Strawberries Toxic!

pitbulliest

I fed my dogs strawberries yesterday...the pit bull got maybe 4 or 5 and the Chi got 2 small ones...

I just found out today that these fruits can cause cynide poisoning in dogs...God you learn something new every day..

I also gave them bananas...which I know are ok..and apples and carrots..but I'm worried about the berries...they're ok..no problems up to now..but I was wondering could this have caused any long term affects..or could something bad pop up later on because of this? I feel terrible :(

Mordy

Quigleyfied
A couple strawberries now and then are not going to harm your dog. A lot of the items on "do not feed" lists are hyped up unnecessarily. :)

Some dogs, just like people, can have violent allergic reactions to strawberries.

pitbulliest

phew..well thank goodness...
I just wanted to make sure that they're not deadly at first bite or anything..although like I said, the dog's been just fine for over 24 hours so I suspect if anything was to happen it most likely would have, right?

Oh boy!

I didn't know this AT ALL! Oh boy! I made strawberry deserts a couple of times this summer and would feed Wrigley the tops which I cut off the berries probably 10 of 'em! He is fine and was fine.....I will not feed him them again after reading this though!

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
Hmm, I didnt know this either. I dont give my dogs much strawberries though. They do get garlic, but I moniter how much I give, and how often.

dogstarsleddogs

The dog is never wrong!
i dont think a rare grape or two would cause any harm, but I wouldnt make it a habit. I think alot might also have to do with the size of the dog. One grape to a Chi is alot different then one grape to a Great Dane!

Lizmo

Water Junkie
i dont think a rare grape or two would cause any harm, but I wouldnt make it a habit. I think alot might also have to do with the size of the dog. One grape to a Chi is alot different then one grape to a Great Dane!
Good b/c I gave Lizzie grapes (maybe 5 a month) this summer! ;) *sigh*

Members online

No members online now.