TDI vs Delta/Pet Partners vs Other

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Nola had her first unofficial therapy dog visit today at the local retirement home, and she did awesome! I've decided to pursue therapy work with her, and I'm wondering which organization is best? Thanks for any help!

Saeleofu

Delta does not allow raw-fed animals or animals that live in a home with raw-fed animals, even if it's only occasionally. So I'd venture to guess most of the members of this forum excluded on that basis. Even if you just give a bite of raw meat or a RMB once every couple months, you can't participate.

TDI...I can't do TDI because they don't allow service dogs to also be therapy dogs, which is annoying, stupid, and discriminatory. So I wouldn't use them just on the principle of the matter. They are the most common one around here, though. Their test has changed recently, but it used to be super easy. Logan passed the test 2 weeks after I got him, but we didn't register since it would have been a waste of money since he would be unable to participate shortly after.

I've been meaning to look into TDInc and Love on a Leash, but I simply haven't had time yet. But I have heard good things about both organizations. The biggest problem would probably be finding an evaluator in your area.

Saeleofu

What's the principle behind the 'raw' rule?
From what I hear, supposedly the bacteria can be shed in the feces and then dogs lick their butts and then lick the rest of their coat and spread it everywhere. I think it's stupid - dogs should be bathed the day before/morning of a therapy visit, depending on what time of day the visit is. Plus how often has commercial dog food been recalled for salmonella? And it's not like dog poop is clean because they're fed kibble, either :rolleyes: "Raw" includes pig ears and bully sticks and the like, too.

They even go so far as to say you should feed cooked bones to your dog. Sorry, I can't stand behind that. That's dangerous and stupid.

http://www.petpartners.org/rawdiet

Members online

No members online now.