The Official "What are you reading" Thread

RBark

Got Floof?
Legion is good. Alloy of Law... I honestly can't remember. So it was probably average, lol.
To be honest, I felt Mistborn wrapped things up neatly. So I am having a hard time bringing myself to read Alloy of Law. I know they don't take place in the same time period, but Mistborn feels "complete" as far as I am concerned.

Kootenay

To be honest, I felt Mistborn wrapped things up neatly. So I am having a hard time bringing myself to read Alloy of Law. I know they don't take place in the same time period, but Mistborn feels "complete" as far as I am concerned.
I agree, I started the Alloy of Law but I just couldn't get into it. I liked Mistborn a lot and the ending worked, I'm happy to leave it there.

Fran27

It's pretty much totally different. Same principle but not the same people at all. He's going to write a sequel to it too. I loved Mistborn.

Kootenay

Ok so I finished the Fever series and also Iced (which I really liked!), and now I'm tryyyying to get through the first Highlander book but I'm really not liking it at all...its like a plotless, predictable romance novel :( so strange cause I just love her other books!

Ok so I finished the Fever series and also Iced (which I really liked!), and now I'm tryyyying to get through the first Highlander book but I'm really not liking it at all...its like a plotless, predictable romance novel :( so strange cause I just love her other books!
Its weird isnt it. I saw a piece she wrote where she talked about it...how she was a fluffy romance writer basically but Mac grabbed hold and wouldnt let go. To me, the fever series is pretty dark and gritty yet comforting if that makes sense. There are really good life lesson type quotes in it....highlander, eh, stock romance really.

crazedACD

I just finished Divergent... ehhh. The end of the book picked up a little but I don't have a crushing need to go pick up the next book in the series, honestly.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
I just finished Divergent... ehhh. The end of the book picked up a little but I don't have a crushing need to go pick up the next book in the series, honestly.
That's how I felt but they get better! And seeing the movie made me want to read the other two. The 3rd is the best IMO!

Kootenay

That's how I felt but they get better! And seeing the movie made me want to read the other two. The 3rd is the best IMO!
I think you are the first person who has said that about the 3rd book! I've heard so many negative things about it that I actually haven't read it yet, because I'm scared to. Maybe I should?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I think you are the first person who has said that about the 3rd book! I've heard so many negative things about it that I actually haven't read it yet, because I'm scared to. Maybe I should?
You could look up spoilers if you want to... I did. :p I have no interest in reading the books or seeing the movies now after reading the spoiler. I'm still trying to get over the end of Hunger Games... I do not need that in my life LOL.

Equinox

I disliked Divergent, but probably to a greater degree. Thought it would be a good book to read because of all the hype, and I enjoy reading Young Adult genre books a great deal. My sister bought it and wanted me to read it so I can form my own opinion before discussing it with her (she hated it, but we like different types of books so it's no big deal).

Divergent is... awful. The story telling part of it is fine, but everything else is really bad. The characters are unlikable, inconsistent, and/or walking cliches. The main character is a Super Special Snowflake who all the others are jealous of because she's a Cool Kid. The author tries to make her "badass" but she's just flat out unlikable. Author does a very bad job of showing and not telling, and I think that's part of what makes her characters so irritating.

Setting/premise is entirely unrealistic, even for a dystopian teenager novel. Hunger Games, I could believe. Not this. The entire population being split up into 5 factions based on 5 basic personality traits, as a means for world peace (or whatever the reason was)? :rofl1: No way that'd ever happen.

Wanted to read Divergent for fun, light reading but wound up just feeling annoyed that this is a best selling novel.

I disliked Divergent, but probably to a greater degree. Thought it would be a good book to read because of all the hype, and I enjoy reading Young Adult genre books a great deal. My sister bought it and wanted me to read it so I can form my own opinion before discussing it with her (she hated it, but we like different types of books so it's no big deal).

Divergent is... awful. The story telling part of it is fine, but everything else is really bad. The characters are unlikable, inconsistent, and/or walking cliches. The main character is a Super Special Snowflake who all the others are jealous of because she's a Cool Kid. The author tries to make her "badass" but she's just flat out unlikable. Author does a very bad job of showing and not telling, and I think that's part of what makes her characters so irritating.

Setting/premise is entirely unrealistic, even for a dystopian teenager novel. Hunger Games, I could believe. Not this. The entire population being split up into 5 factions based on 5 basic personality traits, as a means for world peace (or whatever the reason was)? :rofl1: No way that'd ever happen.

Wanted to read Divergent for fun, light reading but wound up just feeling annoyed that this is a best selling novel.
I'm not the only one! I couldn't get past chapter 6 for the life of me, and if have had the damned book for 2 years. I just gave it back to the friend who lent it to me in fact.

Both my husband and my son read them, both HATED book 3, and the ending made them both mad lol. I wouldn't even go see the movie went they went.

Equinox

Forgot to add that I'm currently reading

- Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor (third/last book in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy), which is my current "light reading" book

- Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things (because nostalgia)

- Cloud Atlas (liked the movie a lot but never finished the book)

Thinking I'll start either reading the Mistborn or Name of the Wind/Kingkiller series next.

I'm not the only one! I couldn't get past chapter 6 for the life of me, and if have had the damned book for 2 years. I just gave it back to the friend who lent it to me in fact.

Both my husband and my son read them, both HATED book 3, and the ending made them both mad lol. I wouldn't even go see the movie went they went.
Haha thank goodness. I swear, all of my friends seem to really enjoy the book, and I really tried. I love reading YA novels and I go into them with basically zero expectations, because it's all for fun, but somehow Divergent really managed to get to me. If my sister hadn't bought the book and asked me to read it, I don't think I would have finished it.

I haven't read the sequels and don't plan to. I'll probably watch the movie though, when I can download it.

You could look up spoilers if you want to... I did. :p I have no interest in reading the books or seeing the movies now after reading the spoiler. I'm still trying to get over the end of Hunger Games... I do not need that in my life LOL.
The ending of Hunger Games... still not over that either :l It made me so angry!

Kootenay

Ahh, that is actually a good idea! Dare I? It feels like cheating somehow, but from everything I've heard it's just not worthwhile to read it,

Fran27

Still very slowly reading my way through The Wind Through The Keyhole. I'm 1/3 through and not so impressed so far.

eddieq

Silence! I ban you!
Staff member
Working on "Fade" my Lisa McMann. She also wrote Cryer's Cross, which I enjoyed. Fade is book two in a trilogy about a girl who "catches" dreams. It's not bad, once you get used to her writing style. Wake (book 1) was a little abrupt the way it ended, but Fade picked it up right away.

So, high praise or damning praise? :rofl1:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I keep rereading things. Which I need to stop. Though Dune was just as good the third go around...

I want some sort of heady Sci Fi/Fantasy. Nothing clichéd or Tolkien-esque......

Kootenay

I keep rereading things. Which I need to stop. Though Dune was just as good the third go around...

I want some sort of heady Sci Fi/Fantasy. Nothing clichéd or Tolkien-esque......
Try Outlander (Diana Gabaldon)! If you haven't already. Historical fiction with aspects of sci fi/fantasy. Or Kushiel's Dart (Jacqueline Carey) , more fantasy. I also really enjoyed the Fever series by Karen Marie Mining for more urban fantasy.

Dagwall

You checked out some Heinlein before? Check out The Moon is a Harsh Mistress if you want a good Sci Fi book.

Members online

No members online now.