They weren't attacking you, they were discussing the horse. Not in a positive way, admittedly, but still, it wasn't a direct attack or anything. Horsey stuff and dog stuff on here tends to get debated.

Read what I posted, think about how I felt when I posted it, then read the reply posts. You know exactly what I'm talking about though I'm sure you'll twist it to appear totally reasonable.
That's a little uncalled for. And I do know how you feel because sometimes I overreact, too - but I get over it (usually :eek:). If they had been personally attacking you I'd totally get where you're coming from, but so far I haven't seen any - just a discussion on the horse that pointed out that he didn't really have any good features except the hair and some very unethical owners.

I never said 'ug 2little don't post this its horrible' I did say it was nice, and pretty. I just also pointed out that its not good promoting horses that their best feature is their ability to grow hair and little else.
That sums it up, I think. Quite a few people who don't like the horse's conformation, movement, or breeder also said he was pretty.

Members online

No members online now.